5 month old german shorthair fetching
Last Post 02 Dec 2010 06:25 AM by freefallgsp. 1 Replies.
Author Messages
wfjonesUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:3 wfjones
--
30 Nov 2010 02:44 PM

hello im new to this forum. i have a 5 month old german shorthaired puppy, hes a great dog so far. i just went hunting with him yesterday for the first time no complaints. but he will not fetch the bird he seems to be scared of them, he found it but would not pick it up. he loves to fetch the ball. any suggestions?

freefallgspUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:65 freefallgsp
    --
    02 Dec 2010 06:25 AM
    Take a dead bird and play "fetch" with it in the yard. I personally would not suggest force-fetching a dog under 7-9 months old, but that would be your choice and judgement call.

I tell my puppy people (I breed GSPs) and clients to try to preserve the natural retrieving instinct in their dogs young, so now would be a good time to start to teach him retrieving is fun. Close the doors down a hallway or play with him in the backyard on a long line so he has to come back to you.

Tease him with the bird first getting him all excited and then throwing it a small distance, before calling him enthusiastically. Make this a "big deal" for him so that he knows he's doing good. Do not take it away from him right away, give him lots of praise and loving and soon you'll have a dog that LOVES to retrieve to you because he knows it pleases you that he's doing a good job. Sometimes the first dead bird is scary especially if he's never been able to catch them before so this will be the closest he ever has gotten to "seeing" one.

Good Luck,

Jessica
    Freefall GSP
    Home Of:

Suma Kiss of Kings MH

Hunter's Ridge Sinking the Bismarck MH
    Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"A good bird dog is only as good as your aim, as the proof is always in the bag." - Unknown

---