Get Free Shipping on Dog Supplies and Upland Hunting Gear
Top Banner
Pheasants Forever
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 2

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Please help droping on point!!!!!
Last Post 05 Oct 2009 02:46 PM by Bob. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
BrianUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:15 Brian
--
21 Aug 2009 09:51 PM

Hello well I have been training my German Shorthair pointer for the past year now, sense he was a pup. He is trained with yard work, and I have been training him with planted pigeons for the past few months. He has a great nose, and finds and hold point to the birds. Gus is also trained to be steady to wing and shot. But he is beinging to drop on point a little! I have tryed to ease him when I walk up to him while he is on point, and walk so he can see me coming. Its like he is afraid of the flush, but he loves runing after the birds, hunting for them, and retreving them back live, or dead. Im asking all you smart people out there. If there is any way for me to help my dog along, so that he is not afraid of the flush. Also he is still a young dog, he just turned a year this June. Please any help would be great.    Thanks again

-Brian

BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    21 Aug 2009 11:53 PM
    When he drops stand him back up and keep doing it until he learns dropping is not permitted. I don't know your commands but you should say steady or something like that......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    22 Aug 2009 09:47 AM
    Bob's right. But also try moving your training to a new place and maybe even change to pen raised birds like quail or chukar. You could also try running him on wild birds that might pep him up. He's probable lying down do to to much pressure.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BrianUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:15 Brian
    --
    22 Aug 2009 07:32 PM

I have placed him back on all fours, and the comand I give is whoa to keep him in place. I will try a new place to train for a while, and next month I think Im going to take him to a pheasent pay to hunt operation they opean in September. Hopefully that will peep him up. If anyone else who reads this please write someting for me. Thanks again.

-Brian

HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    23 Aug 2009 11:01 AM
    Setting him back is most likely why he's laying down. Or it could be the command. I seen it happen alot try not setting him back or using the command just walk in and flush the bird maybe even let him just chase a bird or 2 to bring back his confidence. Talk him up when doing it. I know of 3 dogs that ruined of steady to wing and shot because they didn't handle the preasure. I'm not saying this is the cause but these things will help.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    23 Aug 2009 05:41 PM

Ok Ill let him have a run at the birds without commands for a while, but how long do you think. I dont want him to think that its ok to run up birds, or flush them. Should I flush the birds while hes on point? Again thanks for all the help guys.

-Brian

--
    23 Aug 2009 07:31 PM
    Ya flush the bird while he's on point but just make it more fun a couple time and not so much like training. even if he lays down just don't act like it's a big deal and kick the bird up. Dogs can read you and tell that your flusterated if you act like nothings wrong he'll pep right up some where he hit a road block and it's not a big deal.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    lvrgspUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:3 lvrgsp
    --
    31 Aug 2009 07:54 AM

Brian,

A couple of questions for ya....how old is the dog, and what are you doing as far as steadying him up, are you just using a whoa command, an e-collar? Kind of hard to diagnose over the net, but some more info would be great.....sounds to me like a little to much pressure during the steadying process.....does he drop as you approach to flush the bird after establishing point. or does he point then drop right away?

Lvrgsp

--
    04 Oct 2009 07:31 PM

I tell him the Whoa command, and yes when I walked up he would be fine, but when I kicked at the grass he was start to sink. I have kinda let him have his way now he will point, but im not talking alot to him, and not pressuring him to whoa as much just here and their. We went to a pay to hunt place today, and he held point just great. Yes the pressure I think was the problem, so with less pressure and more fun = success. Thanks for all the help everyone im sure ill be back to rack you brains again.

Thanks again

-Brian

--
    04 Oct 2009 10:46 PM
    Glade to hear that he's getting better.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    05 Oct 2009 02:46 PM
    We learn something new everyday. Thank you for the feed-back. I hope things continue to get better for you and the dog......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com