Welcome to Wisconsin's Hunting Forum
Last Post 09 Aug 2013 08:26 AM by Porknbeans. 54 Replies.
Author Messages
HuntingNutUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:73 HuntingNut
--
01 Jul 2009 02:03 PM

If you are a hunter from Wisconsin or someone who frequently hunts there, this is the place for you. You can share information about hunting throughout the state or talk about anything you'd like. Introduce yourself and get to know more about hunting in the great state of Wisconsin. So, welcome and enjoy!

Hunting is Life- Enough Said
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    07 Jul 2009 05:19 AM
    Count me in!
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    BertUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:51 Bert
    --
    16 Jul 2009 10:10 AM
    I live in Racine County. I hunt all of the public lands from the IL boarder to Phillips. I've hunted Iowa, SD, ND and SW Missouri.
    I have done a few corporate hunts at Dark Acres, Millford Hills and Mecan River Lodge.

I would enjoy getting together with fellow posters for a hunt. We hunt Grouse, Quail, Woodcocks, and Pheasants.
    NRA Life Member, NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor, NRA Cert. RSO, Class III RSO/KCR
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    17 Jul 2009 05:44 AM

Bert, where's Dark Acres?  I've heard of the others, but not this one.

BertUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:51 Bert
    --
    17 Jul 2009 06:52 AM
    I found this place by accident while driving back from a Milford hunt. It's just 10 minutes north of Whitewater on HWY N
    W5140 Gillis Road Fort Atkinson, WI 53538 Kathy and Dan are great people. No membership needed and lively birds on 600 + acres.
    NRA Life Member, NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor, NRA Cert. RSO, Class III RSO/KCR
    --
    20 Jul 2009 05:25 AM

Thanks for the info.

jballardUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:40 jballard
    --
    21 Jul 2009 09:32 PM
    Hey Bert Welcome to the site. In the past few years many of the Wisconsin and Illinois members have gotten together for a hunt. I would love to plan something for this year as well. Once the season gets closer I'll throw out a few dates to everyone. Stay tuned.
    --
    23 Jul 2009 02:59 PM
    I'm looking forward to the hunt. I looked at the pictures from previous years and it looks like fun.
    jballardUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:40 jballard
    --
    23 Jul 2009 04:04 PM

Hey Burt, It's nice to see you on the forum.  I'll be sure and let you know when we get a date togeather.

--
    24 Jul 2009 05:22 AM
    Bert, you're way off base mister. We don't have fun, we have a lot of fun.

The hunting is great, the people are top notch and the food is worth the trip by itself.

I hope we can pull it off this year. It takes a great deal of work on Jon's part to make it happen. We are also fortunate enough to have some members on the site that give tremendously to the cause with little to no thanks.
    --
    27 Jul 2009 06:29 AM
    Porknbeans, I'm glad to hear that this isn't a fair weathered laid back group. I'm ready for allot of FUN.
    If there is some way that I can be of any help just let me know.
    BrowndogUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:35 Browndog
    --
    09 Aug 2009 05:06 PM

I agree that we're due for another outting. Also gives PnB a chance to clean out his freezer. Just put enough BBQ sauce on it and somebody will eat it. On a similar note, there are a couple sportingclay places down that way I wouldn't mind checking out also.

--
    10 Aug 2009 06:25 AM
    That is a great idea BD! I'd be up for a get together at Gehrigs if anyone is interested. How about a casual get together on September 6th at 10am?
    BrowndogUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:35 Browndog
    --
    10 Aug 2009 02:05 PM

I can make that date and will pencil it in. Have you ever been there or know their scheduled hours of operation? Would be nice to put a group together.

--
    11 Aug 2009 06:07 AM
    They have open shooting on Sunday mornings. It is a nice place and set-up. Gamebird is the one that let me know about it. I've been there probably 10 times. I'll bring my son along and maybe a friend for him. I think a group outing would be wonderful.

If anyone is interested, sound off and I can get something arranged and sent out to everyone.
    --
    13 Aug 2009 09:45 AM

This is just clay bird shooting, correct?

Or are we going to do field training with the dogs also?

dogpowerUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:60 dogpower
    --
    16 Aug 2009 07:12 AM
    I can get some chukar and we can get together for some dog work over birds at my place for a couple hours then head 10 minutes down the road to Gehrig's when they open at 10:00 am.
    --
    17 Aug 2009 11:05 AM
    Posted By dogpower on 16 Aug 2009 08:12 AM
    I can get some chukar and we can get together for some dog work over birds at my place for a couple hours then head 10 minutes down the road to Gehrig's when they open at 10:00 am.
    This sounds like a great idea. I don't know how to get to Gehrig's. What is the full name and or address?
    Bert

dogpowerUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:60 dogpower
    --
    17 Aug 2009 04:22 PM
    I just checked my calender. Sept 6th is on Labor Day weekend. That's OK by me, I wasn't going anywhere anyway, but how about the rest of you?
    --
    17 Aug 2009 07:13 PM

I'll have my Dad along, and possibly another guy or 2, so we'll pass on the live birds. We will be looking for a place to stop for breakfast down there someplace if anyone wants to join us. Last time we had a nice meal at a place on the north side of Edgertton but can't remember the name of it. Andy, maybe you know the place I'm talking about or can suggest one. The place we're shooting at has link at http://www.wi-sportingclays.org/Clu....htm  I've never been there but doubt PnB would lead us astray.

WestforkUser is Offline Send Private Message Posts:50 Westfork
    --
    17 Aug 2009 07:35 PM
    How is the weather where you guys are at? Is it very dry?
    --
    18 Aug 2009 05:45 AM

Sept 6th is good for me and the hound. This is a 75 mile ride for me, so can anyone point out a good breakfast restaurant close to the destination?

Westfork, It rained here on and off for the last two weeks and more is forecast for this week.

lov my shorthairUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:3 lov my shorthair
    --
    19 Aug 2009 07:34 AM
    Hey guys, Just stopped in to say Hi
    --
    19 Aug 2009 01:20 PM

Welcome LMS, your going to enjoy it here

Bert

--
    19 Aug 2009 02:47 PM

lms, great to have you on board. Can you tell us a little bit more about yourself?

We're all nosy Midwesterners after all don'cha know!  

--
    19 Aug 2009 06:54 PM

Bert - I'll be coming from the north and will probably stop at a diner (Ray's ?) on the north side of Edgerton that has served us well in the past. If you're headed to Andy's to chase birds first it wouldn't be too far off your route. Actually, I'm not even sure the place is still open - been awhile since I've been that way. Maybe DP knows of this or another place to eat.

--
    20 Aug 2009 06:25 AM

I'll wait to hear a reply from Andy. I haven't seen anyone else chime in about wanting to do live bird training so Andy may not want to bother with it, for just two of us.

Bert

--
    28 Aug 2009 11:24 AM
    I'm still OK with doing some live bird work that morning before going to Gehrig's at 10 am. Unless it gets unusually hot that day, it should be cool enough in the morning that we can do quite a bit of training without anyone's dog getting too hot. Normally when we have a group together for this type of training, we'll put out a pair of birds and work a dog on them, than another pair for the next dog, and so on until everyone has had enough.

I might see if a couple friends of mine that shoot regularly at Gehrig's want to join us.

Ray's is a good restaurant to stop at in Edgerton, but it will be packed if you don't get there early in the morning. If you are coming from the north, you'd go right by it if you're coming to my place or Gehrig's. We are close enough that you can hear the sporting clay shooting from our place.

Let me know if anyone needs directions.
    --
    30 Aug 2009 08:18 AM
    I ran into Ray Gehrig at a wedding reception yesterday and warned him to hide the pretty women and top rail liqueur next week because a wild group of internet shooting friends will be invading his place on the 6th. He said bring 'em on; the more the merrier.
    --
    30 Aug 2009 08:40 AM
    I'm looking forward to it.
    --
    31 Aug 2009 08:44 AM

DP, I will need directions from the other club.

I'm looking forward to this.

Bert

--
    02 Sep 2009 11:45 AM
    I'll have some French Redleg Partridge on hand to do some training with that morning. They are a little wilder and fly stronger than chukar. I'm getting them for $7.50/ea, so it won't be too pricey. How many of you will be coming here for dog work before going to Gehrig's?

I'll also post something on the Illinois pages and invite anyone from northern Ill to join us if they want. The only downside to that is they might be Bears fans, or possibly Cubs fans (if there are any left).
    --
    08 Sep 2009 09:49 AM
    I had a great time a talking with DP at breakfast. The French Redleg Partridge worked out well and are very strong fliers. Gehrig's was fun also.
    It only took me 1 hour and 35 minutes to get back home unlike the trip there in the fog,@ 2 plus hours.
    --
    09 Sep 2009 06:53 AM
    Bert, I apologize I had to run right after shooting clays and didn't have much of a chance to talk with you. Thanks for making the trip over. I'm glad that things worked out well for you at Andy's place. Hopefully you can make the trip back over this fall when we have our group hunt.
    --
    16 Sep 2009 07:30 AM

PnB, It was nice to meet you. It was a good thing that you left early.......one of the club members at Gehrigs showed up and fried up a bunch of Bluegills for lunch. They were great   and it was all you could eat.

--
    07 Oct 2009 08:31 AM
    WOW!!!!!!!!!

Did everyone move out of the state? No posts for almost a whole month..........

Later,
    Bert
    --
    07 Oct 2009 04:34 PM

Hi Bert,

For the first time in many, many years I'm going to miss our pheasant opener here in WI.  I've decided to head up to Vilas Co. to try my luck on grouse. We see quite a few when I'm up there deer hunting so it should be fun.

LuciaLabUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:30 LuciaLab
    --
    10 Oct 2009 06:12 PM

Browndog,

I will gladly come and take your spot opening day at your honey hole  Have fun in Vilas county chasing the grouse.

Scott

--
    14 Oct 2009 01:10 PM
    Holy crap........there is people posting here again.
    Browndog, I never go on opening day.....I can't stand all the people yelling for their dog to come back. I wait for the Sunday or Monday after.
    LuciaLab, Where do you hunt on opening day?
    LuciaLabUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:30 LuciaLab
    --
    15 Oct 2009 04:50 PM
    I hunt on some private land near Dotyville. I pay $20 to the Dotyville Conservation club, which gives me the chance to hunt private lands around the area and pays for the costs of raising the birds from chicks. They release pheasants once a week for the first 3 weeks of the season, so it is always a adventure. Where do you hunt Bert?
    Scott
    --
    16 Oct 2009 08:31 AM
    Scott,
    I hunt mostly Southeast WI. Like Richard Bong Rec Area, Honey Creek, Tichagan, New Munster and Whitewater areas. I have a place up North just 20 minutes West of Green Lake that allows me to hunt in Marquette county, Waushara county and Green Lake county. I've hunted a Club in your area, Wild Wings. I've also hunted in the Eldorado Marsh and it seems like there is very little pressure from the locals. I think the state released 900+ birds there last year. I'll be there this Sunday.
    I hunt mostly on State lands were bird release numbers are high.
    Bert
    --
    16 Oct 2009 05:07 PM

Bert,

I might be there Sunday morning also, I have not decided if I am going to go there or to Dotyville.  I am also going to Eldorado Monday morning, I took a hald day off from work, so I do not have to be at work tell noon.  Keep in touch.

Scott

--
    19 Oct 2009 12:29 PM
    Scott,
    I spent exactly 40 miutes out of the truck with my dog on Sunday. The first bird was only 100 feet from the truck, I fired one warning shot and then got it with a second shot. The second bird was a runner until the dog chased it to a tree line, then it jumped. This bird I brought down with the warning shot. I've got to slow down and not squeeze the trigger until I have my head down on the stock.
    It was nice out there on Sunday and I only saw 5 other guys out there. I wanted to hunt more but had my limit.
    Bert
    --
    20 Oct 2009 04:17 PM

Bert,

Sounds liker an eventful day, did I read your post right you shot two pheasants on Sunday?  Just in case you did not know the limit was only one on Saturday and Sunday, then goes to two birds the rest of the season.  Where did you end up hunting on Sunday?  I hunted at Eldorado Marsh right off county road I at the first parking place from highway 23.  I did not have any excitment on Sunday but heard some cackel but no flushes.  I was there from 6:45 to 9:00 am and only saw deer hunters, not pheasant hunters.  Talk to you later,

Scott

--
    22 Oct 2009 06:52 AM
    Scott,

There was two of us hunting but the birds jumped up to my hard left and my buddy was on my right screaming SHOOT IT...SHOOT IT.
    I was at the Eldorado Marsh just before lunch on Sunday right off of HWY 23 to the parking area and on the left. I hunt a little later in the day so that I don't get the bow hunters upset. I'm headed out this weekend to hunt in Kenosha county.
    Did you hunt on Monday at the Marsh?

Bert
    --
    22 Oct 2009 07:55 AM
    I'll be up at Mazomanie on Sunday morning with my son and a friend. It looks like the weather might hold out for us.
    --
    22 Oct 2009 04:23 PM

I did not make it out Monday, I decided to spend some time with my five month old son, since I do not get to spend enough time with him normally.  I hope you have luck this weekend in Kenosha.  Pork, I hope you enjoy the company of your son and dog this Sunday and good luck also.

Scott

--
    26 Oct 2009 11:19 AM
    Well the hunt didn't go as planned on Saturday. I guess it was too wet out for the DNR to plant birds last week. We walked in the mud for three hours for nothing.
    Upon returning to my truck I noticed my dog pawing at his right eye, I thought it was weed seeds so I flushed his eyes and drove home. When we got home my dog was content to go in and take a snooze. A few hours later he walked up to me and it was apparent that the eye injury was far more severe than I had originally thought. I called the animal ER and they were swamped and wanted me to come in a couple of hours later. After spending several hours at the ER it was apparent that they couldn't properly treat my dog and I was referred to a animal eye doctor about an hour away.
    Needless to say that an hour drive with a now howling dog laying in your lap was not fun. The eye doctor and her assistant worked on Rocket for a couple of hours and found 5 or 6 pcs of wood stuck in his right eye. They patched him and we got home at 3:30 AM Sunday. We can't hunt him for a couple of weeks but the eye doc said he should be just fine.
    What a Fd up weekend.
    Bert
    --
    27 Oct 2009 06:41 AM
    Bert, I'm sorry to hear about your dog, but glad that everything will be fine.

I went out twice this weekend and didn't find out about the DNR thing until after I got back from the second trip. It was good exercise for both me and the dog and we got to hunt areas that I've never been to before. I was surprised to find ticks on my dog. I pulled 7 off of her and 3 off of me (both regular and deer ticks).

Game farm up North for me this weekend and then off to Iowa the weekend after.

--
    09 Nov 2009 07:28 AM
    I got the all clear from the eye clinic for my dog on Friday. He has a slight spot on his right eye that will go away with time.
    We got out hunting on Sunday and after walking for a couple of hours we bagged two birds. It was to hot for a light sweatshirt under the shell vest but the cool breeze was too much for a tee shirt. You gotta love 60s in Nov.

Life is good.

PNB, How was hunting in Iowa???????
    --
    09 Nov 2009 08:09 AM
    I got a call from my friend early last week saying not to come out. It has been really wet and the farmers didn't have any of their crops off of the fields yet. I talked to him again this morning and it sounds like most of the beans and about 10-15% of the corn is off. With the continued nice weather this week, we should have much better conditions to work with when I head out there this week. I'll fill you in on it when I get back. Thanks for asking.

--
    09 Nov 2009 08:10 AM
    Oops, great news on your dog and congrats on bagging a bird. I still haven't even had a chance to shoot one here in Wisconsin on public land.

--
    09 Dec 2010 06:34 AM
    Anybody having any luck this year?
    lorrileeUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:1 lorrilee
    --
    12 Sep 2012 06:55 PM
    I hear the Smith's farm in Oxford has a good thing going, beautiful birds,great people, I am going this year.
    --
    09 Aug 2013 08:26 AM
    How was Smith's Farm?

---