Get Free Shipping on Dog Supplies and Upland Hunting Gear
Pheasants Forever
Top Banner
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 2

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Are you in shape for the season?
Last Post 28 Oct 2009 08:17 AM by Porknbeans. 23 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Foremost MediaUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:97 Foremost Media
--
02 Sep 2009 10:37 AM

There is a lot of talk about getting your dog in shape for the season but check out this great article by Bob about getting yourself in shape for the upcoming hunting season: 

http://www.gamebirdhunts.com/Resour...fault.aspx

PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    10 Sep 2009 07:26 AM

Great article

Unfortunately, using me and conditioning in the same sentence makes about as much sense as using military intelligence and government efficiency together. 

Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    10 Sep 2009 08:13 AM
    Ya No. If cold beer is good for you and drinking it is a work out then I'm in good shape. I work out on a stair master every morning but I don't think it does me any good. I do have a shape ROUND.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    10 Sep 2009 08:16 AM
    ^^Nice! I'll second that shape response. ^^
    chrisUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:94 chris
    --
    12 Sep 2009 07:11 AM
    I became a cop just for the donuts.It funny I look like a donut go figure.I also do that cold beer workout i got to work off them donuts
    shaneUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:15 shane
    --
    12 Sep 2009 11:31 AM

Well I do walk 2 miles 4 days a week but it's usually to counter act the strawberry cheesecake.  Does thinking about working out count?  If so then heck yeah I'm ready.

BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    12 Sep 2009 01:53 PM

Reading the replies here makes me feel and sound like a "health nut". I walk about 2-3 miles Daily, with Tony. Every evening at 9:00 I go in and do a exercise regiment that lasts and 20-30 minutes. That keeps my back, arms and legs in shape. If I take a few days of rest. I feel so lousy in general, I'm back in working out to get that good feeling back again.....Bob

My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    12 Sep 2009 04:20 PM
    Yep Bob your the health nut in the bunch. I like the saying my old man told me poor people have poor ways but he died at 72. I walk alot training and hunting a few miles a day but it ain't enough to keep all the weight off. I guess if I stopped eating 1lb beef steaks and potatoes every night and stopped drinking beer I'd lose weight but it ain't going to happen.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    chrisUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:94 chris
    --
    12 Sep 2009 07:23 PM
    hillbilly you hit the nail right on the head plus i have to much invested in my belly.
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    12 Sep 2009 09:59 PM
    Several years ago, I weighed 214, I'm 5'10 inches. I had heart pains and a constant back ache. I went to the Doc.and he did some tests and Type II Diabetes showed up. My diabetic Nurse, gave me a 20 carbohydrates a day diet. In about 18 months I lost 47 pounds and stopped 167, I have been around there for about 5 years now. But no heart pain, no back aches. My blood sugar is near normal now and I feel good. Knowing what the alternative is, is all the incentive I need to do my exercises and stay on my diet......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    --
    13 Sep 2009 10:55 AM
    That's pretty cool. I'm glade it is working my blood sugar isn't good but I got to get off my lazy but and do something about it. To many things going on in life right now for me though.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    13 Sep 2009 05:12 PM
    I'm actually having to face the same reality. I need to lose about 50 pounds to get my health back under control. I want to be around to walk my daughter down the aisle.
    --
    13 Sep 2009 05:21 PM
    Pork, Walking your daughter down the Isle is something you will cherish your whole life. I did it with both of my daughters and it was greaaat......Bob
    llewellinUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:102 llewellin
    --
    13 Sep 2009 07:02 PM
    i run 10 miles or more a day for cross country and train in brazillian jiu-jitsu and i box 3 or more days a week for 3 hours a day sometimes more. i also workout twice a day (weights, plyometrics, body weight excercises) so id say i am in gud shape for the season.

my dog runs continuously for about an hour to 2 hours a day so i would say she is in pretty gud shape. and thats in the woods quartering back and forth through thick brush. she usually comes home sleeps for an hour or 3 and then chases doves around in the backyard all day
    --
    14 Sep 2009 01:54 PM

Good for you Llew, keep up those Sports Related Training workouts and remember those stretches and such. They work well all life long. Most of my daily workout is a series of stretches and just a few muscle maintainers.......Bob

llewellinUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:102 llewellin
    --
    14 Sep 2009 05:07 PM
    thats all you really need bob, the stretching and maintaining your peak physical fitness level.

i typically set monthly or bi weekly fitness goals so i can gauge my progess. like for example a few weeks ago a goal of mine was to do 100 pull ups continuously. which i met. one week it was 50 deadlifts with my weight, the goals help but i only try to accomplish them on my "off days" where i am not working out as hard. i usually have 2 off days a week where i only run or only lift, or only do plyometrics, plus the fitness goals.
    --
    14 Sep 2009 05:55 PM
    Good for you Llew, as least you know the importance of doing something to keep your Physical fitness. Keep it it up.....Bob
    brian88User is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:4 brian88
    --
    30 Sep 2009 11:16 AM

yeah, it is silly to assume we will get into shape. i rely solely on the adrenaline to get me through

Binocular Harness
    shorthair-on-pointUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:1 shorthair-on-point
    --
    30 Sep 2009 05:07 PM
    I am not as in shape as I would like. I am in better shape than most hunters I see however.
    NealUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:5 Neal
    --
    01 Oct 2009 03:02 PM

Just shy of 50 My excercise and preparation includes biking a couple times a week

spring Turkey season (up and down some pretty serious columbia gorge terrain)

camping in the summer with plenty of hiking

Then the real workout starts in sept. chasing Elk all over the east cascades usually for 8 to ten hours a day for a couple of weeks then a little deer and grouse hunting to kill some time till end of sept

Then its break time for me and workout time for my dogs until season opens

not a very diciplined regiment but it works for me

SEE YA IN THE FIELDS

Neal

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com