GBH Forum Members Phez Hunt for '09-10 Season
Last Post 24 Nov 2009 11:02 AM by Porknbeans. 33 Replies.
Author Messages
Tarheel BlueUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:105 Tarheel Blue
--
10 Aug 2009 02:02 PM

I don't know, maybe this oppressive heat and humidity is starting to get to  me, but I was thinking about dragging the F-I-L up to the tundra this coming season and introing him to you boys over a phez hunt. Any talk of putting one together this coming season? Trying to make some plans ahead of time, so I can forecast the work schedule.

Talk it up and let's pick a date. Be careful with the time of year now, us flatlanders and that dang white stuff ya'll call snow may not mix too well!!

TB

"I am a Soldier, I fight where I am told and I win where I fight." - General George S. Patton
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    11 Aug 2009 06:14 AM
    This would be awesome to have you back TB. Some suggested times might be: first part of December, middle of January or the first part of February. Feedback is appreciated.
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    Tarheel BlueUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:105 Tarheel Blue
    --
    11 Aug 2009 09:33 AM

Either way, your temps will probably be less than 50 degrees right?!! I'm open to your suggestions. February works pretty good for me. That way we have the holidays behind us and air travel may not be quite as expensive also.

TB

"I am a Soldier, I fight where I am told and I win where I fight." - General George S. Patton
    dogpowerUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:60 dogpower
    --
    12 Aug 2009 06:25 AM

<!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 unctuationKerning/> false false false ontGrowAutofit/> MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.4in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> <!--[if gte mso 10]>

I’d be open to hosting such a get together at Hillside Springs hunt club.  TB, you’d be welcome to stay in one of the room in the clubhouse for the entire duration of your trip if you’d like.  The accommodations aren’t as nice as a Hilton, but the pillows are soft and the bedding doesn’t have many bed bugs.  The downside is you may have to share the bathroom with Browndog if he decides to join us.

Any of the times PnB mentioned would work.  I’d probably lean toward the second week of December if we want to reduce the risk of dealing with bad weather, although we’ve had 50 degree temps in both January and February.  One never knows what the weather will be here in Wisconsin.  The picture you see on the top banner of our web site was taken in the middle of a snowstorm that began December 18th, 2007 and ended February 22nd, 2008.

Let’s try to pin down a date soon and I’ll talk to Gameburdhunts to see what kind of deal we can put together for bird prices.

--
    12 Aug 2009 08:46 AM

DP thanks for the offer and hospitality. Sounds like a plan. Let's firm it up and lock in a date. To drive or fly, that will be the question that I'm faced with, but let me worry about that small detail. However, snowchains for the tires may call for some requested advice....... Dang, I'm getting fired up already!

TB

PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    12 Aug 2009 06:11 PM

Sorry I"ve been out of touch trying to get this moving.  I'm actually writing this from the hospital.  My son was admitted yesterday for a staph infection in his leg.  Long story, but suffice it to say that as of right now it looks like everything will be ok.  I'm actually taking a break while he takes a nap right now.  I'll try to get back in gear with everyone when I have a better routine.

LuciaLabUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:30 LuciaLab
    --
    12 Aug 2009 06:17 PM
    Pork,
    I am sorry to hear about our son and hope he has a quick recovery. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.
    Scott
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    12 Aug 2009 08:37 PM
    Ya Pork hope he's alright.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    12 Aug 2009 10:25 PM
    Pork my prayers and hopes go with you and your family. Keep us posted please........Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    dogpowerUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:60 dogpower
    --
    13 Aug 2009 06:35 AM

Good luck with your son, PnB.  I had that once and didn't realize how serious it was until the doctor told me I could have easily lost my leg or it could even have killed me if I hadn't come to see him that day.

--
    13 Aug 2009 08:07 AM

Pork, please relay our best to your son and let him & your family know that people you guys don't even know are praying for all of you and wishing him a speedy and thorough recovery.

TB

Graybird66User is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:21 Graybird66
    --
    13 Aug 2009 01:41 PM
    PB . . . Holding on to good thoughts for a speedy recovery for your boy!!
    --
    18 Aug 2009 06:29 AM
    Thank you to all for the hopes and prayers on my son. We were in the hospital for 2 days and he was given IV antibiotics every 8 hours. The infected area was getting smaller and the swelling was way down by the time we left. However, when we got released we headed down to Chicago for a long weekend that we had planned for several months. On Sunday morning I noticed that his ankle was slightly swollen again and that by the time we got home his infected area was raised and starting to grow. Back to the emergency room we go thinking that they will probably admit him and put him back on the IV. Nope, they changed his meds and sent him home. If things aren't looking better by this afternoon I'm taking him to his doctor to see where we go from there.

Thanks again to all who have sent emails, called and left messages here on the forum. It is very humbling to me to have friends (some of whom I've never met face to face) wishing the best for my son. I'll keep you posted as I know more.
    llewellinUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:102 llewellin
    --
    18 Aug 2009 05:50 PM
    i heard those infections can get into the blood and spread throughought the entire body which can end up being really serious.
    --
    31 Aug 2009 07:56 AM

ttt

--
    02 Sep 2009 11:20 AM
    Now that we know PnB's son is doing OK, let's get back to talking about the Forum Member's Phez Hunt.

Tarheel, why don't you pick the date? More than likely, you'll be traveling the farthest. The rest of us can work around your schedule.

What I talked to Jon about would be to release 4 birds per hunter at a cost of $50/hunter plus a dose of your favorite vittles to share with the group. If the economy makes a sudden turn around, maybe Jon and I can release a few extra birds. Walk along family members are also welcome.
    --
    03 Sep 2009 09:40 AM

Sounds good. Somewhere in this thread, we discussed doing this in mid December. The weekend of the 12-13th works for me. Once we get a consensus on this date, I'll go ahead and book my airline tickets for me & the F-I-L.

DP, I appreciate the offer of the bunkhouse too.  Let's get it going. I've got to order some dang electric socks from BassPro. My dang tootsies just cold thinking about that dang frozen tundra in mid December!

TB

--
    03 Sep 2009 02:46 PM
    Saturday the 12th looks good for me. Lets see if we can get a quick consensus on that date.

Tarheel, you might want to see if you can round up an electric blanket too. We don't normally fire up the heat in the bunkhouse until it starts to get cold...usually in mid to late January.
    LuciaLabUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:30 LuciaLab
    --
    03 Sep 2009 04:53 PM

Sounds good to me at this point, but I will have to check with the boss

--
    04 Sep 2009 09:40 AM

DP, that's why good ole #4 traded in his Cheesehead uniform and defected to Minn-e-sota! They got dang 70 degree temps inside their playhouse. You brandy sippin' cheeseheads have got dang anti-freeze flowing in your veins up thar. Ole Brett probably is good for 5 more seasons now that he's got the circulation flowing again in his feet!

You thank the airline will let me drag my dang propane heater on the aircraft?

TB

BrowndogUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:35 Browndog
    --
    04 Sep 2009 02:23 PM

Count me in for 2 hnuters w/ 2 dogs. My Dad really enjoyed making an overnighter out of it last time so we'll probably do that again if you have enough room there, Andy. Please offer your clubhouse spots to those coming from out-of -state first as it's no trouble for us to get a motel in town. Can we expect a batch of chukar chili on the stove? I'll have to work on a new pheasant recipe.

TB - If you have a beverage request, please let us know so we can make that accommodation for you as well. You'll have a better chance of getting your LP heater on the plane than a jar of that barn-brewed sour mash you guys try to pass around.

--
    10 Sep 2009 07:19 AM
    TB, as long as you have less than 4fl oz the propane thing is fine.

Count me and my son in.

--
    10 Sep 2009 07:20 AM
    DP, are you going to make some of that Chukar chili again....please?.....pretty, please?....pretty please with spinkles on top?
    --
    03 Nov 2009 07:52 PM

What is the status on the hunt?  Are we still on for the weekend of the December 12th?  If so I am in for sure.  I hope everyone is doing well and staying warm.

--
    04 Nov 2009 07:18 AM
    Great question. Since we set that date, I've had multiple things come up for that weekend. Suffice it to say that if that is the weekend we decide on, I'll be swinging in to say hi, but I won't be hanging around to hunt.

--
    07 Nov 2009 02:00 PM

I have the preserve reserved for the afternoon and evening of Dec 12th.  I believe Tarheel was making travel plans in this direction for that weekend too.  I guess it's time to confirm a final head count.

Since Porknbeans is only planning to bless us with a drive-by, we'll have to be sure to hide the chukar chili until after he leaves.

--
    09 Nov 2009 08:13 AM
    Ouch!

BrowndogUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:35 Browndog
    --
    10 Nov 2009 07:02 PM

If Andy has enough floor space available, I might try to round up a couple more people. Put me down for 4 hunters and 2 dogs, along with 2 yet-to-be-determined pheasant dishes and some cold beverages. My Dad just asked me about this hunt last week so it's great that it seems to be falling together.

Anybody with questions or concerns, just ask away or send Dogpower an e-mail and he'll be able to fill you in on his layout and how past hunts have gone. You do not need your own dog to join in on the fun.

--
    23 Nov 2009 07:02 AM
    Hey Tarheel...are you and the F-I-L still planning to make the pilgrimage to the not-yet-frozen tundra for this hunt on Dec 12th?
    --
    23 Nov 2009 10:42 AM

DP, due to my mother's recent diagnosis with colon cancer, I have decided it is best to stay put this year. We just received the confirmation last week. This dreaded disease may have been detected early enough to have a better chance at treatment and recovery. Fortunately, the cancer has not spread to her liver. Now if that is not bad enough, my mother-in-law has been diagnosed with a tumor in her colon and is scheduled for surgery on 12/9/09. Unknown at this time if it is cancerous yet.

My apologies to each of you for broaching the subject of a phez hunt this year and then backing out, but hopefully under these circumstances you can forgive me.

This may be an odd place to discuss this, but if you are over 40-50 years of age, or have a family history of colon cancer, I encourage each of you to have a check-up with your doc and schedule a colonoscopy at the earliest opportunity. I had my first one earlier this year and it was nothing like the "horror stories" I had heard prior to undergoing the procedure. I lost my Dad to colon cancer 10 years ago, and now to learn that my Mom has it, my sister & I have to be even more vigilant about early detection. Colon cancer is one of the most treatable cancers known, IF we have regular check-ups and pay attention to any abnormal routines associated with that part of our bodies.

OK, that's my Public Service Announcement for the day.... now ya'll bang up on the phez up there on the tundra and I will do my best to make the hunt in 2010.

TB

--
    23 Nov 2009 03:40 PM
    Tarheel, sorry to hear about the health issues with your loved ones. I wish them well with their recoveries. Thoughts and prayers are with them. Also, thanks for the public service announcement. It's one of those things that can't be said enough.

To the others participating in this hunt - do we want to consider postponing the hunt until after the holidays and pick a date that our good friend Porknbeans can attend? I think the hunt will be a whole lot better if we have the opportunity to make polite comments about all the birds that he misses. Also, I'd hate to have him miss out on the chukar chili.
    --
    23 Nov 2009 04:26 PM

I agree that it could be pushed back, provided that PnB steps up once again to bring the drinks. It's the least he can do since DP is kind enough to still allow him on the property after past shooting performances. Pork's Brit would rather she just get dropped off by the driveway and then pick back up at the end of the day to save some face for her master.

Andy - if only a few of us were confirmed as coming, I say go ahead and put it on hold. Whatever you decide will be fine. The rest of us will work it into our schedules as best we can later.

--
    23 Nov 2009 06:58 PM

I agee with Browndog about reschuduling the hunt for another day.  Dogpower just let us now what will work for you. 

Keep us posted.

Scott

--
    24 Nov 2009 11:02 AM
    I'm up for a reschedule. I'm still not sure about availability, but I'll do my best.

TB, I'm sorry to hear about your mom. My hopes and prayers go out to you and your family.

---