Get Free Shipping on Dog Supplies and Upland Hunting Gear
Top Banner
Pheasants Forever
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
In the market for training/beeper collars...which one???
Last Post 20 Oct 2009 09:58 AM by Porknbeans. 27 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
cacklencrowUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:23 cacklencrow
--
11 Aug 2009 02:42 PM

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to post but I've been reading alot on this site for a few months now.  I'm 29yrs old and have been hunting all of my life but went pheasant hunting for the first time in the fall of 07'.  Of course, I am now ate up with it and I don't do much else but pace the floor waiting on November to get here.

I am now the proud owner of 2 GSP's.  I have a 7yr old female that I hunted last season.  Then I picked up a young female pup back in March.  Looking for training info for her is how I found this site and man I'm glad I did.  This has been, by far, the most helful and informative site I've seen.

Anyway, I am on the market for a two dog trainer/beeper combo.  I've done a lot of research and read a bunch of reviews on Bass Pro, Cabelas, and Gundogsupply.com, but I figured I would see what ya'll had to say before I spent the $$$.

Originally, leaning towards the G3 upland by Tritronics.  I know they are high but I figured that would probably be best quality and my uncle has a classic 70 that he likes real well.

I have also given Sportdog a hard look.  It's a little cheaper than Tritronics and seems to be a good unit.

Then I was reading about the drawback of having the beeper and reciever as two seperate items on the collar as it was heavy and moved around a good bit.  Dogtra collars have their beeper and reciever all built into one part which looks much lighter and less cumbersome for the dog.  It is also cosiderably cheaper for the Dogtra 2 dog sytem than both Sport Dog and Tritronics.

I am now leaning towards Dogtra.  All three brands seem to be very comparable with the features but the price sets them apart.  The price I can see but the quality is what I am concerned about.  Your thoughts???

BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    11 Aug 2009 02:55 PM
    I would go with the G3 TriTronics. I have that unit and it has served me well for a couple of years now. As for the beeper I would get it separate. My dog just did not like the noise and would not hunt with that thing on. It is a little harder to find him sometimes. But I'd rather have the dog in front hunting.......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    12 Aug 2009 07:07 PM
    cacklencrow, let me start by welcoming you to the site. I can't give any information on the Dogtra, but we do have a member of the forum that is a dealer and would be able to give some advice. His name is Dogpower and he stops in from time to time or you can send him an email. Regarding the other two manufacturers, I own both brands. I owned a G1 and now a G2 from TT and can highly recommend them. The G3 improves on the G2 and that says alot. The Sportdog was my collar of choice until I got the G2. I still use it around the house, but the TT has become my hunting collar. The SD is a great value and a super product. I don't think that you can go wrong with either. I would find a place where you can put your hands on both/all of them. Imagine yourself in the field and pick the one that suits your needs the best.

Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    cacklencrowUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:23 cacklencrow
    --
    13 Aug 2009 11:22 AM

Thanks for the input guys.  I do think I definitely want a train and beep collar.  My 7yr old GSP isn't bothered by the beeper at all and it sure didn't seem to bother the birds we were hunting. I wouldn't run it all the time but man it sure is nice to have when it's real windy and you just can't here or see your dog in the tall stuff.  It just gives me better peaceof mind to know I can find my dogs quick if I need to.  These new collars have remote pagers and remote on/off for the beeper which I like alot. 

I'm sure I would be satisfied with either the SD or TT train and beep combos but the Dogtra has two things that stand at...all in one beeper/trainer module so that there aren't two seperate modules on the collar, and it's considerably cheaper. 

I've read several reviews about on both the SD and TT collars but can't find much to speak of on the Dogtra so that's why I'm a little weary of it.  The only bad reviews I read on the SD and TT were mainly concerning the bulkiness of the beeper and trainer on the same collar causing the collar to move around too much causing the points not to make good contact.  Some reviews would talk about a defective reciever that had to be replaced but all in all they were good.  I just can't find any reviews good or bad on the Dogtra???  I thought the all in one feature would help with the bulkiness problem some were complaining about but I sure hate to buy anything like that unless I see some overall good reviews for the product.

I thought maybe somebody here was using the Dogtra 2502 T&B that could give me a yea or nea on it.  If not, I'll probably go with the TT or SD to be safe.  You're right, once I get my hands on them I'll be able to make up my mind.

Thanks again...great to be a member.

cacklencrow

ChadUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:2 Chad
    --
    15 Sep 2009 03:17 PM
    I have the DT System spt 2430. It has very nice features and has beeper & collar. I love the thing.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    15 Sep 2009 05:11 PM
    As long as your happy go have some fun.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    chrisUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:94 chris
    --
    15 Sep 2009 09:02 PM

Cacklen I have the spotdog with the beeper, What i like about sd beeper is that you can use it as just a locater press the button it goes off.I dont like when it beeps all the time Plus I have my dog broke on hawk call when he hears it he comes back unless he is on point .

--
    17 Sep 2009 01:15 PM

Well Guys, I do appreciate all the input but I went against my better judgement and now I've got a big problem.  I'm sure most of you have seen the ad that "Malcourt" posted on this forum about the six dog set of tritronics collars, remote, and chargers he had for sale for $600.  Well I called him on Aug 17, and got more info from him and decided I would just buy those.  I figured I was going to spend $600 or so for a 2 collar set anyway so I might as well get these then I could have some extras and maybe sell a couple for whatever and get a little money back.  He told me he wanted $600 and another $20 to ship them and we decided to use Paypal.  He sounded legit but I figured if I had a problem then paypal would have my back...boy was I wrong.

The e-check cleared on Aug 20, and he was supposed to ship the next day and give me a tracking number.  Never happened.  I've sent him numerous e-mails and tried to call a hundred times.  He responded a couple of times to say, "I've been real busy", "I'll get it done shortly", etc., but he has not had any communication with me since Aug 31.  Come to find out...Paypal only refunds money if it was "an eligible E-Bay tranaction".  They will send him to collections but they won't pay me unless he pays them so I'm on my own.

I googled his e-mail address and it showed up on several sites related to upland outfitters so I called some of them.  One gentlemen that did not know him very well but did know him gave me an address for him. 

I called the Sheriff's Department and a Deputy went by the other day to pay him a visit.  The Deputy called me and said the guy swore he would ship them tomorrow, which would have been yesterday now.  He said if I didn't get it in a few days to call back and he would file the paperwork to press charges.  I still haven't received a tracking number so I don't know if he has shipped them or not.  I guess I'll call back Monday if I don't have the collars or a tracking number by then.

I'm sick over this...I saved that money up over several months and $620 is a lot of money to me.  I can't just cough up more money and buy some more collars somewhere else...if I did I wouldn't have the money to go on my hunting trip this year.  I really wanted to be collar breaking my pup by now.  I live in Louisiana so I have to go a long ways to get into bird country. 

I just can't believe this.  I  hope nobody else was as stupid as I was to send this guy money for those collars.

CNC

BigMattUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:42 BigMatt
    --
    17 Sep 2009 03:45 PM
    Wow, sorry to hear about this. I was going to mention that same post on the forums to my dad who has 6 GSP's. I guess I'm glad that I didn't. I hope it all works out!!! Good luck.
    BigMattUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:42 BigMatt
    --
    17 Sep 2009 03:49 PM
    OT: I just posted that last post at 2:45 PM local time and it shows that it was posted at 9:45 PM......Something is off.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    17 Sep 2009 04:28 PM
    Tri-Tronic's does not make a upland special in a 6 dog unit only 3. If you need a collar for a good price call the collar clinic and get a reconditioned 1 or 2 for a good price. If I was closer I would give you a smokin deal threw me but I don't I hope it all works out.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    chrisUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:94 chris
    --
    17 Sep 2009 04:57 PM
    Crackle, Sorry to here that use the law in your favor.I hope you get your collars or nail him six bills is a lot of wood.
    --
    17 Sep 2009 06:48 PM
    $600 dollars is alot of money with this economy. But that crap he's pulling is wrong I'd be calling the cops again if you didn't here anything in a few days.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    20 Sep 2009 05:09 AM
    Crackle,Any update did you get the collars,or did you get the law after him if any updte us please let us know.I hope all
    turns out well for you.
    --
    20 Sep 2009 04:32 PM

I haven't heard anything since the deputy called me last Tuesday.  The deputy said the guy promised to ship them Wednesday and I figure it would take till this coming Tuesday to get here.  I never got a tracking number but I figured I'd wait till Tuesday and call the deputy back.  I doubt very seriously he shipped them.  I'll let ya'll know what happens...

--
    20 Sep 2009 06:20 PM
    Good luck
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    21 Sep 2009 06:24 PM
    I hope you either get your gear, or your money back. This is why I never sell or buy anything on the internet........Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    LuciaLabUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:30 LuciaLab
    --
    21 Sep 2009 08:51 PM
    Bob, but I have the best deal on a new gun, some ammo, and a new hunting vest for cheap
    --
    21 Sep 2009 09:49 PM
    I wrote that wrong, If you are dealing with a good dealer like examples; Cabela's for the vest, CDNN for the gun. Able Ammo for the ammo. Then yes do it. But this private party stuff is asking for trouble......Bob
    --
    21 Sep 2009 10:57 PM
    Ya I got a collar off ebay once and only once when I finally got a hold of the guy he played stupid. Needless to say I won't do that again. I sell collars now so if you guys have any question feel free to ask. That set wasn't even real they don't make a upland special that expands to 6 collars. I hope the guy that sold it stays off this forum we don't need guys like that on here stealing is stealing no matter how you look at it.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com