Get Free Shipping on Dog Supplies and Upland Hunting Gear
Top Banner
Pheasants Forever
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
how to get a dog to pick up a bird
Last Post 23 Mar 2010 10:24 AM by Buckeye. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
BuckeyeUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:31 Buckeye
--
08 Oct 2009 06:31 PM

looking for ideas here.  My girl will not pick up a bird, but, she will drag one out of the water.  I'm not so interested in force fetching yet, as I don't think that she needs it.  She will play fetch with any number of balls and toys, bringing it rght back to my feet.  She's just never even picked up a bird while not swimming. 

One idea that I have is getting a small dead bird (quail), and either swapping it when playing with other toys after she is moving and into it, or trussing it up a bit and putting Peanut butter on it.  I'm certain that as soon as she actually picks a bird up, she'll be good to go.

BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    08 Oct 2009 10:20 PM
    How old is this dog? Have you ever had it hunting for real? Before I'm ready to give any advice I'd like to know more about the dog.....Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    BigRoosterUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:24 BigRooster
    --
    09 Oct 2009 09:34 AM

If I were you I'd try the dead quail, but tease her with it while you carry it around and don't let her have it for a while.  Just like humans, I've found dogs always want what they cant have.

coolcreekretrieversUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:35 coolcreekretrievers
    --
    16 Oct 2009 07:25 PM

As Bob said  need more info on this dog. How old is the dog? What training have you done with the dog.? What does the dog do when she/he runs to the bird? (stand over it, just smells it, tries to eat it)

www.coolcreekretrievers.com
    BuckeyeUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:31 Buckeye
    --
    20 Oct 2009 12:10 PM
    she's just under 2 years old, and has been hunting for real only this year. We shot a bunch of quail last weekend, and she actually starting mouthing one.

she typically chases it down, and then stands over it barking and snapping at it. doesn't usually bite it, but will nibble it a bit. She's looking a like she might actually try and pick one up soon.

I'm thinking of freezing one and seeing if she'll play fetch in the backyard.
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    20 Oct 2009 05:49 PM
    This is trick is as old as the hills. It might be worth a try. Take the first kill the next time you go hunting. Assuming she does her usual bark and snapping at it. Take it and tease, yes tease her by lightly hitting her on the nose, whatever you think will make her mad. When she really mad and snapping and such, throw the bird a good retrieve distance. The instant she get gets to it give the "retrieve command". Maybe she will be mad enough to pick it up and bring it to you........Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    coolcreekretrieversUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:35 coolcreekretrievers
    --
    20 Oct 2009 07:16 PM

Are you following a training program? if so which one. if not you may want to pick one. Smartwork would be a great one  and is ease to follow. Follow it step by step skipping a step will cause holes in your dog and will show up as the get older. A dog that does not pick birds up is a major problem. If  the dog is not picking up bird why would you think she does not need force fetch?. I would force fetch the dog, then the problem is fixed for good.

www.coolcreekretrievers.com
    TCJACKUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:46 TCJACK
    --
    08 Feb 2010 12:22 PM
    I would force fetch her. I just got a dog 2 months ago that would not retreive at all, would not even mouth a hot dog! I just got done force fetching him, and now he is a reteiving machine, this was my first time force fetching a dog , and with a little dedication it is'nt to bad, only took a month!
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    09 Feb 2010 08:56 AM
    TC is right force fetching the dog is the best way. But if your not up for it pay some one you can mess a dog up if you don't know what your doing.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    FCSpringerUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:5 FCSpringer
    --
    12 Mar 2010 11:28 AM

I agree, FF the dog. Or it can instill bad habits, and drag out for a long time.

When you think you are smarter then your dog ask yourself, "Who cleans up who's poo?"
    --
    23 Mar 2010 10:24 AM

The FF has started, I've been working with a trainer all along since I lack both land and birds.  He's got me started with the hold drill, and when she does it well, I will turn her over to him to finish.  Thanks for all the advice!

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com