Get Free Shipping on Dog Supplies and Upland Hunting Gear
Pheasants Forever
Top Banner
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
I finally see what you guys mean!
Last Post 24 Jan 2010 10:19 AM by TCJACK. 20 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
chadmorrisUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:7 chadmorris
--
19 Oct 2009 10:08 AM

Well, I finally see what you guys are talking about. I have been working with my GSP for the last year, and this is his first year in the field. Quail season opened in WA on October 3rd, so we have been going out several times a week. I am new at hunting with a pointer and wasn't really sure if I had done what I needed to do correctly. A friend and I went out quail hunting yesterday morning and it was something I will never forget! Before yesterday, he would kinda "point"; hoverver he would retrieve. But yesterday he started pointing and holding his point. It was absolutely beautiful!!! I was so fringin' excited to see him do what he was made to do -- he was so excited and loved it, and I was so excited and loved it. We ended up killing 10 quail yesterday morning, and he pointed and retrieved every single one of them. His points got better and better throughout the morning.The last 4 or 5 were solid points with excellent retrieves (several ran on him). What a thrill is was to be out in the field with my dog! I am looking forward to many more days in the field with my him. AWESOME!!! By the way, if you can't tell, I am excited.

BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    19 Oct 2009 03:27 PM
    I totally agree Chad you have every right to be excited. It is a very exciting experience to see your bird dog grow into a hunting machine. Good Luck on the Pheasants this weekend....Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    19 Oct 2009 05:41 PM
    Still every point is like the first one I ever saw. I'd rather see a dog on point then kill a big buck.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    chrisUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:94 chris
    --
    19 Oct 2009 06:52 PM
    You said it hillbilly there is nothing better than a dog on point. Even better if its your dog.
    BuckShotUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:14 BuckShot
    --
    20 Oct 2009 05:02 AM
    I still get exited watching my GSP lock up. I only wish I had him when my grandfather was still alive and hunting. He used to tell me hunting stories about bird dogs... and now watching Buckshot in action..... I only wish he were standing beside me with his old winchester 20 gauge single shot. It's like watching an artist, only you know what the out come is going to be. BANG!!!-BANG!!!
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    20 Oct 2009 12:27 PM
    Chad great story and I'm glad to hear you're having fun.

Wait until your dog is running full tilt, whirls around completely, freezes on a point in mid-air all at the same time.
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    20 Oct 2009 03:22 PM
    The only thing that can beat that is when 2 or 3 dogs do it at the same time it's like the winning touch down at the superbowl.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    20 Oct 2009 05:38 PM
    Chad be sure to tell us when what Pork said happens. Where are you hunting this weekend, east side or west side?........Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    chadmorrisUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:7 chadmorris
    --
    21 Oct 2009 09:48 AM
    I will do that. I am going to be hunting the Lower Valley (Sunnyside/Mabton area) as well as the Yakama Reservation this weekend. Someone said they and their buddies killed around 21 quail out there in about two hours, so Rommel (my dog) and I will be huntin' fools this weekend. I am hoping to run into a couple roosters while we are out there. Question: If he has been pointing quail, will he more than likely point pheasant? Or will there still be the learning curve we experienced with quail? I don't mind either way, I am just curious. thanks.
    --
    21 Oct 2009 05:51 PM
    In my experience Chad, Once they started pointing wild birds, they pointed all wild birds. They all must smell pretty close to the same........Bob
    grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    22 Oct 2009 07:06 AM
    not to be hi-jacking your post chad...
    but my son just aquired a gsp just a few months old, 4 months maybe. He's retrieving the dummy and loves it. Can and will use his nose to find it in heavy cover too.
    Is there a method, process to promote the "point"?..
    He was asking me, and I haven't a "clue" about training pointers.
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY GUN
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    22 Oct 2009 08:52 AM
    Grouchy, I'm sure you know this but the point is a natural instinct, but it can be reinforced through different methods. I'm sure you might have heard of the whoa post, that's one. There are many others out there and a simple trip to a book store or internet search should be a good starting point for him. I think we've gone over this topic here on the forum as well, but I can't find the thread right off hand.

It's good to see your son's dog is coming along nicely. Please keep us posted on how it goes.

Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    --
    22 Oct 2009 10:53 AM
    I train pointing dogs off the instinctive gun dog training method the book is called Bird Dog by Ben O Williams and after I get them going on the instinct I start formal training.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    22 Oct 2009 04:31 PM
    Grouchy,
    That was one of my biggest concerns when I got my GSP puppy. I thought I would have to become somewhat of dog-whisperer to get him to do these things. I had absolutely no experience with hunting dogs period. I talked to several people on this site, as well as some "professional" trainers in my area. The one thing I kept hearing was that this is what the dog will do instinctively -- they just have it in them. This made me feel a little better, but I still thought I would have to do something. I taught him all the basic field commands in my yard and in the field -- he knew what birds smelled like but had never been on live birds. Well, I took him to a friend of mine and had him put some pigeons in remote launchers; I released my dog and within a few seconds he was on somewhat of a "point". by the third bird, he was on a solid, beautiful point. I am sorry to say, but I had absolutely nothing to do with it -- he just did it because that's what he does. These guys can give you better technical advice than I can, but my advice to you and your son would be to just breath and have fun with your new dog because he will point when it comes to it. By the way, it is beautiful to watch when they do! Relax and have fun with your new dog.
    --
    22 Oct 2009 05:23 PM
    The only way I know of to get some solid points is to do it the way Chad did. Or you can take a bird you don't mind losing. Put it to sleep out in the open someplace. I have seen it done in the yard on the short grass. Let the dog find it, when he see's it the dog should sight point it........Bob
    --
    27 Oct 2009 07:30 PM
    That's the only way to train pointing dogs by instinct and you got to teach the some commands but it's a piece of cake.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    glenhunterUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:5 glenhunter
    --
    06 Nov 2009 12:09 AM

Congrats man, sounds like you got a real beauty there!

gh

grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    22 Nov 2009 08:10 AM

The boys pup,(not yet 6 months old) pulled off a "solid" point on two wild roosters this wekend, the kid is ecstatic!... He also retrieved 7 rootys all by himself! .. has a ton of heart. I'm happy for him..and for you chad. I see that same excitement and pride in my boy that you must be feeling.

Like a proud new Father or something, chest all puffed out, big o' grin that you couldn't slap off his face, "..that's my dog!"...    CONGRATS!

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY GUN
    TCJACKUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:46 TCJACK
    --
    22 Jan 2010 11:20 AM
    Seeing your dog find birds is a beautiful thing. It's also nice to no all the hours in your back yard is paying off, if it did'nt i bet i would'nt have dogs at all!
    --
    22 Jan 2010 01:37 PM
    A wise man once said and it is so simple its truth is obvious. "Hunting with any dog is always better than no dog at all.".........Bob
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com