Pheasants Forever
Top Banner
Register   Login

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 2

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Shrub safe herbiside
Last Post 09 Sep 2009 04:26 PM by south iowa quail hunter. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
south iowa quail hunterUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:4 south iowa quail hunter
--
10 Aug 2009 11:09 PM

Hello I have planted 650 shrubs last fall, and another 650 this spring.

There was hay in this area before we tilled it up and planted these trees.

The problem id this hay, grass putting to much competition on these shrubs.

The shrubs are not dead and very healthy but very small still.

I want to know which herbiside to use that will kill this grass and not kill these shrubs.

Any help would be of great help.

Thank you Donald.

PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    11 Aug 2009 05:26 AM

Donald, welcome to the forum.  How much space have you got in between the trees/shrubs.  The reason I ask is to find out if mowing would be an option.  I know some of the people who own landscape companies around here and they mow in between their trees to help them.  How about a prescribed burn?  It might be a little over the top, but it all depends on what you are trying to do with the land.

Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    south iowa quail hunterUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:4 south iowa quail hunter
    --
    12 Aug 2009 03:55 AM

this is my fathers farm, and the wife and I are planing on building a house inside half of a 65 by 56 foot morton building and retireing there. I am trying to get the habitat ideal for quail for quality hunting right out the front door.
    The farm has been in the family for 15 years and has always had a covey on our little 28 acres.
    The land adjacent to ours is all row crop.
    This allows me to focus on covey headquarters, food plots, and nesting ground. With 10 acres of alfalfa, I have been focusing on covey headquarters.
    The shrubs are 3 to 4 feet apart, staggered, probably not going to be able to mow it.
    I am going to plant another 1000 shrubs in the spring, so I am going to spray some herbiside on this area, right after mowing, then till in late fall to prepare better for next springs plant. I know I can spray this area after the trees go dormant, I was just hoping there was something I could use to get me started now.
    Thanks again for any help.
    Donald.

LuciaLabUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:30 LuciaLab
    --
    12 Aug 2009 05:17 PM
    South Iowa Quil Hunter,
    I will take this question and run with it, since this is what my parents spent a lot of money on sending me to a big ten school to get an eduacation in Turf management. I have some questions for you before I can give you some advice on what to use. First question is: Is it just grassy weeds that you are trying to kill or are there some broad leaf weeds also? How much area will you need to spray? The biggest question is how much money are you willing to invest to solve the problem? There are a couple of products on the market that target grassy weeds and not broasdleaf weeds, but they only get certain grassy weeds. The best thing I would try right now would to go buy some Round Up and spray the weeds that you want to kill and also mix in a pre-emergiant herbicide to keep the weeds from coming back. Send me an email and we can talk further.
    Scott
    --
    12 Aug 2009 06:16 PM
    I will be going down there this week, I will take some pic of the area I am working on. I put 2 rows 4 feet apart with trees 4 feet apart for 950 feet on the edge of a hay field. plus 3 rows with the same 4 feet between rows and between trees on the other end the field of hay. we tilled the hay field edge in the fall several timen, then planted the trees, this is mostly hay competing with my trees. I know that the home range should be 30 feet or more but this is all I could get my father to part with at this point, and 10 and 15 feet of shrubs at fields edge is better than the bare nothing we had as quail would fly right over this area when we bust coveys.
    The other area is some unused tall grass, above the pond, we dident even till here just dug holes in spring and planted trees 4 by 4 staggered of course.
    This area is 30 foot by 175 feet of shrubs, a nice covey headquarters I think.
    I bought a 10 gallon sprayer and have everything I need except the knowledge you have.
    I can spend money as I have a good job, but would like to keep the cost down if possible. I will send you pics when I get back so you can see what weeds I am having trouble with.
    Thank you Scott.
    Donald.
    LuciaLabUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:30 LuciaLab
    --
    12 Aug 2009 06:21 PM
    Donald,
    I look forward to seeing the pictures and hopfully we can get the situation under control.
    Talk to you Later,
    Scott
    --
    09 Sep 2009 04:26 PM

Hello, I have finaly got a chance to get some pics. I also took pics of the pond, as we are hoping to control the alge if possible. These are pics of various areas that have revieved shrub plantings or will in the spring.

Any recomendations will be appreciated.

What can I spray over existing shrubs to kill vegitation this fall, and what herbiside can I spray on these  weeds and grasses to prepare for next years plantings?

Thanks again if the pics don't post I can send them to you.

Donald.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com