Top Banner
Pheasants Forever
Register   Login

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
2009 Pheasant Stocking
Last Post 23 Oct 2013 03:15 PM by ilya. 15 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Rem870 DaveUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:63 Rem870 Dave
--
02 Sep 2009 04:50 AM

Hey guys, I just read on the PGC web site that they will only be stocking 106,142  pheasants this season.  If you don't hunt on a preserve then, best of luck to you trying to get one of those stocked birds they will be far and few between!  I will be out there fighting for the couple birds in my area but I am not expecting a productive pheasant season. 

Dave

ZedUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:24 Zed
    --
    06 Sep 2009 08:50 PM
    Dave,

Where do you live in PA?

I am new to hunting and really excited to start. Unfortunately once I buy a nice shotgun and get excited about this game season, I lose my chance to have lots of land to hunt on, and any kind of guide. It's not a long story but it's a sob story you probably don't want to hear.

Anyway, I want to do something this season. Where do you recommend I start? I looked up Kimble Hunting Farm in my area but I've yet to call them. Will I need a dog? What advice can you give me?

Thanks in advance,

Zed
    Rem870 DaveUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:63 Rem870 Dave
    --
    08 Sep 2009 04:53 AM
    Zed,

I live in the northeast corner of the state, Milford, PA area. Where are you at? I looked up Kimble Hunting Farm and saw that it is near Harrisburg, PA, I am assuming that you live somewhere down there.
    If you don't hunt on a game preserve then I would start by going to the PA Game Commission web site and look up where they stock pheasants in your area and plan on hunting there. Just know that you will not be the only one there so I would walk it first to get a good idea of where the good pheasant cover is. As far as a dog, I have never hunted pheasants without a dog but I know people do it. You have A LOT better chance of seeing birds if you hunted with a dog! Do you have a trained dog or no? If you don't have a dog or get a dog in time then you will need to do a lot of walking and kicking bushes.

Dave
    --
    09 Sep 2009 05:37 PM

As far as the dog part goes... That's part of the sob story. My ex fiance's dad is a huge waterfowl hunter and got me addicted. He has two highly trained Boykin Spaniels (One is shown in my pic). I think he would still let me use one of them as it wasn't my idea to end the engagement a month and a half before the wedding.

But yeah I live in Enola, very close to Harrisburg. There is a really nice public shooting range here that I really enjoy going to.

I've only been duck and goose hunting so I am really a noob when it comes to small game hunting. What shot will I need? I bought two value packs from wal mart for clay pigeons and shot through many of them. I'll tell you what I have, can you tell me if it works or I should buy anything else?

I have a box of PMC Quail & Dove 1 oz 6 shot
    I have 100 Winchester "Universal" 1 1/8 oz. 6 shot.

Thanks for your help

--
    10 Sep 2009 08:01 AM
    Zed,

I usually use, high brass, Remington 2 3/4" shells, loaded with 7 shot for grouse and 5 shot for pheasants and rabbits. But it all depends on what kind of gun you shoot and what kind of pattern it has. When I pheasant hunt I usually use my Rem 870 express 20 gauge with a full choke so the 5 shot work great for my set-up. 6 shot would do the job though, I like the extra knock down power of the 5 shot.

Good Luck
    Dave
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    11 Sep 2009 06:44 AM
    Be glad with that number boys. It is about 2 1/2 times what we get here in Wisconsin.
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    --
    16 Sep 2009 11:59 AM
    Thanks Dave.

Pheasant season isn't for a few weeks.... What should I shoot til then?
    --
    28 Sep 2009 05:28 AM
    Pork,

So I am guessing that you bird hunt on a pheasant preserve or hunting club?

Dave
    --
    28 Sep 2009 05:35 AM
    Zed,

I would shoot some skeet, a couple times before the season started. Make sure you work on the going straight away shoots and the going away left/right shoots, because if you are kicking bushes without a dog I think that is the shoots you will get out in the field.

I am so pumped about bow season starting next week I haven't even thought about pheasant season this year.

Good Luck

Dave
    --
    30 Sep 2009 04:07 PM
    Ah I haven't found that joy yet! My coworker is really excited to use his bow that he's been bragging about since last November. I'll have to see if he can get me in to it.
    --
    19 Oct 2009 02:45 PM
    5 more days guys!

I'm heading out while the weather is nice to go walk the fields. They stock the birds at a couple places in my area. I'm going to the closest one tonight then the further one tomorrow. Can't wait!
    --
    27 Oct 2009 05:07 AM
    Zed,

How did you do? I went out with my old man and we got really wet! It was tough hunting but we managed to get one bird down, and only saw one other bird that was too far for a shot. Hope you had better luck!

Dave
    --
    08 Nov 2009 04:19 PM
    Sorry I didn't respond sooner, for some reason I couldn't log into the forums for a while!

As I said in the other thread my buddy and I saw one and I told him to take the shot. He had his gun on safety... and so neither of us shot. Heard a few shots that day but probably only a dozen. Too bad we only have a few more weeks.
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    09 Nov 2009 08:06 AM
    Dave, sorry for the delay in getting back. I do a good deal of hunting at game farms. I also get out to public land but it is more for exercise and a chance to get away for awhile. I also like to get over to Iowa a couple of times a year to remind me why I enjoy pheasant hunting so much.

Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    --
    16 Jul 2010 08:20 AM
    Just saw the numbers for 2010 stocking in PA, this is getting bad, they are only putting out 15,000 birds statewide. Oh well I guess I wont be doing any pheasant hunting in PA anymore!
    ilyaUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:1 ilya
    --
    23 Oct 2013 03:15 PM

Hi Zed:

Perhaps you can help me.  I live in Milford PA as well.  I want to try bird hunting, but have no idea how to get into this hobby.  Would you recommend any resources that can help me - a local club? private lessons?  meeting groups?  

I never hunted before and have no clue on how to start.  Can you help me?

Would be very grateful for an advice from you or anyone else

Ilya

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com