Get Free Shipping on Dog Supplies and Upland Hunting Gear
Top Banner
Pheasants Forever
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 2

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
.410 for pheasants
Last Post 16 Aug 2009 07:02 PM by shane. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
turboUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:13 turbo
--
13 Aug 2009 10:09 PM

Hey has anyone tried hunting pheasants with a .410.I hunt over a flusher so I think it could be a little difficult,even though he does hunt close.I would like to hear(read) some of your experiences with a .410

Thanks  

Huntig birds without a good dog is not worth going out
    dogpowerUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:60 dogpower
    --
    14 Aug 2009 06:15 AM

I've seen this discussion somewhere before and I think the general consensus was that a 410 is not likely to deliver the clean, fast kill that should be the goal of good hunters.

BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    14 Aug 2009 01:11 PM

I know guys that do well with the 410. I myself would never use one, I stop at the 28 gauge. It is a gun that requires you know how to shoot 5/8 ounce of shot. No room for letting a big pattern cripple a bird with it.....Bob

My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    Capt. HookUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:19 Capt. Hook
    --
    14 Aug 2009 02:14 PM
    I have seen guys use the .410 and do great but, as Bob said you have to be agood shot! I have a Fox SXS and I love it for quail and squirell. But, the guy that uses it for everyhting told me that the .410 is basically a sharp shooters gun. It's just my .02, so let me know what the rest of you think.
    "His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. He has promised to wait for me..whenever... wherever — in case I need him. And I expect I will — as I always have. He is just my dog." Gene Hill
    shaneUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:15 shane
    --
    14 Aug 2009 09:47 PM

I shoot a lot and really enjoy shooting the .410 but I don't consider it a pheasant gun.  I try my best to make clean kills on any game I shoot and I don't feel like I could do that with the little gun.

grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    15 Aug 2009 04:12 PM
    hmmmmm.. "Is a 30-30 an elk rifle?"..
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY GUN
    BrowndogUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:35 Browndog
    --
    16 Aug 2009 08:08 AM
    Not a practical choice - seems to be the popular opinion. I agree .
    shaneUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:15 shane
    --
    16 Aug 2009 07:02 PM

Yeah, I'd never shoot a water buffalo with a .22.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com