New Puppy? Check Out the Kennel and Cover Package Deal
Top Banner
Pheasants Forever
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Are Gun Plugs Effective
Last Post 30 Jul 2009 10:31 PM by Bob. 21 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
jballardUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:40 jballard
--
24 Jul 2009 04:34 PM
    Do you think laws requiring a plug in a gun so it only holds 3 shells is an effective way to reduce harvest numbers?
    Yes- It's A Good Idea (3)
     30%
    No- There is already a limit (7)
     70%
    I don't know but I just wanted to vote (0)
     0%

jballardUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:40 jballard
    --
    24 Jul 2009 04:35 PM

I've never understood why if their is a limit on the number of birds you can harvest anyway why some states require a gun to be modified to only hold 3 shells.  Do you guys think this is a good idea or bad idea?  In my opinion its just another example of over regulation by goverment.

HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    24 Jul 2009 04:39 PM
    You don't have to have a plug in the gun in Idaho for upland but you do for waterfowl that makes no sense at all to me how is one different from the other your only allowed x amount of birds either way.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    Capt. HookUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:19 Capt. Hook
    --
    24 Jul 2009 05:28 PM
    Here in Illinois, you must have a plug in at all times except for the extra goose season.
    "His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. He has promised to wait for me..whenever... wherever — in case I need him. And I expect I will — as I always have. He is just my dog." Gene Hill
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    24 Jul 2009 05:57 PM

Same here in Oregon. I shoot an o/u but I think that the gun was made to hold 5 or 6 then you should be allowed to put that many in it. It isn't going to make you a better shot and I know a few guys including my self that the ammo companys would really like even more.

Life's Short Play Hard
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    24 Jul 2009 07:01 PM
    Putting it simply, (for me) If you're a big enough idiot to pop off 5 rounds at a bird then you should be allowed to do it. There are bag limits to control harvest numbers and there's birth control to control more idiots in the world.

Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    --
    24 Jul 2009 07:52 PM
    Well said.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    Tarheel BlueUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:105 Tarheel Blue
    --
    24 Jul 2009 08:54 PM

Guys, I can see both sides of it. I have been on dove hunts and there is always some cowboy out there sky-busting with just 3 shells and hasn't hit anything yet. There are some guys out there that would take a machine-gun on a duck, pheasant or deer hunt if they could as well, thinking that more firepower is the only way to go.

Physically limiting the # of shells in a gun is a means of promoting more disciplined marksmanship fundamentals and therefore (hopefully) eliminating fewer crippled quarry also. We have game laws, yes, but we also have Game Wardens to assist in enforcng those laws, as not all sportsmen are as honest as they should be, especially when the birds are plentiful and really flying and some may find it too tempting to adhere to the game limits.

Go ahead, I'm strapping on my kevlar vest and bracing for your response(s)!

TB

"I am a Soldier, I fight where I am told and I win where I fight." - General George S. Patton
    BoUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:21 Bo
    --
    25 Jul 2009 09:24 AM

indiana doesn't have a plug law for upland, but does have for waterfowl. don't need a plug on a O/U.

--
    25 Jul 2009 09:47 AM
    Wow TB you worded that just right. Are you running for office some you'll get my vote. Your point really hits it on the nose. It's how you look at it but people that don't hunt here crazy stories of guys with guns holding a handful of round and they think assualt weapon. And as it stands hunters don't need any more help getting thing taken away or any more reasons for them to want to.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    25 Jul 2009 02:09 PM
    The states regulate their own Upland Game. Waterfowl Regulations are set by the Feds. They do give the states some voice in it. Like allowing the late season Geese to shot without a plug. That is a Damage Control issue that only the states know what has to be done......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    llewellinUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:102 llewellin
    --
    25 Jul 2009 05:35 PM

i did not read everyones threads so this might have already been said but... one reason i can think of for limiting the gun to three shells is... as you all know there are alot of stupid people in this world. alot of people keep shooting at the duck until there gun is empty, irregardless of wether the bird is out of range. limiting people to three shells might be a way to reduce the cripple rate?? since some people skybust i'd rather them only be skybusting shooting three times then five.

llewellinUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:102 llewellin
    --
    25 Jul 2009 05:36 PM
    wow tarheel basically just said what i said but said it better. i just read his post i swear
    --
    25 Jul 2009 05:38 PM
    btw i keep my gun plugged to three shells even while upland hunting.
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    27 Jul 2009 07:07 AM

Great, logical and coherent arguments from everybody.  Keep them coming.

Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    Tarheel BlueUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:105 Tarheel Blue
    --
    27 Jul 2009 11:51 AM
    Picture this...a criminal minded human being breaks into the home of a citizen (hunter), who just so happens to have an unplugged shotgun in the corner that he used earlier this morning (phez, ducks, etc....somewhow escaped getting a ticket from the Warden). The criminal then steals the gun, loads the magazine tube (w/o gun plug) to full capacity, and racks one in the chamber, then reloads another shell into the magazine tube. Criminal then walks into the nearest convenience store and goes on a shooting/murder spree, emptying the gun of all shells in the meantime and looting the cash register.

Lack of plugged gun and the responsible gun owner not properly securing his firearm(s) enables criminal to cause further harm on fellow citizens.

TB
    "I am a Soldier, I fight where I am told and I win where I fight." - General George S. Patton
    --
    27 Jul 2009 11:53 AM
    Nicely put TB.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    27 Jul 2009 01:35 PM
    When I hunted with pumps ans auto's I always had them plugged. Put one in when I got it and just never took it out. Now that I shoot nothing but SxS and O/U's. I don't have to worry about plugs. I'm always legal too
    TB, The scenario you tell has happened far to many times. I wish there was a good answer for it.....Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    --
    28 Jul 2009 09:57 AM
    i believe there is one simple answer to tb's problem BUY A GUNSAFE keep your guns with trigger locks, dont be irresponsible. to bad there are to many people that are not responsible.
    bailey blueUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:21 bailey blue
    --
    28 Jul 2009 11:51 AM
    When I started hunting small game I did so with a single shot H&R twenty gauge and did so until I was 18 or so. The reason for this, according to my Dad was threefold... Safety, marksmanship, and Safety. I remember hunting squirrels one day with my best friend who sported a winchester semi. (here in PA the law says plugged to three shells). A squirrel broke from the top of the tree and ran down the side of it. He unloaded that gun in under a second, only to allow me to easily shoot the sitting squirrel that was trying to figure out what the hell was going on. We have many stories like this and he now vows that his sons will start with single shots. Another buddy almost took an ear off of my hide when he forgot he still had a shell in the tube. I think that these are good examples of why its OK to limit the number of shells, and we all know people who wouldn't unless they were made to.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com