YOUR DOG
Last Post 18 Oct 2009 10:43 PM by Hillbilly. 84 Replies.
Author Messages
BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
--
09 Jul 2009 02:04 PM

Tell us about your dog. Post a picture if you have one.

My Birddoog is a Brittany. He is 10 years old come September 1 and in his 9th hunting season. He loves to hunt all upland birds but his #1 is Pheasant. He hunted them most as a pup and I guess that is why. In that picture, the pheasant is about 12 inches inside that clump of weeds.....Bob

My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    13 Jul 2009 09:29 AM

Great pic, Bob.  I've got a Brit too, but she is only 5.  I don't get her out as much as I'd like, but she's a wonderful member of our family.

I'll have to try and post a pic after I figure out how.

Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    llewellinUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:102 llewellin
    --
    16 Jul 2009 02:41 PM
    i have an english setter who is 2 years old. she is a very birdy and driven dog. she just wants to hunt and run. she is force broken, almost steady to wing and shot (some slight work still needs to be done but we are working every day) she does not have the best nose as far as scenting a bird from very far away. she will maybe scent the bird from 15-20 yards at most and will get birdy and creep until going on point 5-10 feet from the bird. she is a close working dog but i am starting to see the benefits of letting the dog range she is a very fast dog coming from field trial stock but she can go at that pace for 4 + hours. when we let her range she checks back in fairly frequently. she is my favorite hunting buddy. and my favorite thing in the world is seeing her lock up on point and working with her to produce birds
    BertUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:51 Bert
    --
    27 Jul 2009 03:15 PM

I I have a 5 year old Black Lab that I've trained with The Smartworks Program.

My little buddy loves to hunt anything with feathers.(HE HATES WOODCOCKS) He will find the downed Woodcock for you but you can't get him to pick it off the ground.

His nose for birds is second to none. My dog loves thick cover and the edges of woods. He is a lean mean hunting machine. He is whistle, hand signal and verbally trained.

NRA Life Member, NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor, NRA Cert. RSO, Class III RSO/KCR
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    27 Jul 2009 04:13 PM
    Wow I got to many to list 8 GSP's, 3 Griffons, 5 pointing labs, and 2 EP's all of which I hunt Grouse, Chukar, Quail, Huns, and Phez in my home state of Oregon we also hunt sage hen sometimes. I use a couple different training methods depending on the dog. And I have medium but wide ranging pointing dogs to close working pointing dogs to cover the diversity of birds I hunt. We hunt the pointing labs just like any other lab they point flush and retrieve plus they are trained to take hand and whistle signals.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    27 Jul 2009 05:09 PM
    Man Hillbilly you do have dogs. I have my hands full with one. That is far to many for this old soul......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    28 Jul 2009 10:53 AM
    Some are my son's but I don't work just do the dog thing so I have time. plus I hunt birds more then alot during season and have plenty of ground to run on . This weekend we're doing the catch and release thing for 2 days. I got the photographer going sunday so I'll have some cool pics.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    bailey blueUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:21 bailey blue
    --
    28 Jul 2009 12:08 PM
    I have a one year old GSP that is a great hunting companion, and family member. She's great with my three girls, and they love her to pieces. We hunt mainly released birds at our club, but do get out for grouse here and there. There's is nothing better than seeing her ear to ear grin as she's bounding above the high grass to "check in" with Dad. That and the abrupt "rearend in the front seat" stop when she's got the delicious scent of pheasant blowing in the breeze.
    jballardUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:40 jballard
    --
    28 Jul 2009 08:31 PM

I have a chocolate lab.  Great dog but getting old (Near 10 now)  I keep thinking about a new dog but I'm not sure what I would get and I know my dog would be really sad to see me load another dog in the truck with my gun.  Even at 10 it's still hard to keep him out of my truck if I get my gun out.

Emerson The Chocolate Lab Hunting Dog

--
    28 Jul 2009 09:44 PM

Jballard, I'm in the same boat with my dog, he'll be 10 Sept. 1. I think I'll wait untill he has problems hunting before I get a new one. He so much a part of my life, I find it hard to think of going hunting without him......Bob

llewellinUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:102 llewellin
    --
    29 Jul 2009 08:52 AM

my dad and i hunted our last dog til she was 14 the only reason we stopped was because she went deaf.

--
    29 Jul 2009 11:17 AM
    Ya I got buddies that hunted their dogs up till 15 but they had really slowed down. My old dog is 10 1/2 but he took out an elbow going after chukars over a cliff at 7 he still hunts but only for an hour or so.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    29 Jul 2009 11:17 AM
    Ya I got buddies that hunted their dogs up till 15 but they had really slowed down. My old dog is 10 1/2 but he took out an elbow going after chukars over a cliff at 7 he still hunts but only for an hour or so.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    bailey blueUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:21 bailey blue
    --
    29 Jul 2009 11:40 AM
    Do you think it best to get a second dog earlier in your firsts life to avoid some of the reservations about getting a second dog later? It will still be hard to leave the older dog home when necessary though...
    --
    29 Jul 2009 11:58 AM
    I have a bunch of dogs but from what I've seen staggering them what about 5 years works great. But not every one has time or room for 2. When I retired my 2 old dogs the male was a little upset but the female didn't mind. Even when I train which is alot I get the old dogs out to run birds to.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    29 Jul 2009 12:28 PM
    In my case Tony is so sensitive, I don't know how he'd respond to another dog. I am going to wait until he is too old to care and then get his replacement.....Bob
    --
    29 Jul 2009 12:28 PM
    In my case Tony is so sensitive, I don't know how he'd respond to another dog. I am going to wait until he is too old to care and then get his replacement.....Bob
    --
    29 Jul 2009 02:00 PM
    Probably a good idea Bob.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    29 Jul 2009 03:21 PM
    we were actually considering getting another dog recently but last time we had 2 dogs the one we got first, her mood and temperment changed after that. i am afraid to ruin our current dog by getting another. to be fair though the dog whose mood changed and stuff we got her from a poor breeder and way to early (5 weeks) and got them i think only a year or two apart.

actually i shouldnt say we because i wasnt even born yet, but my family got her and i lived with both those dogs for ten years atleast for the first dog and 14 for the second dog.

my current dog would most definitely be crushed. if any of you guys have read http://www.amazon.com/Big-Red-Jim-K...0553154346 the book big red. the situation of introducing a new dog to red (who is an irish setter) describes exactly how my dog would react
    grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    30 Jul 2009 07:52 AM

Spoiled rotten. Coming 5 this fall. "HE" started me, on dove and band tailed pigeons at one year. He showed me that he loved it so much, that I was prompted to join a club/reserve that stocks pheasant and chukar. It' has developed into my making 6, six hour drives to western KS last winter, at least a half dozen trips to the reserve, and two tournemant hunts...

I "think" we're hooked..

I've been thinking seriously about adding a dog. My best hunting partner/grandson is feeling like he wants/needs his own dog. But I've dog sat, both my sons chocolate and another hunting buddies black for a few days at a time. My dog pouts and acts out like a spoiled kid when he feels that too much attention is being devirted from him.. I'm not sure how well he would accept a new puppy.

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY GUN
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    30 Jul 2009 08:44 PM

I've got a Brit named Brie.  I've heard it said that you pick a dog that is an extension of your personality.  My dog is rotten, won't listen unless food is involved and farts when company is over.....I love my dog. 

--
    30 Jul 2009 11:00 PM
    Is that a joke PB, or is Brie that much a different bred of Brittany. That did bring a laugh out of me.....Bob
    --
    31 Jul 2009 06:17 AM

No, she is a pretty typical Brit. But like all of us, she has her moments.   But I do love her.  She is part of my family.

--
    31 Jul 2009 07:50 AM
    Can I borrow her when doing dog deals might speed a few people up.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    31 Jul 2009 01:48 PM
    Know what you mean Pork, Tony is a big part of my and my wife's life. We call him "Our Baby.".....Bob
    --
    31 Jul 2009 01:48 PM
    Know what you mean Pork, Tony is a big part of my and my wife's life. We call him "Our Baby.".....Bob
    --
    31 Jul 2009 04:28 PM
    Hillbilly, there are days I'd give her to you....but I'd ask for her back in about 10 minutes.

--
    31 Jul 2009 08:19 PM
    I wouldn't take her you and your family have spoiled her rotten and my to house dogs would get mad at me. But I would get a kick out of the fart around company.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    31 Jul 2009 11:49 PM
    Our dogs Pork and mine are not "Spoiled Rotten." They are just overly loved Right Pork.......Bob
    --
    03 Aug 2009 06:39 AM
    Amen Bob.
    BuckeyeUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:31 Buckeye
    --
    07 Aug 2009 05:49 PM

Here's my little girl, this will be her first real season.  Pixel is the name, all I have to do is pull out the collar and she starts to whimper around my feet.  Put her in the field where we train and she just goes nuts.  Also, she's plenty abused, as she now has free run of the couch and about 7 chew toys on the living room floor.

--
    07 Aug 2009 07:30 PM

From a Brittany Man, That is one fine looking dog. She looks to have long legs which is good around here. The weeds/cover can get pretty tall sometimes, a tall dog is an advantage.......Bob

--
    10 Aug 2009 06:58 AM
    Buckeye, why should your dog be any different on the run of the house?
    BuckeyeUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:31 Buckeye
    --
    10 Aug 2009 12:56 PM
    PnB, no real reason, but I do draw the line at asking for the truck keys. I don't want to be seen as one of those "permissive parents"
    --
    10 Aug 2009 02:02 PM
    Buckeye, does that mean she has her our Plate at the dinner table???....Bob
    --
    11 Aug 2009 06:44 AM

Buckeye, nice comeback. 

turboUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:13 turbo
    --
    11 Aug 2009 10:08 PM
    I hunt all my upland birds with English Springer Spaniels.I don't hunt as much as I would like(but who does)I have had 2 ESS in my hunting adventures.In my opion they give the most excitement-the not knowing of the flush,the where ,the when.My first has passed away a very sad day.My second one is 6yr old and is now acting like part of the family rather than a hunting dog-which is not a bad thing.both love to retrieve all I have to do is hit em
    Huntig birds without a good dog is not worth going out
    --
    12 Aug 2009 05:07 PM
    Welcome to the site Turbo, Nice to have you here. Could you tells us a little more about you. Where are you from and that sort of stuff.......Bob
    grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    02 Sep 2009 11:59 AM

Was just handed a 'new one'.. 14 month old lab'. Has had some basic training, but never hunted.

I reckon we'll see if he makes the final cut..

--
    02 Sep 2009 12:25 PM
    It looks to be in good shape, very nice dog. Good luck with the new dog and your hunting season......Bob
    --
    02 Sep 2009 02:24 PM
    Is he the one you hunted yesterday?
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    03 Sep 2009 06:04 AM
    yea hillbilly, he "went along" for the walk He showed interest in retrieving the birds. He just hasn't "put it all together" just yet. The shot and the bird thing.
    Of course, when the shooter misses 50% of the shots, it doesn't make it any easier for him.. :p
    This probably isn't the right place to ask, but I've heard, and was wondering if anyone has had negative effects from young dogs fetching doves?.. It didn't seem to bother him, but....
    I've heard the pinfeathers can get in their mouth/gums and turn 'em OFF to retrieving. Any truth to it?
    --
    03 Sep 2009 09:15 PM
    The only problems I had was when Phez hunting and they wanted to chase doves.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    04 Sep 2009 10:27 AM

Thanks... I haven't saw any negative effects either, but I'm not a seasoned veteran w/ bird dogs.
     Though he failed to get in the picture, he performed well for his second day out. He started "seeing"/marking birds, and got in a fair share of retrieving. I'm impressed ..
    He might have found a home

Four of those are decoys now..:p

--
    04 Sep 2009 11:10 AM
    I took my male lab pup out yesterday he did really good for 7 months old.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    turboUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:13 turbo
    --
    05 Sep 2009 09:43 PM

Bob

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.I live in Ontario hunt just about anything I canbut my passion is upland birds.We did hunt grouse up here when there was some now few and far between.A buddy and I have started to hunt in Iowa for the past 10 years.Both of us use English Springer Spaniels and 20 ga.When we meet felow hunters out there they look at us as if we have 3 heads for running flushers,we have not seen any others out there,only pointers.What is you take on it?

Will keep in touch more often,will be looking on this site for info on this years hunt-We plan on coming out next year

Turbo

Huntig birds without a good dog is not worth going out
    --
    05 Sep 2009 10:12 PM
    Turbo, Thank you for the reply, If there are any question the group can help please just ask. We are very happy to help. True I run Brittany's, but I feel you should run what you enjoy . Springers are great dogs, I have no complaints at all about them. If everybody was the same in this world it would be a dull place.....Bob
    --
    09 Sep 2009 02:20 PM
    Grouchy, nice day's work.
    chrisUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:94 chris
    --
    19 Sep 2009 12:10 PM
    chrisUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:94 chris
    --
    19 Sep 2009 12:21 PM
    He is two year old english pointer,with a cannan for a nose.Runs fast& hard & he is my best hunting buddy.
    --
    19 Sep 2009 12:34 PM
    Nice looking EP. Looks like you guys got some birds.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    19 Sep 2009 12:53 PM
    He's from shady meadows gundogs out of missouri.We allways do well, nothing better then a good nose.
    --
    19 Sep 2009 01:11 PM
    I own 5 or 6 dogs from Shady Meadows. I plan to hunt with Shawn this fall. Do alot of business with him has the best blood lines to choose from and is a honest guy. To bad he moved but now I'll get to hunt with him this fall.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    19 Sep 2009 01:24 PM

you do have some good looking dogs,shawn is a great guy.Answered any question i had.Everbody who sees rock can't belive how good he is.It must be great to have that
    many good dogs.

--
    19 Sep 2009 06:18 PM
    Over 20 total and all of them are awesome won't own any thing else.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    19 Sep 2009 07:36 PM
    Hillbilly,do you guide hunts or just do kennel thing & hunt for fun.
    --
    19 Sep 2009 09:53 PM

Very nice picture of you and yourgroup. Looks like you all had a good days shoot. Congrats to you and your group.......Bob

--
    20 Sep 2009 05:03 AM
    Thanks bob, tonys a good looking dog.Your motto is right I second guessed him once.I was wrong.How old is tony ,.i think i read a post
    he on the old side.He does look good,I try to run as much as I can.
    --
    20 Sep 2009 01:43 PM
    I used to guide but now I just breed, train, and hunt the crape out of my dogs. Since September 1 I only haven't hunted 2 days. Man life is good. I quite guiding because I don't like kevlar and looking over my shoulder wondering when some rich dude is going to shoot me.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    20 Sep 2009 04:17 PM

heres a link to a video of my pup getting ready for her upcoming hunt test, its only junior but still i'm pretty excited.   the video quality always comes out poor on youtube for some reason, on my computer it is crystal clear.  anyway its still a pretty gud video.

and yes she got her check chord stuck on that bush

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVg3cpdQfwA

--
    20 Sep 2009 06:00 PM
    Good stuff Llew and a really nice looking dog.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    20 Sep 2009 06:19 PM
    Llew , Looking good ,good looking dog.
    Hillbilly,I do giude hunts here for a members only club.The guys are nice and I got know so not so bad,The birds are raise & released all year so they are semi wild.
    --
    20 Sep 2009 08:47 PM
    I hunt wild birds for 5 months out of the year and go to the preserve a couple times a year. We got something like 7 different species to hunt here and lots of deer and elk. I don't have to worry about hunting partners with 5 kids so I don't carry a gun most of the time so it is kinda like guiding. The place I used to guide for really didn't have rules for the people shooting and the kid I was guiding with took a round in the chest at 20 yards. It happened before I went to work there and they kinda just didn't talk about it. The first day there I looked down a guys barrels at 10 feet and after 2 months got peppered and shot over more then I can count. The worst thing was they didn't care about the dog work. Most preserves would never allow that kind of stuff to go on but this place was out to make money. I'd guide again but right now I got to many litters coming off and it would keep me away from mom and kids.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    21 Sep 2009 05:02 AM
    Sound like you made the right move.
    --
    21 Sep 2009 08:13 AM
    But the money was good.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    21 Sep 2009 01:44 PM
    Nice looking dog, looked a windy there that day. I hope it does well in the real test, wishing the best.....Bob
    --
    21 Sep 2009 01:47 PM
    Chris; Tony is 10 years old, but he still acts like a pup in a lot of ways. Just a few more weeks and he will be pointing and I will be shooting at some Quail I hope.......Bob
    --
    21 Sep 2009 05:55 PM
    thanks for the compliments guys

it was fairly windy that day but it looks alot windier than it seemed?? lol. the points were not very intense as it was hot out and very dry. still a fun day and the dog did great. she does get bored after a while if we are not shooting the birds. so we try to only do 2-3 birds a day. and the training sessions are once a month. we train on our own the rest of the time.

i've noticed a big improvement on her bird finding ability and the way she handles birds, including cripples and dead birds. it seems like she is using her nose more intelligently now.
    --
    21 Sep 2009 06:16 PM
    I know what you mean Llew, Tony has more faith in his nose than anything, I do believe. You can see him using it all the time, I like ti just watch him get the scent and then the point......Bob
    --
    21 Sep 2009 06:16 PM
    I know what you mean Llew, Tony has more faith in his nose than anything, I do believe. You can see him using it all the time, I like ti just watch him get the scent and then the point......Bob
    --
    21 Sep 2009 10:02 PM
    I want to see the video of her doing the hunt test that would be cool.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    22 Sep 2009 06:56 PM
    i will record it. if you would like
    ed i'll post it on here. i am very excited! i just hope she passes. shes only going for junior though so i believe she will do fine and i'm just worrying for nothing.

hopefully she doesnt break at the shot. she is steady to flush but occasionally breaks on shot we are working hard on correcting that though. the good thing is that if i flush a bird in the field she will stop until released without us having to whoa her.

--
    22 Sep 2009 08:33 PM
    She'll do fine just remember to have fun.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    23 Sep 2009 02:23 PM
    remember one thing if you can stay relaxed and act like just another day in the field. Dogs can sense when you are up tight, so relax have fun, most of all stay loose.......Bob
    BrianUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:15 Brian
    --
    23 Sep 2009 06:53 PM

Gus one year old male German SHorthaired Pointer hes pointing on a pigon

--
    23 Sep 2009 09:19 PM
    Brian, I don't see a photo of the Gus pointing. Did something goof-up in your posting.........Bob
    --
    23 Sep 2009 10:32 PM
    don't worry it happens to me all the time.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    Pheasant&WaterfowlUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:14 Pheasant&Waterfowl
    --
    09 Oct 2009 12:07 AM

Rex Spotted,  Star Solid liver, dont know if you can see the white patch on her chest. It was easy to figure out her name. Almost perfect five point star lol

--
    09 Oct 2009 10:03 PM
    Nice looking dogs, with your name I assumed there would be a Lab or such type in there someplace......Bob
    Pheasant&WaterfowlUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:14 Pheasant&Waterfowl
    --
    09 Oct 2009 11:52 PM

Yea, my father in-law had a litter of GSP's me and my wife were going to take one, but ended up with two. I am working on a Lab for waterfowl, but no go with the wife. I want to see if I can work them with water retrives in the summer, dont feel like getting in the water now just incase. Try and use them for the begining of the duck season until it gets like -30.  

--
    10 Oct 2009 09:17 PM
    Thank you for the info. I can see where the wife would not want 3 dogs. Mine is totally against me getting 2......Bob
    --
    14 Oct 2009 07:46 PM
    Can't beat a lab on ducks in cold water. But sence I sell a lot of dogs here are some good excuses to get a lab. First pointing dogs and I mean the shorthaired kind can get arthritic from the cold water and a good one the wives like is labs are really good in the house and always throw out that fact that you found a breeder that has small ones. Nice looking dogs Good hunting
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BuckShotUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:14 BuckShot
    --
    16 Oct 2009 01:07 PM
    My GSP is only 9 but I see the day coming. Both my boys are of hunting age. They eat and sleep hunting and trapping. They each want a GSP. My wife is questioning 3 dogs in the house. I'm just wondering how mine would take it. He pushes my wife out of the way to sit next to me. I all but trip over him.... he's buy my side 24-7. I love mr. pathetic as my wife calls him. But I guess we will find out. I can't deprive them of wanting to better their hunting life style. Besides.... I'll more than likely end up with them once they head to college. Does that make them my dogs?
    --
    16 Oct 2009 05:27 PM
    They may not be your dogs but you will be the caring for them. Your dog is like mine. I cannot give my wife a hug without him pushing her away from me.
    --
    18 Oct 2009 10:43 PM
    Try having as many as I do that only want me it gets a little crazy. But my oldest boy has 2 that I swear hate me I can feed them and pat them on the head but they belong to him. The funny one is the little yellow lab pup my youngest son took from a litter it follows him around every evening and they play. It was fun to watch him yesterday playing fetch with her with a dead pigeon he's only 4. I feel pretty Blessed.
    Life's Short Play Hard

---