Getting a dog used to firearms.
Last Post 14 May 2011 12:42 PM by birdshot. 1 Replies.
Author Messages
Tide HouseUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:2 Tide House
--
07 May 2011 09:30 AM

Edit: First time poster here. I appreciate any advice you can give.

I have a 5yr old german short-hair and doberman mix named Quinlan. I raised him from 10 weeks. He has the markings of a doberman with the proportions of a large pointer for those that are wondering. Anyway, I want to take him out hunting this fall but he's never been out shooting and I've seen him get skittish from the sound of fireworks. How can I get him comfortable with the noise? I've been thinking about taking him out and letting him hang around while we shoot clays this summer. Are there any tricks or is it just a matter of time?

He's well trained to range and heel and I know he'll flush birds when he finds them, though retrieving might take some work. I'm just worried about his confidence around firearms.

birdshotUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:25 birdshot
    --
    14 May 2011 12:42 PM

Tidehouse, If your dog enjoys retrieving the easy way to aclimate him to gunfire is shot while he is retrieving. Start with gunner off about 100 yards. The gunner should fire a shot as they throw the bumper, let your dog go for the bumper quickly after hearing the shot, so he does not have time to fear the noise. pretty soon your dog will associate gunfire with retrieve, move the gunner closer as the dog shows no signs of nervousness.  when the dog is in your duck blind don't fire right over his head. alot of dogs are afraid of firecrackers but not gunfire. don't move to fast and only a couple of retrieves per session.

---