What a time I had.
Last Post 27 Sep 2009 04:17 PM by Brady-24-7. 11 Replies.
Author Messages
Brady-24-7User is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:41 Brady-24-7
--
23 Sep 2009 05:44 PM

I went to shoot sporting clays at my home club in Alberta Canada on Tuesday 9:30AM with the mindset, I am gonna break them all. When I got there it was beautiful 75 degrees and sunny the perfect fall day.

What I noticed next was cocerning NO cars in the lot.

The owner told me hardly anyone comes out on Tuesdays and this was my first Tuesday outing.

What happened next was that I wasn't gonna give up on the perfect day so I pulled for myself.

Well I have to tell you that will throw off your shooting in a big way. I guess I shouldn't complain it was better than working. But I certainly didn't break them all.

Has anyone else done this and how did you find it?

Take care and GRINDEMUP

BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    23 Sep 2009 09:23 PM
    I never did it on Sporting Clays but I did it on Trap a few years back. I too dropped birds because my grip on the gun was not tight enough most of time.
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    Brady-24-7User is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:41 Brady-24-7
    --
    24 Sep 2009 04:36 PM
    Ah yes I had that as well as lack of concentration,and set-up on the target. With my normal scores I am happy to have any excuse.
    BrowndogUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:35 Browndog
    --
    24 Sep 2009 07:45 PM

We have a local club with wireless digital remotes that you carry along with you throughout the course. It can be programmed with a given delay (like 5-7 sec.) that makes it easy to shoot alone. They have 3 sided  shooting stations where the remote can just lay next to you about waist high. A very nice item at this particular place.

He went to these digital remotes to keep a closer count on how many birds are being thrown. Some people have been known to take advantage of the wired remotes, costing the range alot of extra money to stay in business.

dogpowerUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:60 dogpower
    --
    25 Sep 2009 07:58 AM

The last time I shot sporting clays by myself I had a perfect score. 

--
    25 Sep 2009 05:01 PM

I like your style......

Apparently I missed the boat........... It could have been my day to have a perfect score as well!!!!!!!!!!!        

BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    25 Sep 2009 05:35 PM
    My Sporting Clays, a remote control deal. But I don't know exactly how it works.......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    --
    25 Sep 2009 07:39 PM

This club had the old style system where I had 2 controls to try and work. One for each machine. I wish it would have had an easier system. It was almost to the point I wish my wife were there to pull for me. Then again maybe it was just fine alone.

Is the dog in your photo a Brittany? 

--
    25 Sep 2009 10:30 PM
    yes Brady That is Tony my 10 year old Brittany. Tomorrow we are going out and run and point pheasants planted by the state for the yearly youth hunt. That is his hunting season tune-up......Bob
    --
    26 Sep 2009 05:31 PM

Hey Bob

My name is actually Lee and  Brady is my 4 1/2 yr old Brittany. He is absolutely bar none the best dog I have ever had. I got him from the rescue society at 8 months didn't know his name and had rarely got out of a cage. But I can tell you he is the best couch dog ever and has quite the personality. Unfortunately I think he was beaten while trying to make him hunt when he was young. He will hunt like crazy but when he finds a pheasant he will hunker down behind me and shake.

I now take him out with no expectations and he is slowly getting braver.

The sad part is he lives to hunt and point any bird except for the ones we want to hunt. Maybe by the time he is 10 he will finally point pheasants well.

With that being said I wouldn't trade him for the world.

Lee  

--
    26 Sep 2009 08:00 PM

Brady. Tony was traumatized by a trainer. He over used the e-collar, It took a while but Tony did come out of it. Today he will come out of his Travel Cage to get his E-collar put on. What you have to and I mean this; When he finds a bird/birds Hug him and tell what a good dog he is. I mean praise the daylights out of him. Pet him and show he really pleasing you. Over do it, I mean really lay the love and praise on him. Brittany's love to please their Master and when you give them the Love and Praise, they normally respond fairly fast it took Tony about 2 years to come around.......Bob

--
    27 Sep 2009 04:17 PM

Thanks Bob for the encouragement. He is truly my dog he won't leave me alone for a second much to my wife's displeasure. He has drastically improved and I will praise the daylights out of him and hope for the best. Even if he doesn't hunt any better he sure is a good companion.

Thanks again

Lee

---