Don't get old
Last Post 20 Aug 2009 01:29 PM by Bob. 21 Replies.
Author Messages
PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
--
30 Jul 2009 08:58 PM

I've had my knees rebuilt 3 times for acl, mcl, meniscus, etc.  Over the last couple of years arthritis has been creaping in.  Running, jumping, etc. are things of the past for me.  I take pain relievers, glucosamine and condroitin every day to try and manage the pain and swelling.  But the wierdest thing I resorted to happened yesterday.  I got an injection in my knee of chicken combs.  These are the red "crowns" on some chickens.  Supposedly, this stuff is very similar to cartiledge and it can help to lubricate the joint.  Thereby minimizing pain and maximizing mobility.  I've got 2 more injections to take and it takes about 2 months for it to be fully effective.  The way I figure it, that would be right around the start of the Pheasant hunting season.  So, the way I see it, I'll take all you guys on with a walk in the woods to test out my knew joints.  Or you can wave to me in the barnyard as I peck at some corn. 

Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    30 Jul 2009 10:41 PM
    PB, Sorry to hear of your knee problems. I do hope they better. I take some of the same stuff just to keep this old body from freezing up. Yes as a gunsmith once told me after he had knee surgery. "Your golden years are great as long you a pile of gold to see through them.".......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    31 Jul 2009 06:23 AM
    My knees are more of an inconvenience than anything. I'm to the point where my mind is writing checks that my body can't cash. The docs told me that I will probably have to have them replaced within the next 5-10 years. I'm not looking for sympathy, I just thought what a wierd thing to use to lubricate a joint. A more interesting questions would be to figure out who came up with the idea.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    31 Jul 2009 07:47 AM
    Who how they ran it by the first guy.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BoUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:21 Bo
    --
    31 Jul 2009 11:14 AM
    Had 1 of mine replaced in Jan. up walking with a cane in 2 days and without in a week or so. Was out shooting bird at a perserve in the middle of March and back to work 1st of April. This thing makes me feel 10 years younger, now if i can get the rest of the body to feel that way I'd be doing good.
    Graybird66User is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:21 Graybird66
    --
    03 Aug 2009 01:04 PM

talk about weird things we use... I'm a diabetic and they have me now on a drug that is based from the spit of a helimonster (?spelling?), you know that ugly lizard that runs around down south. It was a VA doc that tried to get the govt to buy this drug and they said they were not interested in it. So, he sold it to a big drug company and made millions off of it.

2 FEATHERSUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:6 2 FEATHERS
    --
    03 Aug 2009 06:16 PM
    GETTING OLD ISN'T FOR SISSY'S. I HAD A KNEE REPLACED TWO YRS. AGO. THE NEW ONE DOESN'T WORK AS WELL AS YOUR OLD KNEE BUT THERE IS NO PAIN. I TOURNAMENT HUNT AND FOLLOW THE DOGS YEAR AROUND. BEATS THE OLD KNEE WITH ALL THE PAIN THAT I HAD. LOST SOME MOBILITY BUT NOT MUCH. CANT'T RUN BUT DIDN'T WANT TO ANYWAY.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    03 Aug 2009 06:29 PM
    I have a really good friend that had both knees down 1 month or something like that apart. He didn't listen to the doc and went back to work after a couple months he started getting sick. He had got a serious staff infection and the celuitis infection ate half the bone. Needless to say he almost didn't make it. Now 2 years later I asked him if he'd do it again and he said yes not to have the pain. After all that he still deer and elk hunts.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    Graybird66User is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:21 Graybird66
    --
    04 Aug 2009 02:23 PM
    Nothing in life that is worth remembering is easy. All that time in "pain and torture" to rehab those knees is soon forgotten when you hear and see the flush I'm sure.
    --
    04 Aug 2009 02:24 PM
    And look at the top... There are even ads to help fix your knees! LOL
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    04 Aug 2009 02:52 PM

Who says "Big Brother" is not monitoring our posts.........Bob

My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    --
    05 Aug 2009 06:18 AM

If it's advertised on a sidebar it has to be good, right?  

dogpowerUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:60 dogpower
    --
    06 Aug 2009 09:36 PM

So PnB - when you get out of that big 'ol easy chair, do your knees cluck instead of crack?

--
    07 Aug 2009 06:00 AM
    Nice^^

BuckeyeUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:31 Buckeye
    --
    19 Aug 2009 12:57 PM
    yeah, just imagine camping with PnB when he wakes up and see the sunrise..........
    --
    19 Aug 2009 03:51 PM

Funny you should mention that. This morning I had the strangest urge to pull the ladder out of the garage and climb onto the roof. Now I know why! 

You guys are the best.   With friends like you....

markvanUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:27 markvan
    --
    19 Aug 2009 07:22 PM
    old before my time
    right knee total replacement Dec17, 08
    left knee total repacement May14, 09
    sugar problems, 1500 miles in the car each week, motel rooms n o rehab, just so they work by Nov. for my S.D. pheasant hunt
    and they still make noise when I walk
    --
    20 Aug 2009 07:41 AM

markvan, did you try oiling your knees? It worked on my brakes when they squeeked. Now I've got a new wife..and a new car.  

That's a joke if anyone is wondering. 

markvanUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:27 markvan
    --
    20 Aug 2009 07:47 AM
    new wife -- new car I think I will try the oil thing if was a new truck I would be appliny oil as I type!!!!
    --
    20 Aug 2009 12:43 PM
    I guess that leaves me out, nobody wants an old decrepit old man like me. Except the one I have lived with for 53 years.....Bob
    --
    20 Aug 2009 01:14 PM
    53 years! Congratulations!!

I'm at 17 and loving it.

--
    20 Aug 2009 01:29 PM
    Now she likes me to hunting, shooting trap and stuff. Just to get me out of the house for while......Bob

---