FAVORITE GAUGE
Last Post 14 Oct 2010 10:49 AM by DoubleGun. 17 Replies.
Author Messages
BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
--
20 Jul 2009 12:22 PM

After reading over the replys to "Bird Guns". Another question has come to light. "What is your favorite Upland Shotgun Gauge?" I do shoot a 20 gauge at everything including Clays. But for pure upland fun, pride in skill and satisfaction. I'll take my 28 gauge anyday. I have taken every bird that is legal in the Bird Season with it. My 20 and 28 gauge both weigh exactly the same 6.25 pounds. So weight is not a factor......Bob

My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    21 Jul 2009 07:01 AM
    Bob, good question. I shoot a 20ga on pretty much everything. It is light, easy to shoot and feels good in my hands. I used to shoot a 12ga pump, but it was like carrying around a lead weight after a day of hunting. Now I have a semi-auto 12 and it is much easier to shoot and carry. I'll switch off with it once in awhile just for fun.
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    21 Jul 2009 07:55 AM
    Man, I love shooting my 20g barrels. But for late season when the birds are getting skittish/wise, I kinda' "feel" under gunned without my 3" #4's, choked and the 12... I know, it's only a few more shot. I said I "feel".. :p
    I score higher on average, at the trap,skeet range w/ the 20.
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY GUN
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    21 Jul 2009 11:53 AM
    I don't own one any more but I love the 28ga. I've shot a lot of upland birds with one and even made doubles on wild chukars late in season.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    21 Jul 2009 02:58 PM
    G.O.D. I am the same as you. When I went from a 12 to a 20 gauge shooting Trap. My16 yard average in fun league actually went up. That was really a shock to the 12 gauge purist people......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    pullitUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:18 pullit
    --
    17 Nov 2009 02:47 PM
    20 ga is what I use for most everything except duck and turkey, but plan on trying it for both this duck season and spring turkey season.
    --
    18 Nov 2009 05:46 PM

Pullit, I like the way you think a 20 can do anything a 12 can do. You just have less pellets to do it with........Bob

pullitUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:18 pullit
    --
    20 Nov 2009 10:26 AM
    I do like the 16's and the 28's as well but from my experince on pheasent's, the 28 is a little light for wild birds unless you can get them fast.
    --
    20 Nov 2009 02:06 PM

Yes, the 28 gauge will take Pheasants, I have done it many times. Trouble is now, I'm getting old and slow and I have to go to heavier shot. So far I haven't had a bird to try them on.....Bob

--
    20 Nov 2009 03:55 PM
    the 28 is a great quail gun for sure. I have not tried it on chucker but think it would do ok.
    --
    24 Nov 2009 09:20 PM
    Pullit, you are under-rating the 28 gauge. It will do everything a larger bore will do only it does it on a smaller scale. The 28 is only as good as the man shooting it.....Bob
    --
    25 Nov 2009 07:21 AM
    I will admit that I have had no trouble killing pheasant with my 28 ga but they were at about 25 yrds. The only other pheasant that I have seen shot (at) were by other people at longer ranges and I have not seen them do very well.
    I guess that I was making my judgement based on others and to be honest, I don't know how well they can shoot.
    BigMattUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:42 BigMatt
    --
    20 Dec 2009 04:30 PM
    I started with a12 gauge when I was 8yrs old and I still shoot a 12 gauge. I'm sure as I get more established in life I will be trying out the other gauges!!
    BigRoosterUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:24 BigRooster
    --
    24 Mar 2010 08:05 AM

My go-to is the 12 ga. o/u.  Dont leave home without.

griffUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:26 griff
    --
    04 Jul 2010 10:46 AM

The 12 was always my gun of choice. I don't know if it's age or laziness but I'm really starting to like packing a 20 around. Recently I've started to drool over 28 side by sides.  I have a picture in my mind of me walking the grouse woods with a 28 sxs. This is after the knots on my head have gone down and assuming I didn't have to hawk it to pay the divorce lawyer and medical bills. All caused by it's purchase

HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    04 Jul 2010 01:27 PM
    She won't divorce you Marc just break your knee's. Gotta love those women.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    04 Jul 2010 02:02 PM
    Mark take her out and let her shoot that nice little 28 gauge. You may have a new hunting partner..............Bob
    DoubleGunUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:11 DoubleGun
    --
    14 Oct 2010 10:49 AM
    You mean they make more than one gauge? I thought 28ga.was it!

---