New Puppy? Check Out the Kennel and Cover Package Deal
Pheasants Forever
Top Banner
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Dove Hunting
Last Post 12 Sep 2009 07:25 PM by chris. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Informative
WestforkUser is Offline Send Private Message Posts:50 Westfork
--
22 Aug 2009 07:19 AM

How are the Dove populations?   Here in SE Indiana we must have had a near perfect summer for them.  We have gobs.  Of course the first cool snap will send them to Kentucky.

HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    22 Aug 2009 10:44 AM
    There's a couple around here but not a lot.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    jballardUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:40 jballard
    --
    22 Aug 2009 11:36 AM
    We planted sunflowers in our garden this year and the doves seem to be thick here in WI
    BuckeyeUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:31 Buckeye
    --
    25 Aug 2009 12:59 AM
    anyone hunt doves in Washington? I have a buddy at work who is dying to go, but neither of us have any real experience at it.
    grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    25 Aug 2009 04:14 PM
    I'm seeing a fair population here in Co this week..
    They'll be gone by next week.. hee hee
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY GUN
    --
    25 Aug 2009 06:10 PM

My only hope is that they had a good hatch in Michigan

grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    31 Aug 2009 08:05 AM

I've been seeing a few groups of "Band Tailed" pigeons moving through, this week. ..

....tick....tick....tick... only 'hours' away now!

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY GUN
    chrisUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:94 chris
    --
    12 Sep 2009 07:39 AM
    I have a dumb question i have never been dove hunting but going to florida on atripp .can you use a dog will the birds hold for a pointer
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    12 Sep 2009 01:46 PM
    The way I have always hunted doves is have field, they fly into to feed or roost. Set up a natural blind and then shoot them as they fly by. It is like Duck hunting is a way to put it. There might be other ways so lets see what the others have to say.......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    --
    12 Sep 2009 05:37 PM

the only use for the dog is to retreive.  They do not sit around waiting on anything for you that is for sure.  Like was said find the food or the roost.  If the weather has been dry look for dead snags near water and gravel in the evenings and you will find them.  If your dog has not retreived them before you may find that he will shy away from bringing them in.  The Doves feathers are so loosely attached they come out easily and coat the dog's mouth with feathers.  Some dogs do not like the feeling and do not do well  others do not seem  to mind.

chrisUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:94 chris
    --
    12 Sep 2009 07:25 PM
    Thanks for the info guys.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com