dog traing
Last Post 07 Jul 2010 06:15 PM by Hillbilly. 8 Replies.
Author Messages
griffUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:26 griff
--
04 Jul 2010 11:20 AM

I went to a dog club training yesterday. It was pretty informal. The guy's with more experience and better trained dogs helping those of us with no clue. Most of us had pups, a few older dogs that acted like pups. They did two drills with us beginners.

Drill # 1. Every one leashes their dog. Single file we walk down a road 25 feet a part. The person in front stops. All dogs are whoaed. The person at the back of the line walk his dog forward to the front of the line weaving around the other dogs. When he gets to the front the next person comes forward. Any time your dog moves you pick it up and put it back. We did this several times and reversing the direction at the end. I saw a lot of improvement in a short time.

Drill # 2. They planted a pigeon in a trap. Two finished dogs were hunted towards the trap. Both dogs went on point. The rest of us then walked our dogs in on leash. We formed a circle around the two dogs on point. A handler then walked into the circle and started to release birds one by one. Every time your dog moved you picked it up and put it back. The 2 dogs on point never moved. I didn't seem to get as much out of this as the first drill. I have a dog just under a year and one just over. They were pretty amped up and wanted to chase. Looking back I guess I got more than I realized. In one drill the dogs were exposed to 12 birds. I was nice to get the help. Me and my boys are just getting back into bird dogs after running hounds for years. Any one have any thoughts on these training methods.

Afterwards they went onto some drills that were for the advanced dogs. Very interesting to watch.

HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    04 Jul 2010 01:25 PM
    Sounded like fun.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    04 Jul 2010 02:10 PM

Right now I'm taking Gunne to a dog trainer. We are putting out 6 pigeons in sets of 3. Gunne gets a rest of about 20 minutes between birds sets. We have done this twice so far and I can see his bird drive and all that goes with it improve each time. My next appointment is for this coming Tuesday. He will have had a 6 day rest. Should be interesting to see what happens.............Bob

My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    04 Jul 2010 05:15 PM
    We'll be waiting for the details. Sounds like he's a good 1.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    TCJACKUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:46 TCJACK
    --
    04 Jul 2010 07:42 PM
    what trainer you using bob.
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    04 Jul 2010 11:18 PM

I am going to Dunfer Kennels, and Dan Hoke is the trainer

My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    TCJACKUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:46 TCJACK
    --
    05 Jul 2010 11:35 AM
    ive heard nothing but good about dan hoke. good luck, and keep us posted!
    --
    06 Jul 2010 02:07 PM
    I am ecstatic Gunne went to the trainers this morning and pointed 2 pure white pigeons. Dan the trainer planted them in a field a ways from his house, where he could shoot. Gunne went in on the 1st bird and Dan had him stay steady. He had his right paw up under the chest in a classic point and he held it for about 4 minutes. Then he dropped the paw, telling us he was getting ready to break. When he broke the bird flushed and Dan dropped it 1 shot from a 12 gauge O/U. Gunne ran to it but did not know really what to do. He smelled the bird picked it up and then dropped it. He then took off hunting so Dan worked him into the 2nd bird. This one he pointed for about 3 minutes before it flushed. Dan again dropped it the 12 gauge. Gunne ran over to the bird picked it up and danced around with it for little bit and dropped it. Dan got him and we put him up into the pick-up. Dan was very happy no reaction to the big gun at all. I had told him I started gun breaking him at 10 weeks. Dan checked him a few times and we agreed it was safe to do what we did today. Dan said he will be a ready and a good hunting dog by pheasant season...............Bob
    --
    07 Jul 2010 06:15 PM
    That is awesome Bob and Gunne
    Life's Short Play Hard

---