BIRD GUNS?
Last Post 22 Oct 2010 08:18 PM by DoubleGun. 54 Replies.
Author Messages
BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
--
17 Jul 2009 06:27 PM

What are your favorite Upland bird guns? I hunt Quail, Pheasant, Huns, Chuker, Ruff Grouse. I use 2 guns, My 20 gauge Traditions By Fausti and my 28 gauge Savage Milano. They are both O/U's. With the right chokes and shells they both do the job very well......Bob

My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    17 Jul 2009 07:10 PM

I shoot a browning citori super lightning. Before that I was shooting a 20ga ithaca. I shoot 20's for every thing but waterfowl. I use to have a 28 in a savage o/u loved it .

Life's Short Play Hard
    grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    19 Jul 2009 05:07 AM

I'm shooting a Franchi o/u that has both 12 and 20 G barrels. I'm finding th 20 g is getting the most use .

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY GUN
    Tarheel BlueUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:105 Tarheel Blue
    --
    19 Jul 2009 07:39 PM

My favorite is the 91 year old Parker 16 gauge. It has taken ND & SD phez, as well its share of quail and dove down here in the short 2 1/2 years I've owned it.

"I am a Soldier, I fight where I am told and I win where I fight." - General George S. Patton
    Tarheel BlueUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:105 Tarheel Blue
    --
    19 Jul 2009 07:40 PM

"I am a Soldier, I fight where I am told and I win where I fight." - General George S. Patton
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    20 Jul 2009 05:16 AM

Some very nice guns gentlemen.

TB, is the Parker a SxS?  I thought it was an O/U.

I use a Beretta, Silver Pigeon, 20ga on Grouse and Phez.  I've also got a Beretta, 391, 12ga that I bought for when I get into a duck blind.

Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    --
    20 Jul 2009 12:47 PM

Pork, it is a SXS. Not aware that Parker ever produced any stackpoles. This particular piece is choked Skeet and Improved Modified.

TB

PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    21 Jul 2009 05:51 AM
    Thanks TB. I don't know why I remember it as a O/U. That is a really nice pic by the way.

Evan ClaassenUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:4 Evan Claassen
    --
    04 Aug 2009 02:44 PM

I have been shooting a Beretta Silver Pigeon IV in 28 gauge, but have ordered a Caesar Guerini Essex LTD. in 28 gauge that should arrive later this fall. Looking forward to a slightly heavier firearm, as the Beretta was too light.

BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    04 Aug 2009 04:17 PM

You know this swing to "its gotta be light." Has a lot of draw backs to it. Many hunters such as yourself Evan, have learned heavier is a little better. I will not buy a gun under 6 pounds. My 20's and 28 both weigh strangely the same thing 6.25 pounds. I find them to be good guns for an old man like me.......Bob

My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    04 Aug 2009 05:21 PM
    I threw a cynergy that was under 6 and thought it was gona end up acrossed the room. My browning citori super lightning weighs and 6 1/2.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    WestforkUser is Offline Send Private Message Posts:50 Westfork
    --
    05 Aug 2009 05:21 AM

I have a Aya 12ga double (Dad's Quail gun) and a 28ga double to "dump the birds".  I use a 12ga Browning Golden Hunter for Waterfowl.

--
    07 Aug 2009 05:15 AM
    Westfork, nice group of guns.
    JavUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:4 Jav
    --
    13 Aug 2009 04:07 PM
    I have a Benelli SBE II 12 gauge that I used for everything from ducks to quail. I wanted to go lighter so I purchased a Benelli Montefeltro in a 20 gauge which is light and swings well. It does all I need for the birds that I hunt. However, I find that the 12 gauge just fits me better. I love the look of an over under and have borrowed a 20 silver pigeon that was beautiful....it just didn't fit me and feel right. (That's the reason I used for missing the birds I wish I could use a gun a few times before I purchase. I'm always looking for my next gun, you guys have given me some great ideas. I agree with the lighter, not always better for me. I sure appreciate the light weight when hiking but I swing it too fast and take a while to "get use" to the gun.
    turboUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:13 turbo
    --
    13 Aug 2009 08:52 PM

I shoot a Ruger Red Label 20 ga with choke tubes.It seems to do OK .Any misses which there are a few is not the guns fault.I tried to use a semi 12ga but could not catch up to those roosters.This Ruger is what I used to hunt grouse with when we had some here in southern Ontario

Huntig birds without a good dog is not worth going out
    --
    14 Aug 2009 06:30 PM

Turbo, I had a RRL 20 gauge with 30 inch barrels.it was a good gun. The one I had worked well for me. I had just trouble keeping the wood on the wood with it......Bob

BCUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:4 BC
    --
    25 Aug 2009 12:34 PM

I use a berretta 686 black onyx 20ga for grouse and pheasant.

A Winchester super X2 for waterfowl 12ga

A Benelli Nova 12ga for turkey and backup

And  which ever rifle catches my fancy for deer season, .243 a bolt, 7mm-08 vanguard, 30-06 a bolt, or .300WSM Abolt

And the Smith and Wesson .44 when doing drives.

--
    25 Aug 2009 01:13 PM
    BC, back in the days when I hunted Big Game and other critters. My go to rifle was a .243, I killed more game with that rifle than any other I have ever owned. I hunted Big Game for about 35 years......Bob
    --
    26 Aug 2009 07:48 AM
    Jav, I love the SBE II. I had the opportunity to shoot it at a local outdoor festival and it was awesome. Light, soft shooting, minimal muzzle jump; great gun.
    chrisUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:94 chris
    --
    29 Aug 2009 06:48 AM
    I have two parkers for upland nothing better then a nice sxs with double triggers.Also have a rad label & a white wing,for hunting buddies.Super black eagle for duck (haven't done that in long time).870 for turkey heavy i know had the since i was 12.
    --
    30 Aug 2009 08:35 AM
    Chris, that is a great cabinet of wonderful guns.
    --
    30 Aug 2009 11:09 AM
    Chris, has the female half given you, "But honey you can only use one gun at a time, yet?" Then you know you have reached the limit in her eyes.......Bob
    --
    30 Aug 2009 02:36 PM

Chris, what gauges are your Parkers? I've got Volumes I & II of The Parker Story if you need any info on your guns. You can even request a historical letter from the Parker Gun Collector's Assn that will be of interest to you. My 16 gauge, GH Grade is #1,587 of  2,784 guns made in 1918 by Parker Bros. 

TB  

chrisUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:94 chris
    --
    30 Aug 2009 02:51 PM
    Thats just my shot guns i have two big gun safes & still have no room.The old ladie don't care she just shakes her head.The parkers are 20/12 ga.Never really got into 28 ga.I do have the the letter for parker the wife did all the leg work i could care less i just love shoting them.My buddy always yells at me because i use them in the field & i tell him if i cant use it i don't want it.I use to work in a gun shop part time got guns at cost.
    --
    30 Aug 2009 04:39 PM
    Chris you should get into the 28 gauge. It is a fun little gun that will kill what ever bird you want it too. I will say this reloading is the only way to go on the 28. The ammo is costly and that stops a lot of hunter from buying them......Bob
    --
    30 Aug 2009 05:04 PM
    Bob i think my freinds father has a 28 ga i will have to try it.
    --
    31 Aug 2009 09:28 AM

28's are awesome but Bob is right if you don't reload for it it won't be worth it. I'm shooting a Browning Citori Super Lightning this season in 20ga. I'll be trying it out tomorrow on some Ruffs and Blues.

Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    01 Sep 2009 05:44 AM
    I use 28 ga almost exclusively. Don't reload, get AA trap loads at Walmart for just under $10 / box. They work on quail, pheasant, grouse and dove. Waterfowl is the only thing the 12 comes out for unless I use Dads old double for the memories once in awhile.
    --
    01 Sep 2009 07:49 AM
    $10 a box their $17 a box here.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    01 Sep 2009 01:05 PM

A few years ago I bought 2 flats of 28 gauge at 6.99 a box. Winchester AA 1300FPS Target Loads. I now have 500 cases that I want for reloading. Man am I happy I did that.......Bob

--
    01 Sep 2009 04:47 PM
    Looked at at a CZ Ringneck (S x S) in 28 gauge today and was very tempted, but ddn't bite. ($950 including 4 boxes of shells).

If you've stockpiled your shotshells, do you keep them stored in a special area where you can control the climate/temp? An old trapshooter told me that extreme temp changes can have a negative effect on shells if the are stored for long periods of time. I may need to "Snopes" that.

Bob, chances are, we won't see the return of $6.99 a box Win AA's, even at Wally World!

TB
    --
    01 Sep 2009 06:44 PM

keep it dry and cool.  I have shells that I have used that are 15 years old and worked fine on clay pigeons.

--
    01 Sep 2009 10:18 PM
    I have room I use for reloading in my basement. My guns are kept in a friends Vault. Anyway, it is dark and coll most all the time I have never had a problem with my cases. The old paper ones could pick up moisture. But the plastics here in this desert climate are good all the time........Bob
    --
    02 Sep 2009 01:21 PM
    Bob I threw away 3 case's of hulls win aa 28's a couple months ago. If I would have known I would have sent them your way. TB I heard that Estates are sensitive to the cold. But I store all my shells in my shop.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    02 Sep 2009 02:55 PM

Ahh, Hillbilly, 28 gauge hulls are most sought after (insert "drooled over" here) by most smokepole reloaders, even if they don't shoot that particular gauge. The going rate is .15 per once fired hull, which equates to $3.75 per box (of 25 shells), which equates to $37.50 per case (250 shells in a case), which equates to $112.50 that you threw out into the garbage!!!

TB

--
    02 Sep 2009 03:12 PM

There's still a bunch laying in my training field from a year or so ago. Think there any good? Bob's going to kick me were it hurts for that one.

Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    02 Sep 2009 04:26 PM
    You better believe it. I will take all the 28 AA hulls you care to toss my way. Winchesters are the best 28 gauge hull to reload. The rest are only good for a few times.........Bob
    --
    02 Sep 2009 05:35 PM
    My little boy had a couple and they were winchester super x. I'll see if I have any left but I might know a couple people that might give me a bunch.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    02 Sep 2009 08:29 PM
    Thank you, I'll be hoping things work where you get them.....Bob
    --
    10 Sep 2009 08:05 AM
    Chris, I love your approach to guns. If you can't shoot them what really is the pleasure in having them. I'd love to hear/see more about them if you're willing to tell us more about them.
    --
    12 Sep 2009 06:01 AM
    Pork, The 20 ga. is a trojan I got from some lady selling her husbands guns (he pasted away).THe 12 ga is a titanic steel it was my fathers.He got the gun ,then was afraid to use it.Have 5 ars 2 are wilson combats,1 rock river arms,colt,& bushmaster.I have a m1 grand,m-14,ar-10.Almost got a 50 bmg once a buddy talk me out it.I have a bunch of hunt rifes but i only use one my tika 270 i love that gun.I also have a rem 700 pss in 308 that gun is a tactdriver.A bunch of handgun,3 or 4 glocks also my duty gun,hamerless 38 off duty gun,3 1911s love that platform.God it was great being single for gun buying now with a wife & an 8 year old my overtime dont go so far now.I did buy my litte girl a pink 22 & a single shot 410/20 ga.Cant wait til she 10.Had to trade some guns for my new dog (had him 2 seasons now) a great dog ,with the best nose better than any dog i had before him.Worth every gun i traded guns i never used.
    --
    23 Sep 2009 12:27 PM
    Great stuff and super story. The pink gun will pay dividends too. 2 years go by in the blink of an eye.
    --
    25 Sep 2009 08:26 PM
    pork,your right time sure does fly
    --
    25 Sep 2009 09:25 PM
    I hate to say this, but as you get older they go even faster. The kids seem to grow in years not months......Bob
    mack133User is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:1 mack133
    --
    20 Oct 2009 12:58 PM
    Hey guys I am lookig for some advise/thoughts on bird guns. I currently shoot a Mossburg 500 pump 12ga. I have had it for almost 30 years shoots good and have killed alot of birds with it. I mainly hunt pheasant. I was considering a over and under 12ga or 20ga versus a simi auto. Any input would be appriciated Thanks Mack133
    --
    20 Oct 2009 01:54 PM
    mack, welcome to the forum. Before I give a suggestion can you answer a few more questions for me? First, approximately what are you looking to spend? Second, do you want new or will you buy a used gun? And finally, is the gun only going to be used for Phez or will it also be used for Grouse, Ducks, Geese, Pumpkins?

--
    20 Oct 2009 05:00 PM
    Mack, Go to www.cdnnsports.com. They just came out with a new catalog and have some very nice O/U's at some very nice prices. Download their catalog and take a look. You might find something you like.......Bob
    --
    20 Oct 2009 06:50 PM
    Mack, I like s x s or o/u guns you have two different chokes ,I like double triggers on my side by sides
    pullitUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:18 pullit
    --
    25 Nov 2009 06:29 AM
    I really like my Winchester 101 XTR 20 ga.

--
    25 Nov 2009 03:17 PM
    Pullit, that's a fine lookin' piece of lumber attached to that stackpole. Barrel length?

TB
    --
    30 Nov 2009 05:56 AM
    Wow, beautiful wood like TB said.
    pullitUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:18 pullit
    --
    30 Nov 2009 09:49 AM
    thank you for the kind works about my gun.
    I picked the wood out from a guy in LasVegas and had a guy here in TN make the stock for me.

Tarheel the barrels are 28"
    DoubleGunUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:11 DoubleGun
    --
    14 Oct 2010 10:05 AM
    I shoot either a Citori Skeet model or Ugartechea AOC both in 28ga. I have also in the last couple years started shooting my 20ga. Ithaca Flues with 3/4oz. loaded in 2 3/4" hulls cut down to 2 9/16" on Mearns Quail.
    laabdogUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:3 laabdog
    --
    22 Oct 2010 06:23 PM
    i have a browning o/u 528 -12 ga. going pheasant hunting have all the choke tubes for it ic, icm, m, f, sk what tubes should i use and what order first shot then 2nd thank you
    DoubleGunUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:11 DoubleGun
    --
    22 Oct 2010 08:18 PM
    Depending on how close your are getting to the birds I would go with i/c and mod with the mod being the second barrel on birds going away. If the birds are getting up a ways out you could go with a i/mod in the second barrel if you have one. I would make a selection and stick with it. You can always drop to a larger(numericaly lower) shot size if you feel you need to. I shoot 6's @1350fps with i/c and i/mod out of my 28ga at pheasants but am not taking shots over about 30 yards, anything over that I would use 4 or 5's at the same velocity . Look for a clean kill if you think you are on target and if you seem to cripple to many drop your shot size till you get what you are after. Just my 2 cents. Good hunting.

---