Top Banner
Pheasants Forever
Register   Login

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Power bars / drinks for dogs
Last Post 19 Nov 2009 04:34 PM by Hillbilly. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
TroyUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:13 Troy
--
17 Sep 2009 03:23 PM

Has anyone ever used the power bars or drinks they now make for dogs?  Just wondering if anyone thinks they make a difference.

BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    17 Sep 2009 10:24 PM
    I think the power bars are alright. But I have heard the drinks are hard on the dogs kidneys. I make my own power cookies. They just seen to help him bounce back quicker. I don't see much in the longer lasting dept......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    TroyUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:13 Troy
    --
    18 Sep 2009 09:07 AM
    Bob,

How do you make a power cookie?
    Graybird66User is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:21 Graybird66
    --
    18 Sep 2009 01:55 PM
    Bob, Please share your recipe. Always looking for a good treat for a hard working dog!
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    18 Sep 2009 02:43 PM

Ok guys here it is

TONY COOKIE RECIPE

1 cup oatmeal
    1 cup Peanut Butter
    ¾ cup Honey
    ¾ cup Dry Milk
    1/3 cup Oil
    ¾ cup whole wheat flour
    ¾ cup reg. Flour
    ½ cup Malto-Dextin
    2 Eggs
    Water

Mix peanut butter, honey, oil, eggs, blend well
    Add dry milk oatmeal; 2 flours blend with wet mixture to stiff but smooth dough. If not blending right add a little water. You want stiff dough. Drop dough on cookie sheet as to make a cookie the size of silver dollar. Press very flat with a sugered glass.

Bake 350 until very brown and really hard. The harder the better.

NOTE: The Malt-Dextrin makes the dough very sticky do not handle it if possible. Make the sure the glass has lots of sugar the cookies will stick to it otherwise. Wash Glass as needed.

NOTE:     The Malto-Dextrin is used for making BEER. You can get it at a store that sells Beer making supplies. I keep my spare cookies in the freezer until needed. If left out to long they will mildew.

I feed 2-3 the night before and then another 2-3 when he is done hunting for the day.

My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    18 Sep 2009 02:44 PM
    Ya Bob lets here it. I use a peanut butter sandwhich to boost them up but would like to try this power cookie.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    18 Sep 2009 08:51 PM
    Bob,

Thanks for the recipe. I'll give it a try.
    --
    18 Sep 2009 09:02 PM
    As you can see all the ingredients are edible for humans. If you care to try them. I ate one and they are pretty good. The oil is any Vegetable or Canola type oil.
    grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    25 Sep 2009 06:32 AM
    "The oil is any Vegetable or Canola type oil."
    ..well that explains why mine tasted bad. I guess Penzoil 10/40 was the wrong ingredient.. :p
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY GUN
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    25 Sep 2009 07:15 AM
    I used 25/50 but it was western family.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    25 Sep 2009 04:32 PM
    Boy what a group, I figured you guys would be like that.......Bob
    BuckShotUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:14 BuckShot
    --
    15 Oct 2009 11:13 AM
    I like western.... does it have to be new or can it be used oil. I strained all the antifreeze out for safty reasons.
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    20 Oct 2009 11:08 AM
    Bob, great stuff. Thanks for sharing.
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    19 Nov 2009 03:35 PM
    PF has their power bars on sale for half price!...
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY GUN
    --
    19 Nov 2009 04:34 PM
    I tried it and it worked great I had my daughter make it.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com