New Puppy? Check Out the Kennel and Cover Package Deal
Pheasants Forever
Top Banner
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
dog training with pheasent wings
Last Post 09 Oct 2009 09:53 AM by BigRooster. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
laabdogUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:3 laabdog
--
26 Sep 2009 04:24 PM

i have a old bag of wings from a pheasant trip i took and was wondering if it was a good idea just to give my lab and springer spaniel one just to chew on. i use them for feching and for running a trail in the yard for scent  but was just wondering about letting them tear one up thanks.

BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    26 Sep 2009 07:30 PM
    No, definitely not. You are running a chance the dogs will stop in a retrieve and have a snack. I would not do that in a million years. I go as far as to not feed my dog cooked Pheasant table scraps. I just don't like the idea......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    BertUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:51 Bert
    --
    01 Oct 2009 02:36 PM
    I have to agree with Bob.

I never mix and training tools with things that are considered play time items. If you let your dogs chew up one wing, them may decide that its ok to do this on every retreive.

Bert
    NRA Life Member, NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor, NRA Cert. RSO, Class III RSO/KCR
    BigRoosterUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:24 BigRooster
    --
    09 Oct 2009 09:53 AM

Even having them chase a wing on a fly rod will teach them to hunt by sight and not scent.. something you don't want them to do.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com