Top Banner
Pheasants Forever
Register   Login

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
quit retrieving...??
Last Post 08 Nov 2009 10:13 PM by Bob. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
--
05 Oct 2009 08:25 AM

My buddy's lab just quit retrieving. I think it's about a 4 yr old dog, been hunting him for a couple of years now.

Late last spring, (March) he stopped bringing the birds back at the reserve. He marks 'em, goes to 'em, might even mouth 'em a time or two. But then he just stands there over the bird and will not retrieve. He was doing great up untill last spring. Had probably retrived a couple hundred pheasant.

Someone 'guessed' that those March birds from a pen, may have been spoiling/stinking. "I" don't have a clue...Whatever it is/was, it carried over to this fall.

Any thoughts, theories, advice???

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY GUN
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    05 Oct 2009 01:43 PM

I hate answering with a question, but, did it try to retrieve a cripple? Some of those cripples can be very mean when they are hurting. It could have gotten hurt by a claw in the face and now does not want them in his mouth........Bob

My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    06 Oct 2009 07:12 AM
    hm.. thanks for the reply bob. I'll need to ask about the cripple a reasonable possible explanation.. but what about a "cure". What can we do to "fix" it?..
    He took a set of wings home to tie onto the dogs favorite bumper. He'll retieve the bumper as many times as you will throw it for him.
    I did notice last week at the reserve, on a wounded hen, he stood right over her not moving a muscle. A LOT like on point.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    06 Oct 2009 12:57 PM
    Have you hunted him with a dog that retrieves if not try it competition sometimes will bring it back out of them. If that don't work it might be time to force fetch the dog. But I'll bet Bob's right and he got spurred or pecked by a wounded bird.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    08 Oct 2009 06:01 AM
    update.. I found out that the dog is 8 years old,!!.. only been hunted for the last 2 yrs.
    I'm hoping that the 'competition' with other dogs and wings on his bumper will bring him back around. I don't see this guy "force" fetching his dog. He sits on the couch watching tv and eating popcorn with him..
    Going to take him to the fezzunt farm friday, see if we can make any improvements.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    08 Oct 2009 08:38 AM
    You have fun G.O.D. don't get struck by lightning. I look up collars for you I'll send you a message with my email.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    08 Oct 2009 01:59 PM
    You know there are just some guys that don't know how to take proper care of a good hunting dog........Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    --
    10 Oct 2009 07:28 AM

well, she showed interest in retrieving anyway. Actually did bring one bird all the way in, and two others within a few feet of him.   She may come around, yet..

PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    20 Oct 2009 10:31 AM
    What a great pic.
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    --
    20 Oct 2009 04:52 PM

Great that is good to hear, keep her going the more birds the better. Very nice bunch of birds and a very nice photo........Bob

--
    22 Oct 2009 05:45 AM
    we're going again today.. "more birds, the better"..
    --
    08 Nov 2009 07:53 AM
    Well, the old dog is coming around. The competition stimulated her I thik. She actually fought some of the other dogs, for "her" bird. That is, struggled to take it away, not actual "fight".
    She started bringing them back to within about 10 feet and dropping them. Last bird, I told him to just ignore her. Turn around and walk away as soon as she started getting close. She brought it right up and bumped his leg with the rooster. As if to say, "Hey, I got this bird here. Why aren't you begging me to bring it to you?".. :p
    --
    08 Nov 2009 10:13 PM
    There you got the idea, that is what will happened darn near every time. For some reason they hate to be ignored.......Bob
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com