Pheasants Forever
Top Banner
Register   Login

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
When to take off the saftey?
Last Post 30 Sep 2009 10:14 AM by brian88. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Foremost MediaUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:97 Foremost Media
--
14 Sep 2009 08:26 AM
    When should you take the saftey off on your gun while in the field?
    When I first get in the field (0)
     0%
    When my dog is on point or Birdy (3)
     21%
    When the bird flushes (10)
     71%
    What's the saftey (1)
     7%

I just read a great article by John Simeone called the Educated thumb & hunters saftey and it made me think about a great question.

Tarheel BlueUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:105 Tarheel Blue
    --
    14 Sep 2009 10:58 AM

The hunter has plenty of time to move the selector from SAFE to FIRE if he is paying attention to the dog and watching for the flush. My former train of thought was to remove the smokepole off of Safe and walk up and flush the bird, but it was pointed out to me by a very wise fellow birdhunter, that I was asking for an accident, in case I tripped and fell and the gun went off, doing damage to me, or worse yet, the dog.

TB

"I am a Soldier, I fight where I am told and I win where I fight." - General George S. Patton
    Tarheel BlueUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:105 Tarheel Blue
    --
    14 Sep 2009 11:02 AM

Just to clarify, most bobwhite quail will hold steady, unlike a wily old rooster phez. My vote is you still have time to move the Safety once the phez flushes.

TB

"I am a Soldier, I fight where I am told and I win where I fight." - General George S. Patton
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    14 Sep 2009 05:12 PM

When Tony is on point and I walk in to flush the bird. At that point I bring my gun up to Port Arms military style. I place my thumb on the safety, as I bring the gun to my shoulder after the bird has flushed, is when I push off the safety. It is all part of the the gun mount.......Bob

My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    WestforkUser is Offline Send Private Message Posts:50 Westfork
    --
    14 Sep 2009 07:07 PM

Definately agree with Bob, it is all part of the mount.  The safest way to go.

HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    14 Sep 2009 08:24 PM
    I wait till the bird is in the air. My gun isn't always loaded when walking it depends on my mood and who's with me.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BuckeyeUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:31 Buckeye
    --
    15 Sep 2009 09:59 AM
    And this, my friends is exactly why I am here. I'm still a newbie.

I'm the one who answered birdy or on point, but I see even that is not safe enough. I'll be practicing my mount and removal of the safety.

Thanks for helping me out.
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    23 Sep 2009 12:59 PM
    I used to flip it off when the dog got excited, but as I've gotten more used to the flush, I've also gotten more comfortable with flipping the safety off on the flush. It was very hard for me at first though.
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    24 Sep 2009 07:02 AM

It is all a "part" of the mount IMO. As the gun comes to my shoulder, my thumb slides the safety off. It isn't difficult to learn to make it a part of your mount. My 11 yr old grandson has had it instilled already.
    I won't hunt with someone that walks the feild with the safety off.

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY GUN
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    24 Sep 2009 08:42 PM
    I always think back to 2005 when I had to get rid of the gun quickly. I stepped into a Badger hole and was falling. The safety was on like it should have been. But I still had thoughts that it might fail when I tossed the gun.......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    brian88User is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:4 brian88
    --
    30 Sep 2009 10:14 AM

when the bird flushes, for sure. safety first.

<!--[if gte mso 9]> fficeDocumentSettings> fficeDocumentSettings> <!--[if gte mso 9]> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> <!--[if gte mso 10]> Binocular Harness

Binocular Harness
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com