Pheasants Forever
Top Banner
Register   Login

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Best Dog For Grouse Hunting
Last Post 21 Aug 2009 07:38 AM by Hillbilly. 28 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Foremost MediaUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:97 Foremost Media
--
10 Aug 2009 12:13 PM
    What Kind Of Dog Is Best At Grouse Hunting?
    GSP (3)
     30%
    Brittany (3)
     30%
    English Setter (2)
     20%
    Gordon Setter (0)
     0%
    Griffon (0)
     0%
    Wiemaraner (1)
     10%
    Vizisla (0)
     0%
    Springer (0)
     0%
    Boykin (0)
     0%
    Cocker Spaniel (0)
     0%
    Lab (1)
     10%
    Golden (0)
     0%
    Chesapeake (0)
     0%

What do you think is the best dog to use for grouse hunting.  Answer our poll question and then see Pro Dog Trainer Ed Hall's take on the best dogs for grouse hunting.

HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    10 Aug 2009 12:52 PM
    Puttin me on the spot Gamebirdhunts.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    10 Aug 2009 01:00 PM
    I voted Brittany, My Brit, when you get into the woods works fairly close. I usually get a least one shot before a tree is blocking my shot......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    11 Aug 2009 06:21 AM
    You missed one: all of the above. I have my opinions on this one, but they are based on my own likes and desires not on anything analytical.
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    WestforkUser is Offline Send Private Message Posts:50 Westfork
    --
    11 Aug 2009 09:30 AM

There is no poll spot for the English Cocker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What Gives??????????  They are not Cocker Spaniels, in fact they are an ancestor of the Cocker Spaniel.  Holly is mortified to say the least.

joycebUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:1 joyceb
    --
    13 Aug 2009 05:41 PM

Neither I nor my husband have had the opportunity to hunt grouse (pheasant & quail 'round here) - but my father swore by his Wiemars. Had I a second choice I'd pick Brittanys - my stepfather's best gun dog.

JoyceB
    http://joycebrandon.wordpress.com
    http://www.joycebrandon.com

BertUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:51 Bert
    --
    17 Aug 2009 10:50 AM

Nothing finer than a Lab pointing a Grouse on a log.  80+ pounds of lean huntin machine. (with remote control)

Plus a Lab sounds llike a TANK coming thru the woods, no beeper collar needed to know where he's at.

Bert

NRA Life Member, NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor, NRA Cert. RSO, Class III RSO/KCR
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    17 Aug 2009 11:43 AM
    I've hunted Grouse both blues and ruffs with about 8 different breeds and they all work. But I do have a handful of go to dogs for grouse 2 are Griffons 6 are GSP's, and 2 old labs but I have some up and comers to in my kennel.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BertUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:51 Bert
    --
    17 Aug 2009 01:33 PM

Hillbilly, I read between the lines in your reply and see that you are leaning toward Labs also.  

NRA Life Member, NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor, NRA Cert. RSO, Class III RSO/KCR
    --
    17 Aug 2009 08:06 PM
    Nope I got pointing dogs that out produce my labs but I'm not breed prejudiced. If I'm just hunting jump spots I use labs if I'm hunting long big creek bottoms I run medium range gsp's but for thick creek bottoms I hunt close working Griffons or close working gsp's. I just got into ep's and going to run them a bunch on grouse this year. Some of the places I hunt grouse, quail, chukar, and huns all at the same time. But if you were to only be able to have 1 dog to just hunt here and there you can't beat a lab or good gsp. There good in the house awesome with kids and who cares how good the dog is on just 1 kind of birds it's all about having fun.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    WestforkUser is Offline Send Private Message Posts:50 Westfork
    --
    18 Aug 2009 05:09 AM
    I watched a man with an English Cocker last fall in the UP. The dog was amazing on the Grouse and hunted very close in the mostly thick cover. That is why I came back and found one to purchase. Time will tell but having worked her on Quail this spring I think she has the potential to be a great dog. I have had a few Labs and many GSP in the past. This is the first try at a flushing dog and so far I am having a great t ime with her. They are great house dogs as all the GSPs were.
    --
    18 Aug 2009 05:22 AM

I was kidding Hillbilly.

--
    18 Aug 2009 11:07 AM
    Good well mannered flushing dogs that you don't have to hollar at are awesome because you can just follow them around and shoot birds were with a pointing dog the dogs got to hold them down. No pun intended Bert.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    llewellinUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:102 llewellin
    --
    18 Aug 2009 05:46 PM
    honestly i think it takes a special dog to be a good grouse dog. atleast form all the research on the topic i have done that seems to be the consensus among all the writers of all the books and articles i have read, with one exception.

ofcourse i am voting for setters, but only due to personal preference not because of skills or anything.

good breeding goes a long way. i think it takes one hell of a dog to be a great grouse dog and i dont believe any breed is really better at it just certain dogs are grouse dogs.

i read a quote i think it was by burton l spiller but could be wrong and it went something like... almost any dog can be a good woocock dog but it takes a special dog to be a grouse dog... there one in a million or something like that.
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    18 Aug 2009 07:56 PM
    Hi Llew welcome back, very happy to see you....Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    --
    18 Aug 2009 10:38 PM
    Llew the lab hater is back. Well said Llew. I've read alot on grouse hunting and the dogs they used even George Bird Evans who bred Old Hemlock Setters for grouse had dogs that never made it to to be great grouse dogs. Some EP guy like Elhew dogs with alot of Magoo in them for grouse. I have a Griffon that is flat out awesome on grouse but had 5 others that were medeocer at best on them. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and life is to short to worry about small thing.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    19 Aug 2009 01:37 PM
    Posted By Hillbilly on 18 Aug 2009 12:07 PM
    Good well mannered flushing dogs that you don't have to hollar at are awesome because you can just follow them around and shoot birds were with a pointing dog the dogs got to hold them down. No pun intended Bert.

I have one of those dogs. Most people that I hunt with will ask at the end of the hunt "What is your dogs name" I only use commands and the whistle. I hate to hunt next to groups that I end up knowing their dogs name in two hours.

I've stood behind my dog and watched him point at a Grouse until the bird finally spooks from me or others walking up. If pheasants hold tight it will work the same way.

--
    19 Aug 2009 03:00 PM
    Ya buddy. I used to hunt with a guy (and I still do sometimes) that can't hunt grouse to save his soul but if your 2 miles away you now what dog he's hunting by name and how high the collar will turn up. I talk to my dogs just like their a person calmly and they hunt just fine. That's how I train to if I have to yell at a dog to get it to listen or train it till I'm blue in the face then we don't see eye to eye and they go away. Same with hunting if we can't hunt together then it's not going to work. Bert do you got any close up pics of that dog he looks like a mans dog.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    19 Aug 2009 03:18 PM

The best dog for grouse hunting is the one I'm with.  

I hate going into the thick stuff and I'm not very good at it either.  

Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    llewellinUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:102 llewellin
    --
    19 Aug 2009 04:43 PM
    Posted By Bob on 18 Aug 2009 08:56 PM
    Hi Llew welcome back, very happy to see you....Bob

why thank you bob glad to be back and talking to you guys, even those lab guys edhall and Dogpower. ahaha

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com