Forest fires
Last Post 31 Jul 2009 08:41 AM by llewellin. 28 Replies.
Author Messages
HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
--
25 Jul 2009 07:42 PM

You guys got to see this forest fire like 2 miles from my house. I'm going to have to figure out how to put the pics on this message.

Life's Short Play Hard
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    25 Jul 2009 08:47 PM
    Man that is really close did every turn out OK for you? I know there are a lot of them around with all lightning we have been getting and the dryness of the terrain......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    25 Jul 2009 11:42 PM
    It's 10:30 and you can see the glow pretty awesome been around a lot of them so it don't bother me to much but the wife don't like it. We've had them burn right up to our chicken cope 100 yards from the house. That's spooky we got pics of them doing drops to the smoke jumpers and the retardet plans I'll have to figure out how to put them on.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    26 Jul 2009 12:03 PM
    We got some rain here this early morning. I hope some it reaches you. It wasn't much but every little bit helps.....Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    --
    26 Jul 2009 12:09 PM
    I don't think we're going to get it. Thunder heads are rolling in. It looks like there holding the fire know but it will probably pick up this evening. Pretty cool watching the smoke jumpers parachute down in there.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    llewellinUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:102 llewellin
    --
    26 Jul 2009 04:46 PM
    sounds cool yet very dangerous hope you dont have to evac.
    --
    26 Jul 2009 06:01 PM
    Fire is awesome when I was younger I logged and got to fall tree's on fires. Won't have to leave but there's alot of aircraft in the air right know. The pics I took are to big to put on a thread.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    27 Jul 2009 05:36 AM
    Hillbilly, I wish you and your family the best. I'd be freaking out.

Maybe try sending the pics to Jon B and see if he can't help you out with resizing or waving a magic wand.

Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    --
    27 Jul 2009 09:34 AM

Here you go

Life's Short Play Hard
    Foremost MediaUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:97 Foremost Media
    --
    27 Jul 2009 10:36 AM

--
    27 Jul 2009 12:38 PM
    Good Pictures Hillbilly, I have seen those planes too many times around my state also. The worst part is we are in for another bout of Hot, Dry weather. That means more fires around our states......Bob
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    28 Jul 2009 08:07 AM
    Great pics.
    Tarheel BlueUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:105 Tarheel Blue
    --
    28 Jul 2009 08:47 AM
    Dang Hillbilly, that looks pretty close. Is the fire any closer to you than the 2 miles you originally reported? Are the firefighters making progress? We had a similar situation last month down here in Myrtle Beach. Be safe. My best to you and your family and the pooches in the kennels.

TB
    "I am a Soldier, I fight where I am told and I win where I fight." - General George S. Patton
    llewellinUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:102 llewellin
    --
    28 Jul 2009 08:48 AM
    cool picks. hope the fire gets put out soon
    --
    28 Jul 2009 01:36 PM
    It looks like they're getting it out. TB it's close enough you can see them drop smoke jumpers and equipment in. It's in the wilderness so they can't fight it with cats. No we're not in danger it's across the highway. The high school down town looks like a little city full of fire fighters. The cool part is after a fire the deer move in and it makes for good hunting.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    28 Jul 2009 02:02 PM
    whats the wild bird population gunna look like after this??
    --
    28 Jul 2009 06:09 PM
    It won't hurt it it's only 1200 acres in the wilderness. It might push birds into my spots and make it better. Every year Oregon loose's thousands of acres to wild fire alot of it due to lack of logging and poor forest management. Big game need these open areas to provide feed so fires are a good thing most of the time. As far as game birds every yaer I hunt areas for chukars and quail that burned that summer. After fall rains comes a beautiful green up that provides well needed food. Since they don't log hardly any more the burns are more often. The burn I hunt for deer is huge we sat up on a ridge and watched it burn 7 years ago a month later we were archery hunting the riperian ares that didn't burn and 2 years later it was producing Boone and Crocket bucks. So fire really isn't that bad unless it's breathing down your neck and when I was young I fell trees on fires.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    28 Jul 2009 08:39 PM
    Llew, around here what hillbilly says is true, only we have Fantail and Blue Grouse. They also like to use those burned areas.....Bob
    --
    29 Jul 2009 02:14 PM

bob do you and tony grouse hunt??

--
    29 Jul 2009 05:20 PM
    Oh yes, I hunt anything that flies. I don't do very well on the Grouse. I just never seen to be able to find them.....Bob
    --
    29 Jul 2009 05:27 PM
    Blues or Ruffs
    Life's Short Play Hard
    grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    30 Jul 2009 06:04 AM

Waaay cool pic's!..  I hope you 'n yours are all safe!
     Fires are just plain scary in those poorly managed ares. IMO far far too much fuel has been allowed to accumulate over the last 100 years.
    I'll see if I can find/post some pictures of a big one, that destroyed a few thousand acres nearby, and came a little to close for comfort, back in '05..

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY GUN
    --
    30 Jul 2009 08:28 AM
    Way Cool
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    30 Jul 2009 11:51 AM
    WOW, Those are some very awesome pictures G.O.D.. I was in the woods this morning and the floor was thick with tree dead fall and other dried brush and weeds. I thought; if this ever caught fire. O'MY, how could they ever stop it......Bob
    --
    30 Jul 2009 06:26 PM
    bob if u want a cure for the whole "not being able to find much grouse thing" i suggest you talk to ed
    --
    30 Jul 2009 06:50 PM
    Wow, great pics.
    grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    31 Jul 2009 07:55 AM

so hows the fire hillbily?.. I see you're having record heat and dry up that way.
    It can't be "good" for it.

P'nB.. I'm a picture whore..(can  say that here?..:p)

I love my digi. I'm seldom without it, and that fire was up close and personal for about 10 days.

Here are some pics of the area just one month after the fire.

theres that darn kid again..

The entire area is now nearlly overgrown by scrub oak.

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY GUN
    --
    31 Jul 2009 08:38 AM
    Well I got a buddy that is a cop at the fire camp and he said yesterday they did a back burn to get it under control there's not as much smoke now. We went and watched the sky crane get water and do drops the other night. I guess there's a big fire on the Snake River.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    31 Jul 2009 08:41 AM
    last big fire we had was in the 1990 but it destoryed almost 3,000 acres

---