Double barrels and shot sizes
Last Post 19 Nov 2009 05:31 PM by Hillbilly. 9 Replies.
Author Messages
BigRoosterUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:24 BigRooster
--
10 Nov 2009 09:49 AM

Just wondering if anyone uses different shot sizes in their double barrels.  I use improved and modified chokes for pheasant and was wondering if two different shots might be more helpful than the 6 shot I usually use. Thanks for any input.

BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    10 Nov 2009 01:03 PM
    Big Rooster, Yes I do. In my Double Barrel guns I shoot Light Modified and Modified in my guns. I use a Winchester Super Pheasant 6 shot in the 1st barrel and a WSP 5 shot in the second. My reasoning is the 5 shot are little heavier. They retain a little more of their Foot Pounds of Energy at a distance. That gives the shot a better chance of penetrating deep enough to kill the bird. Once the bird is down, my Brittany does an excellent job of finding them and delivering them to hand. I usually miss once they are out past 30-35 yards. So 2 shots do me just fine........Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    BigRoosterUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:24 BigRooster
    --
    11 Nov 2009 09:47 AM

Thanks Bob.  Have only had the o/u for a little while and was seeking some advice.. appreciate it.

BrowndogUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:35 Browndog
    --
    11 Nov 2009 04:27 PM

I prefer to not bother with having to keep 2 seperate shell supplies and just go with what gives me the best result on the pattern board. I normally have SK /IC or IC/MOD, usually the tighter combo later in the season. I'm fairly confident that the half second it takes for me to pull the trigger a second time is not going to warrant my bothering with a completely different load/choke recipe. Over the years I've come to realize that the most critical part of the equation is having complete confidence in your equipment and your ability to put those pellets in the right place, at the right time. Good luck with your new O/U and have fun.

--
    12 Nov 2009 06:59 AM

Thank you BD.  I've been shooting the gun since the end of last season, but this will be the first year I'll have it on birds.  Its nice to have some different opinions.

BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    12 Nov 2009 05:22 PM
    I just thought question Browndog. Why do all hunting vests have TWO shell pockets?............Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    shaneUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:15 shane
    --
    16 Nov 2009 09:25 AM

Using 2 different shot sizes is to confusing in the heat of reloading when roosters are flushing, for me anyway.  I shoot 5 or 6 shot and call it good.  Sounds like you are overthinking the double barrel thing.

--
    19 Nov 2009 07:43 AM

I don't think I was overthinking anything, just curious of the options and others' experiences.

--
    19 Nov 2009 03:03 PM

I agree BigRooster, Why not know all the advantages of a double barrel gun. You can have all sorts of different combo's, chokes and shells. Why not use them and make your hunt easier and more productive......Bob

HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    19 Nov 2009 05:31 PM
    I tried using 2 different kinds of shot in my double and it was a pain for me. But I do know how it is suppose to work and the idea is great but for me hunting 2 to 3 different species at one time I'll just split the difference.
    Life's Short Play Hard

---