Do you shoot with one eye open or two? Why?
Last Post 30 Nov 2009 06:49 AM by Porknbeans. 16 Replies.
Author Messages
Tarheel BlueUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:105 Tarheel Blue
--
02 Sep 2009 11:38 AM

How many of us shoot with one vs. two eyes open? I've gotten used to shooting w/two eyes open while shooting sporting clays and it has stuck with me while bird hunting. What do you guys (& Gals) do and do you do it instinctively or not?

TB

"I am a Soldier, I fight where I am told and I win where I fight." - General George S. Patton
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    02 Sep 2009 11:57 AM
    I shoot with one eye closed. Tried to do it different but didn't work for me.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    02 Sep 2009 12:10 PM
    I was trained in the Navy 55 years ago, to shoot with one eye open. I think I still do I start that way but how I finish is any body's guess........Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    dogpowerUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:60 dogpower
    --
    02 Sep 2009 12:26 PM
    I shoot with both eyes open, but anyone that has seen me shoot probably thinks I shoot with both eyes closed. Don't ask me why about either of the above observations.
    chrisUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:94 chris
    --
    02 Sep 2009 02:16 PM
    I shoot one eye close. right hand left eye dominant.Can only shoot pistol with both eyes not good for bird hunting.
    markvanUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:27 markvan
    --
    02 Sep 2009 07:55 PM

same problem left eyed and right handed, have been shotting left handed last several years but less time for practice and getting older and more awkward all the time, have just ordered a burris fastfire 2 to shot right handed and will correct eye problem and shot both eyes open
    WestforkUser is Offline Send Private Message Posts:50 Westfork
    --
    03 Sep 2009 07:19 AM

Ditto for me left eye right handed. But I do shoot with both eyes open even when looking through a scope. Started doing son after I read an article in Outdoor Life as a kid 45 years ago.  I shoot in the 70's on both trap and sporting clays, 90's on skeet. 

turboUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:13 turbo
    --
    05 Sep 2009 10:20 PM

I am left handed-shoot right handed and right eye dominate.I shoot with both eyes open,started that when I was trap shooting.If you ask the guys I hunt with they would say I need a third eye.I'm having fun hittin or missin,just love the smell of burnt powder

Huntig birds without a good dog is not worth going out
    llewellinUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:102 llewellin
    --
    07 Sep 2009 07:41 PM

i am right handed right eye dominant and i used to shoot with one eye closed but i practiced shooting this past season with both eyes open and now i shoot with both open.

PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    09 Sep 2009 01:39 PM
    I shoot with them both open, but I could be a spider and have 8 eyes and it wouldn't help. I suck.
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    BrowndogUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:35 Browndog
    --
    09 Sep 2009 05:05 PM

HeadHunterUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:2 HeadHunter
    --
    09 Sep 2009 08:55 PM
    Two Eyes open, definetly. A wide field of view helps you hit more targets and birds. Remember " you point a shotgun, you aim a rifle."
    engsetterUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:1 engsetter
    --
    31 Oct 2009 11:43 PM
    Booth Eyes open, Is the only way to go beeter field of view and moor hits, Engsetter.
    pullitUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:18 pullit
    --
    17 Nov 2009 02:36 PM
    both eyes open.
    I shot for a long time with one eye closed and learned to shoot with both eyes open. I think it really helps me.
    TroyUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:13 Troy
    --
    17 Nov 2009 08:02 PM
    I shoot with one eye closed, tried shooting with both eyes opened but didn't think I had enough time to practice before the season opened so I went back to one eyed closed. It would of took a lot of practice to get any good at both eyes open.
    Shotgun KennelUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:9 Shotgun Kennel
    --
    25 Nov 2009 07:40 PM

My partners think I shoot with two eyes shut.

Hey, sound shooting is more sporting.

PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    30 Nov 2009 06:49 AM
    Shotgun, you're just a conservationist!
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators

---