Pheasants Forever
Top Banner
Register   Login

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Tarheel Doves w/Photos
Last Post 13 Sep 2009 05:56 PM by llewellin. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Tarheel BlueUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:105 Tarheel Blue
--
13 Sep 2009 07:01 AM

Well boys, the doves have been flying fast and hard down here in Tarheel-ville and I felt it was my duty to go out and harvest a few of these grey-winged rockets. Took my F-I-L's lab ("Lady") out with me to Allen Brothers Hunting Preserve over in Bladenboro, NC yesterday and enjoyed the early morning 65 degree temps and light breeze. 

On Labor Day weekend at this same hunting preserve, it was reported that 200+ hunters on each day (Saturday & Monday) had harvested a total of 6000+ doves (limit is 15 per day). As you can imagine, on my 40 minute drive over there, I was daydreaming about countless doves circling the myriad of dried sunflowers and acres of corn, sorghum and brown-top millet. 

As it turned out, it was limited shooting and harder work than I expected. There were only about 8 of us circling this huge sunflower field, and by 9:30 am the "action" had dulled quite a bit, but we still managed to make some good shots and enjoy watching "Lady" do her thing on the retrieves. 

After our morning hunt had ended, my buddy Dale & I sat down and talked with some of the staff at the preserve and heard how the "hunters" from the previous weekend had shot more than their limits of birds and then kept shooting, just for the sake of shooting and then just left the dead birds down in the sunflower fields. Boys, this is called waste. I was disappointed to hear that so many of these so called "bird-hunters" had been tempted by the abundance of birds and failed to act responsibly.

The management staff stated that this was the first time in 9 years that the local Game Wardens had not come out on Labor Day weekend to check hunting licenses and game limits. They assured Dale & I that next year the NC Game Wardens would receive an early invitation in hopes their presence on site would deter such reckless and irresponsible killing. Another sad thing to learn is that many of these criminals were actually doctors, lawyers, politicians and other supposedly high ranking "officials". Dang, this just chapped my a$$. News like this gets out to the unknowing public and the Obamanians, and us ethical hunters are the ones who wind up feeling the pain and suffering the consequences. I am sure their were many young boys and girls on these Labor Day Weekend hunts and they witnessed people of so-called "prominence" continue to pull the trigger and now another future generation of hunters have been exposed to the wrong way to act while afield.

My thoughts are that our reputations as hunters would have been better served if these criminals had just simply just gone clay shooting or forked over big money to help eradicate the numerous doves viewed as crop pests down in Argentina or wherever, but they failed to uphold positive hunting values and harvest their downed game responsibly in my little corner of the world.

TB 

"I am a Soldier, I fight where I am told and I win where I fight." - General George S. Patton
    Tarheel BlueUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:105 Tarheel Blue
    --
    13 Sep 2009 07:16 AM

Here's a few photos for your entertainment value........

TB

"I am a Soldier, I fight where I am told and I win where I fight." - General George S. Patton
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    13 Sep 2009 09:53 AM
    Thanks for sharing TB
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    13 Sep 2009 04:16 PM
    TB very nice Photos, thank you for sharing .......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    13 Sep 2009 04:18 PM
    Great stuff TB. Thanks for sharing.
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    llewellinUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:102 llewellin
    --
    13 Sep 2009 05:56 PM
    thanks great pic dove hunting looks like fun
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com