Top Banner
Pheasants Forever
Register   Login

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 2

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
What Kind of Dog Food
Last Post 19 Aug 2009 02:38 PM by Porknbeans. 24 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
--
03 Aug 2009 02:08 PM

Ok guys what kinds of dog food does everyone feed?

Life's Short Play Hard
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    03 Aug 2009 04:12 PM
    This may sound strange to some of you. I was at a NASTRA Hunt Trail. This breeder of Brittany's was there and He was feeding Wal-Mart HI PRO. I asked if it was as good as Purina. He answered it has all the same stuff. You have seen, my dog work and win on it what more is there to say. Guess what I feed Tony. He does very well on it also......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    03 Aug 2009 05:04 PM
    It's probably a purina food in a different bag I feed black gold. But if I didn't have so many dogs I'd feed purina.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    WestforkUser is Offline Send Private Message Posts:50 Westfork
    --
    03 Aug 2009 05:36 PM

It is ver hard to know who it making the feed you use.  I worked for Ralston Purina and Purina Mills for many years in sales.  There are all kind of contracts to manufacture feed for other companies.  The key is to buy the best you can afford from one of the leaders.  If their name is on  the bag then the ingredients are going to be controlled more closely than the other brands they may be making for someone else.  A company can make many different rations at the same plant (and do).  High end to low end.  Bottom line you always get what you pay for.

BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    03 Aug 2009 08:13 PM
    I made a mistake in the name It is "High Performance." I do know this my Wal-Mart got a shipment of the stuff today in 50 pound bags. I heard about it at 6:30 my time. Went right up and got the last bag. It sells out that quick.....Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    2 FEATHERSUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:6 2 FEATHERS
    --
    03 Aug 2009 08:22 PM

I HAVE FED PURINA PRO PLAN HI PERFORMANCE FOR SEVERAL YEARS(10). HAVE NO HEALTH PROBLEMS AND THE COATS ARE SLICK.  MOST OF THE PRO TRAINERS THAT I HAVE USED USE IT ALSO. 

--
    03 Aug 2009 08:47 PM
    I'd use it if I could get it in quantity. But the Black Gold that I feed is also really good food and I feed 25 dogs and they all have slick shinny coats. I used to feed what Bob feeds to my dogs but I moved and can't get it.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    04 Aug 2009 12:35 PM
    I'm feeding "Diamond" premium adullt. 26% protien, 18 fat.
    It is good food.
    I feed 3 hounds and my lab'. 2 cups per day per dog, keeps them shiny and fit. Any more than 2 cups and they start getting 'round' belly.
    Clean up is a snap. a couple of small, black, solid turds per day, that's it.
    I'm a believer in good dog food. Particularly when a dog is working hard.
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY GUN
    --
    04 Aug 2009 12:39 PM
    That's how the Black Gold is for me. Hey G.O.D what you chasin with the hounds?
    Life's Short Play Hard
    grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    04 Aug 2009 12:50 PM

I get out a couple times a winter after cougar. It was a passion when I was a bit younger/dumber..

I'm either gonna have to change my handle, or ask you to stop calling me GOD, though..haaa

I keep expecting a bolt of lightning...

--
    04 Aug 2009 01:00 PM
    Used to do it when it when it was legal here in Oregon ran bears and Loins. Ya it could happen the lightning bolt that is.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    04 Aug 2009 01:02 PM

--
    04 Aug 2009 01:24 PM
    Ya once or twice a year. You don't get good cat dogs from once or twice a year. Good pictures almost gets my wanting hounds again.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    04 Aug 2009 01:55 PM
    Nice Pictures, G.O.D. I always for get the darn camera.......Bob
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    05 Aug 2009 05:26 AM
    Crimony, that seems like a huge cat! I can't say as I've seen one outside of a zoo so I may be wrong. I do know that you're nuts for hunting those things.

As far as feed, I give my dog EVO. A little pricey, but I don't have to feed as much.
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    --
    05 Aug 2009 05:51 AM
    Posted By Hillbilly on 04 Aug 2009 02:24 PM
    Ya once or twice a year. You don't get good cat dogs from once or twice a year. Good pictures almost gets my wanting hounds again.
    .. I never said they were "good"..   I agree whole heartedly.  In comparison to the dogs when we ran a lot, these are 'shooters'   I just keep 'em around to eat that hi' dolla' dog food and pester the neighborhood with their mouths..
    "Almost" again.. hee hee  I do miss running spring bear in tennis shoes 'n T-shirt too.

dogpowerUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:60 dogpower
    --
    07 Aug 2009 02:44 PM

<!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 unctuationKerning/> false false false ontGrowAutofit/> MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.4in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> <!--[if gte mso 10]>

We’ve been feeding Diamond Premium for over 20 years. We use to combine our buying with a couple other people feeding several dogs. We got it shipped directly to us from a warehouse in Chicago for about $5 a bag less than we could buy it locally. Unfortunately the folks we shared the buying with scaled back on the number of dogs they had and we couldn’t meet the minimum delivery to keep getting that price.

My wife seems to know what all the ingredients are good for, right down to the enzymes and ratios. I’ve suggested other dog foods over the years – looked hard at Black Gold, but she compared the labels each time and had a good reason for staying with Diamond. I learned a long time ago not to argue with someone smarter than me.

G.O.D. – nice cats. It must be a lot of fun hunting them. I hope you’re good at dodging the lightning bolts when you are out there.

dogpower

--
    08 Aug 2009 06:40 AM
    I'm actually getting it at an excellent price, I believe. ($21.50 p/ 50#) ... A fellow hunter and truck driver, happens to have a run where he is coming back this direction w/ an empty trailer. He's been picking up a half dozen pallets at a time, and bringing them back.
    Ten years ago, I was giving $28 for it, out of the feed store.
    BuckeyeUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:31 Buckeye
    --
    11 Aug 2009 03:29 PM
    I feed mine Orijen, it's a pricey one, very high protein with the added bonus of very stinky farts. I also don't have to feed her as much.
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    12 Aug 2009 05:58 PM
    Buckeye, I've done a lot of reading/researching on dog feed and I'm not sure I've ever heard of this one. Ya got a link?
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com