Top Banner
Pheasants Forever
Register   Login

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 2

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Flushers or Pointers
Last Post 09 Sep 2009 04:03 PM by LuciaLab. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
turboUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:13 turbo
--
05 Sep 2009 09:03 PM

OK lets have a little debate on this.Which is better/used more for pheasant hunting and WHY.Now lets be polite---you know our dogs are part of our family,and no hard feelings

Huntig birds without a good dog is not worth going out
    grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    06 Sep 2009 06:33 AM
    Pointers are a thing of beauty locked on a bird, but "I" prefer the 'not knowing'.. the 'anticipation' of the flush.
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY GUN
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    06 Sep 2009 11:10 AM
    There are many days, I don't get a shot at a bird. But to me the hunt was not a waste at all. Just getting out and watching Tony work and try his best to find something that just isn't there. Is really a treat and a marvel for me to watch. I have hunted behind flushers and that tingle just is not there with them. That is why I think pointing style dogs are a "Class Act"........Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    WestforkUser is Offline Send Private Message Posts:50 Westfork
    --
    06 Sep 2009 01:31 PM

Just starting with my first experience with a flusher.  So far working her on Quail I really like it.  The excitement is in watching her get more excited as she gets birdy.  She hups to the whistle and holds if Im a little too far away and then when she is released it is awesome to watch.  I am very anxious to get her on Pheasants and Grouse.  Just three more weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    07 Sep 2009 07:45 AM
    Posted By Bob on 06 Sep 2009 12:10 PM
    There are many days, I don't get a shot at a bird. But to me the hunt was not a waste at all. Just getting out and watching Tony work and try his best to find something that just isn't there. Is really a treat and a marvel for me to watch. I have hunted behind flushers and that tingle just is not there with them. That is why I think pointing style dogs are a "Class Act"........Bob

OUCH!...   So what ya' sayin' Bob?.. my lab has "no class"?? hee hee As  said, a solid point is a thing of beauty. but...
    I'm not afraid to hunt my poor o' "non"-registered, grade mutt with "anyones" classy pointer. I have no fear of being embarrased by his performance. 
      I've hunted behind pointers too. I just don't get a thrill from kicking a bird in the ass to get him up for a shot.
    ......."Puuuuulll"......

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY GUN
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    07 Sep 2009 10:25 AM
    They both have their place but I lean more towards Pointers. Saturday night we had 18 points on ruffed grouse and I ran the dogs with no gun that made my hole season. Some thing about a dog locked up on a bird gets me going.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    07 Sep 2009 01:37 PM

Hillbilly, You mean like these pictures. You bet  these are points that gets me going too. I just love the beauty of it................Bob

My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    08 Sep 2009 06:47 AM
    Man Bob you had to be there to see the dog work 5 birds on the ground me looking right at all of it then I just kicked them up and the guys missed. Out of all the points me son killed 2. I could end the season right now and I'd still have a smile.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    08 Sep 2009 02:09 PM
    Isn't it great when the kids do so good. Make a father proud. My eldest son hunts a lot with me. He is 51, but the still has the reflexes of a cat and out shoots the old man most of the time. He has his own Brit, Tony's sister. So we hunt apart a lot of times just to cover more ground.......Bob
    --
    08 Sep 2009 04:06 PM
    My oldest son is only 15 and is turning into quit the young man. He's started training dogs for people that I don't have time for I'm pretty proud of him. But my youngest son is 4 and hunted all weekend with me now that's I tough kid. I'll get the wife to post the pic tonight after I get done taking pics of my new litter of 13 gsp pups plus I might make it out for a evening grouse hunt.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    09 Sep 2009 06:46 AM
    Bob, great pics of Tony.

I love hunting behind both types, but I prefer a pointer.

Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    --
    09 Sep 2009 02:08 PM
    Pork, In the top Picture he is pointing Quail, they are about 15 to 20 yards in front of him. The second Pic, the pheasant is just inside those overhanging weeds. No more than 18 inches from his nose. Those pictures exemplify the saying "know how to read your bird dog." From his stance on the point I know where to look. He also gives me directions with his eyes and nose while staying on point. I cannot get enough of those points in my book.......Bob
    LuciaLabUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:30 LuciaLab
    --
    09 Sep 2009 04:03 PM
    I have a Lab so I have to say flusher, but still love to see a "Great" pointer in action.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com