just got a 5 year old weimaraner, good on ducks will he do pheasants?
Last Post 15 Jan 2011 06:59 PM by Partagas. 0 Replies.
Author Messages
PartagasUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:1 Partagas
--
15 Jan 2011 06:59 PM

I picked up this dog from a guy going through a divorce.  He had three dogs and now doesn't have room.  The dog is well adjusted and gets along great with my other dog, kids, etc.  The previous owner said he didn't really hunt him this year but is great on ducks and geese.  He said he has a good nose but didn't really seem to go after the pheasants like he did the ducks and geese.

I have the option of returning the dog to the humane society if I don't like him.  I am going to try and see if he will point birds tomorrow.  I want to make up my mind fairly quickly with him as the longer he is here the harder it will be to take him back especially for the wife and kids.  I don't really want two dogs that don't hunt.  I want  to get a second dog that will be a good hunter.

To me it seems if he retrieves and is birdy for ducks and geese he would for whatever birds you put in front of him. I don't have a whole lot of experience with bird dogs and wonder it that is true, does he have potential to be a good pheasant dog?

Thanks,

Rusty

---