Pheasants Forever
Top Banner
Register   Login

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Anyone
Last Post 20 Oct 2009 04:25 PM by Bob. 19 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
--
14 Oct 2009 06:34 PM

Anyone doing any hunting. We've been jump shooting ducks and chasing a few quail. The weather has been crapy and it's been a while since I shot ducks.

Life's Short Play Hard
    chrisUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:94 chris
    --
    14 Oct 2009 09:04 PM
    Hillbilly, Grouse,woodcock opens sat here , Got some quail allready
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    14 Oct 2009 09:16 PM

I'm trying to hunt Quail, but like you Ed, the crappy weather is holding  me back........Bob

My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    WestforkUser is Offline Send Private Message Posts:50 Westfork
    --
    15 Oct 2009 03:47 AM

Waiting for Nov 6,  been trying to get in  on the last few days of Dove season but same crap weather here too.  Working on the club house to get ready for deer camp.

HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    15 Oct 2009 08:04 AM
    Thanks to the weather I been nursing sick kids but thanks to me jumping in the river yesterday chasing quail I'm sick now. So I guess I'll have to take a couple days off. You know I can't what for season to start but October sucks rain rain rain. Can't wait for it to snow.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    15 Oct 2009 01:21 PM
    Ed, please don't say snow after last year I just cannot stand to see the stuff. I want the rain it is so dry here, Tony kicks up a dust cloud like a car on a gravel road.
    I am sorry to hear you are sick, I hope you get well soon.......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    --
    15 Oct 2009 04:56 PM
    I love the snow the bird hold tight , don't have to pack as much water and most people stay home. Man I might have got sick but I had a blast running my young pointer on quail and jump shooting with my young lab. Didn't kill a bird but got shots and had blast. November is going to be the month if this cold don't kill me I got a couple buddies that the doc said they got the swine flu. I eat pig don't catch it.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    15 Oct 2009 08:50 PM

You sound like a bunch of other hunters I know. What I mean is we had so much snow, we could not see out our picture window in the living room. Nobody was hunting birds here in the snow, it was over waist deep. You couldn't walk in a field. The farmers were going to town to get food on snowmobiles. It was horrible here. I slipped and fell shoveling the carp and it was July before I got my hip and shoulder healed. At this point I don't care if I never see any of the crap again.........Bob

--
    17 Oct 2009 07:30 AM
    I live on a north facing slope up in the mountains and it was deep were I live but were I hunt it wasn't that bad. I don't think we'll get that much this year.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    17 Oct 2009 06:27 PM
    From what they are saying it is SUPPOSE to be Rain and Warm, this winter.......Bob
    chrisUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:94 chris
    --
    18 Oct 2009 06:44 AM
    It snowed here in nj for first sat of the season it was great keeps guys from going
    dogpowerUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:60 dogpower
    --
    18 Oct 2009 08:49 AM

We haven't had any accumilation of snow here in southern WI, but the temperature has been about 15 degrees below normal.  Because of that, I thought I'd do a little deer hunting.  I normally don't deer hunt until later in the season because I like to let the deer I harvest hang in the shed for 24 to 48 hours before I process it.  The temperature has been perfect for that right now.

Where I hunt, we have a herd reduction zone due to the high deer population and an attempt to control the spread of CWD.  For the past few seasons, there has been an early 4 day, antlerless only gun season in these zones.  I haven't participated in this in the past, nor do I start bow hunting until the end of October when the rut starts and the normal temperatures are cool enough to let the carcass hang.

Another thing about these herd reduction zones is the "earn a buck" rule.  This means that you have to shoot an antlerless deer before you can shoot a buck.  The last time I hunted without an EAB, I had a dandy 10 pointer spend a couple hours near my stand, presenting every possible dream shot that a hunter can imagine, all within easy shooting range.

Because I suffer from the dreaded "too busy" desease that doesn't allow me to have all the hunting time that a hunter's soul needs, I had to plan my deer hunt for efficiency.  I don't believe in hunting over bait piles.  I do study the deer's habits and know their travel patterns.  So about 5:30 Friday afternoon I snuck into a likely spot and settled into some brush on the edge of the woods.  I hadn't quite gotten comfortable when a doe came out of the woods into the field - perfect broadside shot.  By 6:00 the deer was tagged and I was on my way to get my truck and get the deer registered.

Now that I have an "earn a buck" sticker, I'll be ready for the later season hunt.  But I'm sure the big boy is aware that I can shoot him so he will only give me teaser glimpses.

--
    18 Oct 2009 09:54 PM
    We leave ours hang for 10 days in the cooler or if it's cold in the shed. Does eat good but good luck on the big boy.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    chadmorrisUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:7 chadmorris
    --
    19 Oct 2009 03:00 PM
    I live in the Lower Yakima Valley in WA, and I am very excited/proud to say my dog and I have killed damned near 30 quail this season. My dog and I are getting better every hunt, so I am hoping this number will continue to increase. Pheasant opened on the 17th for the Yakama Reservation, but I haven't been out there so far. I am looking forward to getting out there this weekend.
    --
    19 Oct 2009 04:15 PM
    There ain't nothing wrong with those numbers I hope they grow for you to. What kind of dog and how old. Sounds like it's a good one.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    chadmorrisUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:7 chadmorris
    --
    20 Oct 2009 10:34 AM
    Thanks, Hillbilly. I have a GSP and he just turned a year this month. Yeah, he is getting better every time we go out.
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    20 Oct 2009 11:21 AM
    Hit a game farm with Browndog last weekend and I'm heading out for some public land hunting this weekend.
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    BuckeyeUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:31 Buckeye
    --
    20 Oct 2009 12:46 PM
    Buddies and I got 21 quail last weekend on the Yakima reservation opener, most of them in the afternoon in about 2 hours. Lots o fun happening there, and the little girl started getting the idea about quail, so even better
    --
    20 Oct 2009 01:06 PM
    Sounds like the season is going good for every one I'm going to hunt all weekend for quail and chukars maybe a few grouse. Keep your powder dry guys.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    20 Oct 2009 04:25 PM
    Thank you Ed, I hope all goes well for you and the family as well........Bob
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com