Looking for Pigeons in SE WI
Last Post 25 Jan 2010 07:50 PM by TCJACK. 5 Replies.
Author Messages
freefallgspUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:65 freefallgsp
--
24 Jan 2010 09:19 PM

Okay, here's the deal:

I have been a BIG fan of using quail (pen raised, obviously) on my dogs for training and wonderful birds for puppies. However, within the last month or two, I have noticed that the pen birds are not the quality they used to be. Sure, I can keep them in the garage for weeks at a time and that saves me money, especially if I buy them in bulk. But when I buy them straight from my bird guy, the birds have been a little sketchy and not really toned and do not readily flush for pups when they are not in the launcher or having to be forcefully kicked to "get going". Not to mention that when they are shoved in the launcher and catapulted into the sky, they kinda flap like they are "drowning" in flight and just flop within 20 feet of being released. This is not good for young puppies which need to chase birds but cannot catch them...

However, if I keep them in the garage with the heat lamp, clean food (wild bird feed with a heavy concentrate of sunflower seeds, millet, and thistle... some safflower and they seem to get fat and nicer feathers...I have also added in vitamins and given them ample time out in the elements during nice days, etc. without flight and they improve within a week, but when I need to use them when I buy them I find this impossible) and water... but the time it takes get them to the point where I can use them correctly, time has escaped to help continue working dogs to full potential in a small amount of time. So I guess my next question is...

Where do I go from here? Has anyone heard of where pigeon trapping is allowed or I can buy some birds for relatively dirt-cheap. I live in Greenfield, WI (just 30-45mins outside of Milwaukee) and I have called the 7-Mile Fair number at the state line by Illinois but they are uncertain if they have "pigeon breeders" in their flea circuit. I have also checked craigslist.com and haven't found much other than needing to take a drive 3 hours to pay $5/bird, which I'm currently paying for the flightless quail wonders. I'd rather not pay $7 for a chukar, either! Guessing you could say I'm a little confused by all of this running around now... and a little desperate. 

Home Of:

Suma Kiss of Kings MH

Hunter's Ridge Sinking the Bismarck MH
    Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"A good bird dog is only as good as your aim, as the proof is always in the bag." - Unknown
    Tags: Pigeons, Pen Raised Birds
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    25 Jan 2010 07:47 AM
    It should be legal to trap pigeons any where and most feeds lot will let you. A trap is like $30 and man do they fly. I used to raise my own and it takes little room but you just need to find some. $5 is the going price. Try running an add on craigslist of your own looking for pigeons some one might have them and don't know that people would take the off their hands. I know what your talking about on birds. It's like they raise them under government contract or something. One other idea is to check with feed stores see if they know anyone or anywhere you can get pigeons. Good Luck.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    freefallgspUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:65 freefallgsp
    --
    25 Jan 2010 02:29 PM
    Yeah, I have the pigeon trap, I bought one when I was originally going to trap my own but found that I could use quail instead... I have called Animal Control here to see what they do when they have a "pigeon" issue and they weren't very helpful, lol. Thanks for all the help, it is a few ideas to consider.

Jessica
    Home Of:

Suma Kiss of Kings MH

Hunter's Ridge Sinking the Bismarck MH
    Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"A good bird dog is only as good as your aim, as the proof is always in the bag." - Unknown
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    25 Jan 2010 05:17 PM
    Try eggbid.com they might have some.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    25 Jan 2010 07:33 PM
    There are some on gundogsonline.com in Iowa. Their on the used items for sale page.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    TCJACKUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:46 TCJACK
    --
    25 Jan 2010 07:50 PM
    I've found that pen raised pigeons fly very well, i buy them pretty young and when i get them they have never flown before. Unlike game birds flying is instinct to pigeons , so they really dont need to be flight conditioned to fly well. You can usually find hubbells around from breeders for about 2.50-5.00$ They are super tough and durable! There's my 2 cents!

---