Pheasants Forever
Top Banner
Register   Login

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 2

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Shotgun Value Packs
Last Post 22 Sep 2009 08:55 PM by Bob. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ZedUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:24 Zed
--
21 Sep 2009 06:08 PM

I was shopping at Bass Pro and found Winchester Value packs that carried 100 8shot lead shotshells and bought them for $30.

Sadly, I saw them the next day for $26 at Dicks

A few days later for $21 at Walmart. Walmart though had 6 AND 8 shot. So I bought a box of 6

While at Gander Mountain I saw Winchester Xpert Steel 4 shot value packs. 100 rounds for $45 bucks which is quite a steal. I didn't buy because I didn't think I had the money... Man do I regret that! I've since gone back and there is no trace of them. I've been on hold for about 20 minutes with the store seeing if they know anything about them.

Do any of you guys know where I can get good value packs like that for cheap ammo? I don't want ammo that's going to ruin my gun but I also don't want ammo that will ruin my wallet either.

Second question, I was referred to a guy who reloads his own shells and sells them. Should I trust reloaded shells in my gun? And am I really going to save any money going through him? I have a Remington 11-87, only lightly used so far.

LuciaLabUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:30 LuciaLab
    --
    21 Sep 2009 07:49 PM
    I can answer the second question. You would save money on reloaded shells if you where shooting Winchester AA"s and Remington STs. The bargin ones that you are buying, you would not save as much on. I can reload shells that are the same if not better in my gun, then the higher priced, quality factory loads for about $2.50 less. As far as buying them from someone else, I would be careful, a lot can go wrong if the shells are loaded to hot with powder or have a doble load of powder in them. I have confidence in the factory loads and the once I do myself, because I know what goes in to them. That is not the case if some one else is reloading the. Just my two cents.
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    21 Sep 2009 08:43 PM
    I agree with Lucia, that you should stay away from the reloads. In an Auto they could be trouble stuck shells you name it. I reload and I weigh every powder drop. But on these high speed auto reloaders some guys have, they have no idea what is inside the casing. They Just pump out one shell with every pull of the handle. I have seen guns blow-up on the trap range from them and they are bad news in my book........Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    ZedUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:24 Zed
    --
    22 Sep 2009 06:46 PM
    Thanks that's why I figured I would include which gun I own.

I plan on getting into reloading because it seems like a very cheap and fascinating hobby.

I read on other boards that the Xpert shots are pretty cheap and will vary a little from shot to shot. I read on a forum elsewhere that people were shooting geese in the head with the Xpert 4 shots and it wasn't killing them. I want to go for clean kills so I will research shot shells for a little bit.

Thanks for the quick reply!
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    22 Sep 2009 08:55 PM
    Some of those only have an 1165 FPS and I have had trouble killing pheasant with those shells. I reload all mine to standard Factory Specs. like 12 gauge 1 1/4 ounce of shot at 1330 FPS......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com