Get Free Shipping on Dog Supplies and Upland Hunting Gear
Pheasants Forever
Top Banner
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 2

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
You Can Only Have One Shotgun
Last Post 11 Sep 2009 09:28 PM by Bob. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Foremost MediaUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:97 Foremost Media
--
29 Jul 2009 10:28 PM
    If I could only own one shotugun it would be a:
    Over Under (4)
     40%
    Pump (1)
     10%
    Automatic (5)
     50%
    Other (0)
     0%

If you could only have one type of shotgun what would you choose?  Feel free to explain why in your reply.

BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    30 Jul 2009 12:46 PM
    I prefer O/U's. I like the way you can set up the gun for different choke barrels and then use shells to match those chokes. I think they offer a hunter a lot of versatility......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    30 Jul 2009 08:32 PM
    I love o/u's but if I had to pick one skatter gun for all my types of hunting, I would have to go with a semi-auto because of the flexibility and extra shell for waterfowling.
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    31 Jul 2009 04:12 PM
    Ok PB, Just how many ducks do you get in the bag with that 3rd shot? When I was duck and goose hunting, by the time I got to the 3rd shot they were pretty close to being out of range......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    31 Jul 2009 04:19 PM
    O/u all the way tried switching back to a pump last year didn't work for me like a o/u. Been shooting them for 11 years now.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    31 Jul 2009 04:26 PM
    Bob, I've never gone duck/goose hunting, but I want to try. You're probably right on the 3rd shot, but I would think it would be nice to have. I use an o/u for phez and grouse, but figured for all around the semi would offer more flexibility. I love cracking open the action on an o/u and having the shells and smoke pop out. There is something about that which I really like.
    Tarheel BlueUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:105 Tarheel Blue
    --
    31 Jul 2009 09:28 PM

That's not FAIR!! Choosing only one shotgun, is kinda like saying you can only date one girl in your entire lifetime!! I love shooting a quality O/U on clays, phez and doves and would gladly select a Krieghoff K-80 Sporting Model, Crown Grade, ($36, 945 (!) as advertised on Gunbroker.com) with 32" barrels (with a matched set of 28" barrels for upland game, with full-length drop in sub-gauge tubes from Briley). Check it out at www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=135891129. Of course I could never afford to buy it, but we can only dream ...."What if I win the lottery?!"

However, I couldn't bring myself to take this high caliber of a gun into a duck blind with a muddy retriever and clumsy hunting buddies. I'd have to find a way to sneak in a trusty and ugly old pump gun for that kind of hunting.

TB

"I am a Soldier, I fight where I am told and I win where I fight." - General George S. Patton
    --
    31 Jul 2009 11:46 PM
    I'd hate to be saddled with only same choke for both close and far birds. I guess it is a trade-off no mater which way a shooter goes.......Bob
    BoUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:21 Bo
    --
    01 Aug 2009 05:19 AM

I love my O/U's , but use the pump(swap) barrels for a rifled deer slug, swap back put the gobblin thunder choke tube in for
    turkey time the back to the bird barrel for gamebirds. Keep one close for home defense, would like to see the face of an intruder then you slam a shell in the chamber.

ZedUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:24 Zed
    --
    04 Sep 2009 06:21 PM
    I love my Remington 11-87 too much to give it up
    --
    10 Sep 2009 08:14 AM
    Zed, an all around, reliable choice.
    --
    10 Sep 2009 06:09 PM
    How can you hunters adjust so quickly. I have an 11-87 and it stays in the rack most of time. I am so use to shooting my O/U's, the long sighting plane of the 11-87, gets me screwed up every time. But on the other hand it doesn't take much to screw me up.......Bob
    --
    11 Sep 2009 07:19 AM
    I actually find the it helpful. For me it is easier to gauge in my peripheral vision.
    grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    11 Sep 2009 09:12 AM
    .."only one shotgun".... I refuse to play... ...
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY GUN
    --
    11 Sep 2009 09:28 PM
    Maybe that is it Pork, I have lost my peripheral vision. If you have ever shot skeet for example, I cannot see the birds on station 7. I just don't have the vision to see them anymore. The reason Glaucoma, it did some damage before it was caught and controlled......Bob
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com