Get Free Shipping on Dog Supplies and Upland Hunting Gear
Top Banner
Pheasants Forever
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Dog 1st Aid Kits.
Last Post 10 Sep 2009 07:49 AM by Porknbeans. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
--
09 Sep 2009 03:26 PM

How many of you have a 1st aid kit for your dog? Do you carry it on every outing with your dog? What do you have in it?

These are some of the items I have in mine.

Asprin He gets one immediately after each and every hunt. To ward off muscle aches and the evil demons as I call them.

Forceps To pull porcupine quills if he should ever encounter one. Slivers and the such.

Q-Tips to clean his eye and ears.

EMT-Gel  and Hydrogen Peroxide for those cuts and scraps that come from nowhere

Tape  and Gause for those cuts and scrapes.

Eye Wash, for washing his eyes

These are just some of the items but I like to carry what I know he will need sooner or later. If you don't have one for your dog now is the time to get one made. I just went to the drug store and got what I thought he would need.......Bob

My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    09 Sep 2009 03:53 PM
    I carry a small one on me with e.m.t gel benedryl and some other small stuff then in my dog box I got the big one with every thing in it fron e.m.t. gel to a stapler to put dogs back together. It's the big kit you get out of loin country with a hole lot of extras. But if the one thing that has been a saver it is the e.m.t. gel that stuff has put people and dogs back together many times. The other thing for porcupine quills that I carry is a piece of plastic pipe to hold their mouth open. I'd rather be safe then sorry so I carry all that stuff with me or in the truck.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    LuciaLabUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:30 LuciaLab
    --
    09 Sep 2009 05:00 PM
    I carry one that I bought from Lion Country Supply on every outing. It has the basics and a lot more, I figure it is a great thing to have, even though you never want to have to use it.
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    09 Sep 2009 06:45 PM
    I agree Lucialab, Better to be safe than sorry. Hillbilly that pipe is a great idea. Only I have never had any trouble with a Porcupine in 10 years......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    09 Sep 2009 11:13 PM
    My old lab loves porcupines and I saw the idea on a movie called dogging for coyotes they used a mouth call on a curr to get the quills out and the lanyard to hold the mouth on it open so I cut a piece of pipe the same lenght and used gauze. I've had to staple a couple of dogs at the truck and at home. It is a life saver but e.m.t. gel is always in my vest but I also carry a couple pieces of plastic sandwich bag and gauze to go over it the plastic don't stick that bad like just gauze. At home the kit it huge it would take alot of run to type whats in it.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    10 Sep 2009 07:49 AM
    I carry one too. It sounds like most of my stuff has already been covered.
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com