Free Shipping when you Spend $125 in our Store
Top Banner
Pheasants Forever
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Hunting Public The Same Day Birds Are Released
Last Post 05 Aug 2009 06:35 AM by Westfork. 15 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
jballardUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:40 jballard
--
27 Jul 2009 09:09 AM
    Should public land be allowed to be hunted right after it has been stocked with birds?
    Yes (4)
     44%
    No (5)
     56%

Here in Wisconsin public hunting grounds are stocked with pheasants as the season goes on.  I've heard guys debating this so I thought I would throw it out to the group.  What is everyone's take on hunting public land right after the land has been stocked?

HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    27 Jul 2009 10:32 AM
    I've only hunted 1 place in Idaho like this and at times it looked a little dangerous. But when I guided we'd give the birds we planted an hour so they could lay down scent.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    27 Jul 2009 01:33 PM
    I'd be willing to wait a full week .. "IF" they would only stock our public..
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY GUN
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    27 Jul 2009 01:58 PM
    Here they do stock some Public Hunting places on Thursdays. But you never know which Thursday. I do believe they should be hunted the same day as released. For if you go there the next day you are lucky to see a bird or 2. As one of my Farmer friends that lives near one of the release sites puts it. "The coyotes and other predators will eat good tonight." It has happened to many times to ignore.......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    27 Jul 2009 03:38 PM
    Good point Bob why feed the predators and not have any birds to hunt.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    Tarheel BlueUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:105 Tarheel Blue
    --
    27 Jul 2009 08:57 PM

Same thing down here...we put the quail out and within a hour the dang hawks are circling. Bottom line, pen-raised bird just ain't as wily as wild birds and don't have the sense to use cover and concealment. Easy pickings for the predators. 

TB 

"I am a Soldier, I fight where I am told and I win where I fight." - General George S. Patton
    llewellinUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:102 llewellin
    --
    28 Jul 2009 09:54 AM
    if u mean right after as in like ten minutes or even a few hours after i would say no you should not be able to hunt right after they are stocked. on the other hand where i hunt pheasants are put out very late friday night and the hunters hunt them on saturday after going to a check station and lining up in number order (we are assigned numbers through the phone) and choosing there spots. it gives the birds like 10-12 hourse to move around but must dont since they are put out at night. then saturday night they are put out and on sunday everyone lines up with there number chooses a spot and goes. then one day a week they put birds out for the next day. so we have three days a week that birds are stocked. but on the weekdays it is first come first served. i like this method and i believe it is fairly unique (i dont know of anywhere else that stocks like this) i would much prefer wild birds. since the owls and foxes kill the birds at night. and someyears the birds can barely get off the ground
    bailey blueUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:21 bailey blue
    --
    28 Jul 2009 11:39 AM
    Here in Pa the PAGC does stock, and its like the first day of trout in most palces where the hunters line the fields as the truck pulls up. It appears scary enough to me that I avoid it. That said, predation is a big issue here too, and those birds are "sitting ducks". You also have to consider that good cover is hard to come by here, and most of these hunters will hunt pheasants once a year, without dogs, so this optimizes there chances. The club I'm a member of stocks a few birds daily early in the am, and the retirees are often there to shoot them out of the bag. I like getting there in the evening after work. There's hardly anyone there and the birds have moved and laid scent. Bailey and I will have the whole area to ourselves, and often put up 10-12 birds in two hours or so.
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    30 Jul 2009 08:34 PM

Around here I've heard stories of guys in the past putting out birds and then going back to their trucks to get their guns. That's the kind of stuff that is irritating to me. They have changed how the birds get planted so you don't see this as much now though.  Regularly planted areas close for hunting at 2pm so they can come and plant birds.  Then the hunting opens up the following day at sunrise.

Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    30 Jul 2009 10:27 PM
    Pork&Beans, are here any birds left for them to hunt the next day? There might be a few but not as many as they released, I'll bet......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    31 Jul 2009 06:08 AM
    I'm sure you're right Bob. It also is a safer process for the people releasing the birds. If they released them in the morning there is invariably going to be someone who thinks it's ok to be hunting the land when they might still be releasing them.

For what it's worth the story of releasing and then hunting birds is an absolute minority and I haven't heard of it happening in many years. The vast majority of the people that release the birds are good people doing a tremendous job.
    --
    31 Jul 2009 06:10 AM

100 posts and I'm a....happy puppy?!? 

llewellinUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:102 llewellin
    --
    31 Jul 2009 09:39 AM
    lmao! haaha happy puppy. wait if your a happy puppy then .... what am i??
    --
    31 Jul 2009 01:20 PM

The sign says you "Pheasant Chick." Which you are young enough to enjoy. I am the one that is an old retired Rooster, surely not a 'Pheasant Chick".....Bob

BoUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:21 Bo
    --
    01 Aug 2009 05:22 AM
    I'd let them wait a few days to get accustom to there new surroundings, same day or next day i think you'll see alot of runners.
    WestforkUser is Offline Send Private Message Posts:50 Westfork
    --
    05 Aug 2009 06:35 AM

I raise gamebirds and we place them for hunts.  The best method I have found is to place the birds in the AM darkness and let them find there way out of the cage on their own.  We pick the cages up before we hunt so the dogs do not get confused.  Do not hunt them until 9 to 10 in the morn and you will be surprised how far they will travel.   I agree that the predators will home in on them but we do have stragglers combine into coveys and will surprise you at times, sometimes a week later (we know they are our birds since they are banded).  We also use recall traps and have had some birds released and recovered up to three times!  These birds are then held for release in the wild at the season's end.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com