Welcome to Kansas' Hunting Forum
Last Post 30 Nov 2010 08:04 AM by grouchyolddude. 80 Replies.
Author Messages
HuntingNutUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:73 HuntingNut
--
01 Jul 2009 01:18 PM

If you are a hunter from Kansas or someone who frequently hunts there, this is the place for you.  You can share information about hunting throughout the state or talk about anything you'd like.  Introduce yourself and get to know more about hunting in the great state of Kansas. So, welcome and enjoy!

Hunting is Life- Enough Said
    grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    16 Jul 2009 06:44 AM
    I'm not "from" kansas, but have an inherent interest because it is my hunting spot
    Any reports/opinions on hatch numbers for this year?
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY GUN
    HogspitUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:49 Hogspit
    --
    27 Jul 2009 09:53 AM

Have not seen "offical" numbers, and they change from area to area, but my area {sw}is looking hot! The weather has done good this year, hail has been low, but good rain. it looks close to last year.... and last year was amazing!

grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    27 Jul 2009 12:27 PM

Yup Hogspit, I hunted in the Liberal, Hugoton area and it was nothing short of fantastic last year. Glad to hear their doing well again..

HogspitUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:49 Hogspit
    --
    27 Jul 2009 12:36 PM

We guide out of the Hugoton area. Born and raised there. Some people cant believe we got to do that every day! lol

2 FEATHERSUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:6 2 FEATHERS
    --
    27 Jul 2009 08:38 PM

HOGSPIT- I LIVE IN SCOTT CITY ABOUT 12O MILES NORTH OF YOU.  LOOKS LIKE THE HATCH IS PRETTY GOOD AROUND HERE. I TOURNAMENT MOST OF THE TIME.  SEND ME YOUR ADDRESS AS WERE ARE HAVING A TOURNAMENT OCT.31 & NOV. 1 WITH SOME ADDED MONEY.  I'LL SEND YOU A FLIER .  2FEATHERS

--
    28 Jul 2009 06:46 AM
    2feathers... I hunt round scott a bit too! Mostly east and south toward Ness. I like what I'm hearing about the #'s..
    I guess all I need now is a report from the Colby area!.. :p
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    30 Jul 2009 07:06 PM
    Great pics. I'm very jealous. I dream of days like those.
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    --
    31 Jul 2009 07:51 AM
    thanks pnb. yep.. "a dream come true"

I'm sure we saw in excess of 500 birds that day. It may not be the Dakotas, but it ain't bad
    Graybird66User is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:21 Graybird66
    --
    03 Aug 2009 11:29 AM
    I think that you all need to have a Colorado boy join up with you. If it helps at all, my dog is from Kansas :-)
    Dog WatcherUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:2 Dog Watcher
    --
    21 Aug 2009 04:20 PM

I was planning a trip to the area around Hays...Is this a good Idea??  Just me and a friend.  We are looking for pheasant and quail.  I'm not looking for specific spots just a general idea.  I will be using the atlas to find spots to hunt....Thanks guys

JvTUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:1 JvT
    --
    22 Aug 2009 07:35 AM
    Just be prepared to walk a lot and cover as many properties as you can.
    jballardUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:40 jballard
    --
    22 Aug 2009 10:42 AM
    Is there a lot of public land in your area and/or are the local farmers pretty good about granting permission?
    --
    25 Aug 2009 02:46 PM

I travel to hunt there jon, 300 + miles I suppose. I hunt primarily public, CRP walk-in, in the western half of the state. Early in the season, it can get pretty crowded on weekends especially. During the week, not so bad. But as season wears on, those public birds get "TUFF". By christmas, you pretty much have it all to yourself, but as I suppose is the case anywhere, birds are fewer and farther between.
    I've had relatively good success asking farmers for permission.'later in the season', they seem to be more open than early, too. I do seem to see more and more wanting $$ per shotgun.

--
    29 Aug 2009 11:02 AM
    Was home while back checking on stuff and cutting. Lord its going to be good!
    --
    29 Aug 2009 02:17 PM
    Posted By Hogspit on 29 Aug 2009 12:02 PM
    Was home while back checking on stuff and cutting. Lord its going to be good!

Yahooooooooooooooooooo!  

PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    30 Aug 2009 08:44 AM
    I'll want to see pics and stories. Share them when you can please.
    --
    30 Aug 2009 07:33 PM
    Not sure on the pics thing yet! trying to figure it out.
    lvrgspUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:3 lvrgsp
    --
    31 Aug 2009 06:39 AM

I'll be a headed that way coming mid novemeber, so if you see some Illinois boys with some shorthairs looking dumbfounded and scratching our heads, it will probably be me....How's the quail looking down that way round liberal, hugoton.....

Lvrgsp

--
    09 Sep 2009 07:39 PM
    Looks good around Hugoton , not sure around liberal.
    --
    09 Sep 2009 07:42 PM
    Cutting corn for cattle. Jumping 200 to 300 birds a circle.Not sure about corners.
    --
    10 Sep 2009 06:53 AM

Where abouts are you located again? 

--
    11 Sep 2009 04:56 PM

South west Kansas. I cant figure out  the pics but its on my web. Hope this does not break any rules.

http://www.sagebrushoutfitters.com/Home.html

--
    12 Sep 2009 01:54 PM
    CAn someone tell me about the pics system?
    --
    23 Sep 2009 12:35 PM
    Hogspit, I don't think you're breaking any rules as long as you're not advertising. You're simply trying to point me in the direction of some pics. With respect to posting pics here, I've never done it, but there is a tab at the top right hand corner labeled "Upload Pictures" that might be able to help. I'm a computer idiiot so anything further, you're better off asking gamebirdhunts.

By the way, nice website and pics.
    --
    24 Sep 2009 07:30 AM
    "CAn someone tell me about the pics system?"

There is a link to upload pic's to the "gaallery", from there, you 'can' link them to the forum/threads. BUT.. I found "what is easiest" for ME, rather than use the "Quick reply" box, click the "Add reply" button. That gives you more options for posting links, emoticons, quotes, text size, ect.

Scroll down to the bottom, see a window to add 'attachments'. That gives you the option to dl right from your computer and add it to the thread.

Hope it helped ..

grouchy...
    HuntingNutUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:73 HuntingNut
    --
    25 Sep 2009 09:09 AM
    GrouchyOldDude is correct! The best way to attach photos to forums is by clicking "Add Reply" below. It then takes you to a new page that you can upload pictures by clicking "Attachments" at the bottom. Simply click "Browse" and find the pictures where you have them stored on your computer and add them and they will be attached to this forum as you desire.

Don't worry about breaking any rules in the future with posting pictures and things to forums, as long as it isn't any form of advertisement, it's ok. That's what GameBirdHunts is here for. To let fellow hunters interact and share photos and such and expand this great sport as much as possible. So feel free to upload non-advertisement pictures when you can to develop your stories and back your claims whenever you'd like.
    Hunting is Life- Enough Said
    --
    05 Oct 2009 04:43 PM

--
    05 Oct 2009 04:44 PM

--
    05 Oct 2009 04:52 PM

--
    05 Oct 2009 04:53 PM

--
    05 Oct 2009 04:54 PM

--
    05 Oct 2009 04:55 PM

--
    05 Oct 2009 04:56 PM

--
    05 Oct 2009 04:57 PM

--
    05 Oct 2009 04:57 PM

--
    05 Oct 2009 04:58 PM

--
    05 Oct 2009 05:00 PM

That was last year. Don't have any pics loaded up for previous years. All Wild birds,All private land. Only two of those pics were us guiding, the rest are just fun Hunts with friends and Family. Went hunting 9 times last season 5 were work hunts the others were fun hunts....[if you consider it work!] LOL

--
    05 Oct 2009 05:12 PM

--
    05 Oct 2009 05:12 PM

--
    05 Oct 2009 05:13 PM

--

--

--
    05 Oct 2009 05:14 PM

--
    05 Oct 2009 05:14 PM

--
    05 Oct 2009 05:16 PM
    This is the kind of land we are hunting, dont hunt circles unless we get a large group together. Mostly hit corners, and well heads, old farm houses.
    --
    05 Oct 2009 05:18 PM

This is brian and I doing something diffrent from upland.

--
    05 Oct 2009 05:21 PM

--
    05 Oct 2009 05:21 PM

--
    05 Oct 2009 05:22 PM

This Is "Gunner" the CFO  of our group.

--
    05 Oct 2009 08:02 PM

--
    05 Oct 2009 08:06 PM
    --
    06 Oct 2009 07:06 AM
    ....okay, now you're just showing off!... hee hee..
    great bunch o' pictures! thanks for sharing
    --
    06 Oct 2009 04:44 PM

LOL

--
    20 Oct 2009 10:15 AM
    Hogspit, that was awesome. Great pics, super YouTube spot. Thank you for sharing.

--
    08 Nov 2009 07:27 AM

I just talked to my 'buddy' down @ hugoton/Liberal. He took a cpl of Youth hunters out yesterday. Said it was about 75*, but he saw over a 1000 birds by 10:00 am!!! .. Also said they were THE biggest roosters he has ever seen ..... Some feed is still going to be standing by next weekend, and rain in the forecast.
    tick tick tick.......... I've a feeling this week is going to DRAG by...

Got 'somewhat' of a report from up north too, Colby area. A truck driver said he must have seen in excess of 20 hit and killed on I-70 between Colby and the Co state line. That has to say something about the numbers, no?..   I mean, shoot... I've "TRIED" to run 'em down with the pickup.... without much luck..:p

--
    18 Nov 2009 04:53 PM

20 guys.... 80 birds....  back at the house by 10:am  how did everyone's opening day go?

--
    19 Nov 2009 07:49 AM
    I wish...

--
    19 Nov 2009 12:45 PM

I missed opening day, didn't get in until late Sunday in the snow 'n freezing drizzle.
     Absolutely knocked 'em dead Monday. 5 guys 20 roosters and 10 quail by about 1:00 I suppose.
    The wife called me about an hour and a half into my drive, "You didn't want to take your camera?"..

--
    22 Nov 2009 11:18 AM

Should have a new video up on you tube soon.......much better with a gun then a camera! lol  lot to learn.

MitchellUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:1 Mitchell
    --
    28 Nov 2009 06:38 PM
    Tennessee fellas that used to hunt every year in Rooks and Graham looking to get some feedback as to where to spend our 5 precious days in region 1/3 areas as i heard it is the place to be this year. Got a couple young labs that i really need to put on some birds. Any help greatly appreciated.
    --
    06 Dec 2009 03:02 PM
    --
    07 Dec 2009 08:21 AM
    Hogspit, the link didn't work for me.
    --
    07 Dec 2009 03:08 PM

www.youtube.com/watch

Sorry about that...

--
    08 Dec 2009 07:53 AM
    Great stuff.

--
    09 Dec 2009 12:08 PM

I am much better with a gun!  lol long way to go to get better pics.  12 this weekend hope to get some camera time.

--
    16 Dec 2009 05:09 PM

Friday, Saturday and Sunday.. hunted some tall milo stubble and corn. Wish I could unwrap my hands from around the O/U long enough to try a video.

--
    17 Dec 2009 09:30 PM
    Looks Like fun! Going Back for 4 more days at Christmas. Hope its Cooler weather.
    --
    27 Dec 2009 06:58 AM
    me 2!... leaving tomorrow for one more trip on the 09 liscense..
    --
    29 Dec 2009 02:57 PM

Check the rules someone said it does not end on Jan. 1.  I dont know I have a lifetime.

--
    04 Jan 2010 06:21 AM
    You guys are killin' me! Great pics. I am so jealous.
    --
    04 Jan 2010 09:15 AM

another fantastic time...

HuntingcoonUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:1 Huntingcoon
    --
    07 Jul 2010 09:40 AM

Wus wondering if you hunt with dogs when you guide. If so i have a trip planned and probably will be in need of dogs due to the fact my buddys dogs are not going to cut it. My buddy David grew up in hugaton and says it is a good place to hunt so we are looking at coming up and want to hunt for opening weekend. If you guide with dogs would be interested in talking to you to see how much. Thanks.

--
    07 Jul 2010 05:12 PM
    We do hunt with dogs, but November has been booked for a month. Sorry. Check out the web page, and let me know.

http://www.sagebrushoutfitters.com/...tters.html
    --
    28 Nov 2010 07:25 AM

KS opener 2010....

--
    29 Nov 2010 07:28 AM
    What A great Year! Lots of birds! Had Opening weekend then Right in to our first Clients! Had A great time and Many Birds. Love this stuff!
    --
    29 Nov 2010 07:52 AM
    Wow! That's about all I can say to that....wow!
    --
    29 Nov 2010 08:32 AM
    Posted By Hogspit on 29 Nov 2010 08:28 AM
    What A great Year! Lots of birds! Had Opening weekend then Right in to our first Clients! Had A great time and Many Birds. Love this stuff!

I couldn't believe the bird #'s!!    and the hen/rooster ratio seemed "exceptionally" high as well. I "guessed" like 4/1 for the rootys.. :p  You notice the same hogspit?  
    THANK YOU KANSAS!

--
    29 Nov 2010 08:33 AM
    ??? not sure why those all appear as quotes ?? :p
    --
    30 Nov 2010 06:00 AM
    Grouchy, what part of Kansas do you hunt? Do all areas have this kind of population? How is the public land opportunities?
    --
    30 Nov 2010 08:04 AM
    I hunt anywhere in the western third I guess pnb. With only two trips this year to base it on, I found the better numbers in the SW. I hunted up around Scott county last week, and didn't feel the population was quite as good in that area. BUT... I was hunting solo, not with a big group that can push the big fields where you get up the big numbers.. AND... I hunted only public immediately following a high pressure weekend.
    I can't really call it a fair comparison. I did hear talk of 'pockets' that recieved some bad hail during the brooding up in that area. Maybe I was just lucky enough to have found one of those pockets
    The KDWP has maps downloadable to almost any Garmin gps. As it does for "Google Earth" as well. Even though I know a few spots from past ventures, I used the two in combination, to pre-program a 'route' into the gps. Along with a 'hard copy' of the maps, it makes finding your way around to spots waaaay easier for me. Since the areas are open for deer, turkey, dove, ect., not "every" WIHA area is going to be a good pheasant producer. Sometimes it takes some looking.
    "I" try to concentrate my efforts on more remote spots, further off the beaten track. When I find a prospective one, I'll then try to find the most remote, hardest to reach portion of that to work.

---