Dog Care
Last Post 31 Jul 2009 04:03 PM by Bob. 10 Replies.
Author Messages Not Resolved
WestforkUser is Offline Send Private Message Posts:50 Westfork
--
27 Jul 2009 09:10 PM

Does anyone have a good comb that will help remove burrs and matts from the hair coat on a English Cocker?

\

HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    28 Jul 2009 02:00 PM
    I use a little barbers comb on my griffons but if you can't get them out use some cooking oil message it in then pick at it with a comb it might take a little time but it will get it out.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    29 Jul 2009 03:03 PM

Thanks

HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    29 Jul 2009 04:38 PM
    Let me know how it works out. You might have to clip the dog but the oil will work.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    29 Jul 2009 06:27 PM

A Brittany's coat is very similar to a Cocker's. I clip Tony way down at the start of the season to keep the burrs off and to keep him cooler. This picture of Tony relaxing after a hunt with his favorite cigar. Notice how short his coat is......Bob

My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    --
    30 Jul 2009 06:30 AM
    I have been told to trim her, I just hated to cut her locks off she is so pretty. This is my first flusher and long hair dog. I have always been a German Shorthair man. But I think I may give it a whirl. She came back off a walk in the woods the other day with her ears stuck together over the top of her head. It was funny for a short period of time! Thanks to all for the responses. I like this forum. Trying to figure out how to post a picture.
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    30 Jul 2009 08:26 PM
    My wife wouldn't let me trim my dog either until I had her help me cean burrs off of her. Now I trim her tail, withers and behind her ears. It is sort of a balance that we've agreed upon in our family. If I can't get them out with a typical comb, I just use a small hairdresser type pair with a pointy nose.
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    30 Jul 2009 08:27 PM
    Bob, that's a close trim on Tony. How hot is it when your season begins?
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    30 Jul 2009 10:50 PM

It is usually in the mid-70's, sometimes it gets as high as 80. But Tony is very susceptible to heat. So I keep him cliped that short to give him more time in the field. What people forget. When the sun is shining those weeds for a dog can be 10-20 degrees hotter than the air temp. Not a whole heck of a lot of air gets down inside those weeds where the dogs are. Tony is most comfortable when the weather is in the 40's......Bob

My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    --
    31 Jul 2009 06:15 AM

I completely agree.  Paying attention to your dog and conditions when it is warm is imperative.  Wasn't it only a few years back that guys were literally running their dogs to death in South Dakota because of the heat during the early part of the hunting season?

My dog doesn't seem to start hitting her stride until it gets in the 40's too.  I've run her in sub-zero temps, but with a coat/skit plate on to trap some body heat.  We can get extremely cold here and that can be just as bad.

--
    31 Jul 2009 04:03 PM
    Yes, it was a few years ago in SD, it was hot here too that year the opener was in the 80's. I remember; I carry water for Tony always, even on our daily runs. He went drank a bottle that holds about a quart of water, in about a half hour. We get cold here too. But I don't like to hunt when it is that cold. I just cannot shoot well with all those cloths on.....Bob

---