New Puppy? Check Out the Kennel and Cover Package Deal
Top Banner
Pheasants Forever
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Need some advice
Last Post 10 Oct 2009 07:10 PM by LuciaLab. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
LuciaLabUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:30 LuciaLab
--
30 Sep 2009 05:33 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for some advice on what to do with my father in laws dog.  I have the sister of my father in laws dog. I have trained her from the start, so is no field champion, but at just over two years old is doing great in my eyes and I am happy with her.  My father in Law on the other hand spent well over $2000 to send his dog away to be trained for three or four months.  His dog Sadie, after coming back from being trained was force fetched, collar conditioned and suppose to be on track for upland hunting.  I saw her a couple days after coming home and draged a dead chuckar on the ground making a scent patch and then put it into some long grass.  I then let her out of the house to see her in action.  I watched her slowly follow the trail with little excitment and after a while finding the chuckar.  She would not pick it up or do anything with it, just smell it and then moved on to other things.  I know when I release my dog and there is a bird around she will just go nuts to find it and will gladly bring it to me.  To make a long store short, I am wondering what I can do, if anything to get Sadie excited and some day an upland dog.  I guess I am looking for some advice on what I should do to help my Father in Law see what a bird dog acts like when they are birdy and what joy it brings to the owner.  I am looking for advice from anyone that will give it.

Thank you,

Scott

BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    30 Sep 2009 09:06 PM
    Rule one is; When the dog gets back from the trainer, it has to retrained to do what it was taught for you. That means Bonding with the dog is number one. While you are bonding, I would get to work and establish some of the basic commands. Namely; Here/come, fetch, whoa and some of those non-bird commands. When the dog has bonded with you and obeying well. Then go back into the birds and see what it has learned. You may have to show her what is acceptable and what is not. I would also try to get it out during the season and on as many birds possible. But make sure you have control of her first. A little late in the year to be getting a dog back from a trainer.......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    30 Sep 2009 09:30 PM
    Force Fetched dogs are ran off a collar most of the time (and a command) If you don't command the dog it might not pick it up. Bob is right I wouldn't do nothing with a dog but socializing for 2 weeks. Also the trainer should have showed your father in law how to work the dog.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BertUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:51 Bert
    --
    01 Oct 2009 03:10 PM
    Scott,
    That dog sounds like it had no interest in birds from Fetch / No Fetch training. I would call the trainer and have an in depth conversation about commands and or whistle signals (a visit would be even better). Your father inlaw will need to use exactly the same commands as the trainer did or you will confuse the dog and waste the training.
    I'm not surprised that the dog wouldn't touch the dead chukar, training teaches them not to retrieve everything in sight but only what you want them to, when you want them to.
    Bert
    NRA Life Member, NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor, NRA Cert. RSO, Class III RSO/KCR
    LuciaLabUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:30 LuciaLab
    --
    01 Oct 2009 10:11 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice, I will just have to try and start at square one.  I might be confusing Sadie with the commands etc.  To clear up some confusion, she has been back from the trainer since Feb. or March.   She has been back with my father in law since then.  The trainer never really told my father much about what he was doing with the Sadie.  I am trying to step in and just get her intrested in birds and retrieving.  I have told her to fetch, hold etc, but have not had much luck with it.  Like I said I will have to go back to square one.  I am thinking about clipping a chuckars wing and let her chase it around, get excited hopfully.  I know birds make the dog and the more birds the better.

Thanks again.

Scott

HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    02 Oct 2009 02:24 PM
    Why didn't the trainer tell him the commands. I'd be thinking that he probably didn't do much with the dog and I know how much it costs to pay a trainer. Also the trainer would be getting a phone call about this. You didn't do anything wrong but I would guess that the dog wasn't force fetched.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BrowndogUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:35 Browndog
    --
    02 Oct 2009 07:56 PM

Hey Scott,

Sounds like your f-i-l may have gotten taken on this deal. If you still have my e-mail address, please send me the name of this trainer, especially if he's here in WI. Might be one to avoid. Did he want his dog to be trained for field trials or some type of competitions? I guess I just don't see the reason for having to use force-fetch training on a lab if it had a similar natural desire as your Lucia has. Let's try to get together for a hunt sometime this fall if it works out.

--
    03 Oct 2009 02:31 PM
    I agree with you guys on the whole trainer thing, but I guess I am trying to move on from that and I am looking for some advice on what to do with Sadie now, that is if she wants to. My father in Law thinks that Sadie just does not have it in her to be a bird dog or retriever and I find this hard to believe. So I would like to show him that Sadie has it in her and try to work with her. So this is why I am wondering what to do next. Any thoughts would be appreicated.
    Thank you,
    Scott
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    03 Oct 2009 05:22 PM
    Do you know the commands the trainer was supposed to have taught her? I you do go back to square one using those commands and train her like she had never been at the trainer. I know when I got my dog back from the trainer all he knew was to run and hide when he seen the e-collar. With the help of a friend we started working him on Pigeons. That was after I had bonded and got him back to where he was obeying me. It was really a learning experience for now I know I can do it. I also know where I made some mistakes and will correct them on the next one......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    BertUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:51 Bert
    --
    07 Oct 2009 09:24 AM

Scott,
    You should start form square one. How is your dog on the basic: sit, stay and here commands? REMEMBER TO KEEP YOUR TRAINING FUN FOR THE DOG, keep any training period to between 10 and 15 minutes and ALWAYS end it on a positve/good thing. You will need to dedicate at least one training period a day (rain or shine) and double up on your days off.

KEEP PLAYTIME AND TRAINING CLEARLY SEPARATE.
    Give us more details about the dogs ability and attitude toward correction.
    Bert

NRA Life Member, NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor, NRA Cert. RSO, Class III RSO/KCR
    --
    07 Oct 2009 05:19 PM
    One thing that wasn't mentioned here. If the dog is having a bad day and trying your patience. Don't get mad in front of the dog. Just put it up for that day and try again tomorrow. By all means don't use force to get it to do something. Keep it fun and it will learn quick.......Bob
    --
    07 Oct 2009 06:58 PM
    I know you might not all agree with me but if you can get this dog going on birds by prey driving it might fix itself try a wing on a string to start with and get the dog pumped up then move on to a clipped wing pigeon tossing it and playing just like it is a game. It is a lab and it will play so that is my 2 cents and please keep us posted.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    10 Oct 2009 07:10 PM
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I have been working with Sadie a little here and there. She seems to be coming around, but it will take time, becuase she does not get much training, unless I am doing it. Like I said my father in Law, just thinks sadie is going to be a house dog and not a hunting dog.
    Thanks again,
    Scott
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com