Gun Dog Magizine
Last Post 27 Jul 2009 12:51 PM by Bob. 21 Replies.
Author Messages
HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
--
16 Jul 2009 02:34 PM

Did any of you guy's read the artical of awns?

Life's Short Play Hard
    llewellinUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:102 llewellin
    --
    16 Jul 2009 06:36 PM
    is awns an acronym? a last name? i have read every article in the new gundog though. i get pdj, gundog, DU, wildfowl and i used to get upland almanac but its so freaking expensive for like 4 issues
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    17 Jul 2009 05:39 AM

Hillbilly, can you help me out on this one?  I got my last issue of GD and couldn't find anything.  I'm letting my scrip run out on this one.  The mag wasn't doing it for me, but I'll pick up an issue on the newstand from here on out if something grabs my attention.

Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    17 Jul 2009 08:20 AM

Grass Awns (seed) they can get lodged in your dog maybe even fatal. Had it happen to my old lab years ago.

Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    17 Jul 2009 08:21 AM

I'm letting mine run out to it was about the only thing in the magizine to read.

Life's Short Play Hard
    jballardUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:40 jballard
    --
    17 Jul 2009 10:41 AM
    That's new to me. The dog comes in contact with the seed and it could kill him? What parts of the country is it found in?
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    17 Jul 2009 11:58 AM

I believe it can happen pretty much anywhere.  I believe that Dogpower had to put a dog down because of this happening to one of his dogs.

--
    17 Jul 2009 12:02 PM
    The seeds of certain grasses can even find their way to the heart threw the blood stream. Cheat grass is really bad.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    jballardUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:40 jballard
    --
    17 Jul 2009 12:08 PM
    I don't understand how the seed gets into the dog. Do they eat them or is it through a cut or what?
    --
    17 Jul 2009 12:15 PM

Most of them go through the skin like between the toes and some are inhaled through the nose. I have a hunting partner that his dog had 4 cheat grass seeds working up his leg the vet said they started between the toes.

Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    17 Jul 2009 12:19 PM

DP's dog had it enter through the rectum.  Since the seed has a kind of barb on it, once it's in it can't/won't just work it's way back out.  I'd better let Dogpower tell the story 'cause I know I'm probably getting it wrong.  I'll see if I can't get his attention.

--
    17 Jul 2009 12:19 PM

OK here's were to check this all out www.meanseeds.com. The seeds aren't as bad as the infection.

Life's Short Play Hard
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    23 Jul 2009 12:15 PM
    Those seeds are real bad news. I clean Tony's eyes and ears after every run afield and when I take him to the Vet. He still finds some that in places I cannot see in the ears and behind the second eyelid, etc. They can be the cause of loss of hearing and blindness.....Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    --
    23 Jul 2009 01:16 PM
    Just like Bob said this stuffs bad news and it would really be a bad deal to loose you hunter partner and companion over it.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    24 Jul 2009 08:03 AM
    I recently heard a discussion on the radio about the recent wet weather and a high incident of dogs ingesting toxic mushrooms too.
    I know of one dog at least, that went down with muscle tremors and paralysis and never recovered.
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY GUN
    --
    24 Jul 2009 08:27 AM
    Not only do we have to worry about wolves, Lions, and idiots that just don't care and would steal your dog but now there's grass seeds and mushrooms.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    24 Jul 2009 05:28 PM
    Grouchy, that's a sad story to hear. I hope the family dealt with it well.

Hillbilly, I say we just chuck it all in and buy cats....sometimes I make myself laugh!

BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    24 Jul 2009 08:51 PM
    Trouble is they will steal those also Pork and Beans. I had a Brit stolen right out of my Kennel 10 years ago. A friend a few blocks from me, this past summer got a nice 2 year old Brit from the Brit Rescue. He had pointing and obedience was coming good and somebody stole it out of his fenced yard. Really makes you want to be a dog owner doesn't it.......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    --
    24 Jul 2009 09:04 PM
    It's crazy to think about and Pork I already got enough cats.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    27 Jul 2009 06:15 AM
    I don't get the whole stealing someone elses dog stuff. I get the jealous part, but not the stealing.
    --
    27 Jul 2009 09:33 AM
    It make no sense to me but it happens alot.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    27 Jul 2009 12:51 PM
    I am not positive but I think it is something like this. Some people hear you have a good hunting dog. The hunter is to lazy and to cheap to get a pup and have it trained. When they just wait for the right opportunity and steal yours. They think they have a dog for the up coming season. They don't understand the command and bonding between dog and master. So the dog gets dumped in the country and left to starve to death.

When they stole Misty my Female Brittany. I and most of the family was in Minnesota visiting our families. My youngest son was home alone. He was working and house sitting. He put Misty in the kennel after work and fell asleep. When he woke up and went to get Misty and she was gone.......Bob

---