Get Free Shipping on Dog Supplies and Upland Hunting Gear
Pheasants Forever
Top Banner
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 2

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
At what age can you start taking your kid hunting?
Last Post 23 Nov 2009 12:24 PM by Tarheel Blue. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
TroyUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:13 Troy
--
29 Oct 2009 04:26 PM

I have a 7 year old daughter that wants to go pheasant hunting with me.  All she will be doing is walking with me, she will not be caring a gun.  I went ahead and got her outfitted and plan on taking her this weekend.  I'm a little concerned if she will be able to do the amount of walking that is required in pheasant hunting.  I'm planning on hunting a couple of hours in the morning then taking a break and then hunting a couple more hours in the afternoon.  Your opinion on what's a good age to start or suggestions on how to make the outing fun for her would be appreciated.

shaneUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:15 shane
    --
    29 Oct 2009 08:23 PM
    In Kansas you have to be 11 years old to take the hunters safety course to carry a gun but you can go and just walk at any age. If she wants to go GREAT, please take her, we need more youths involved in hunting. A couple hours at a time shouldn't be to much but you would know her physical condition better than us. I think it would be a great way to spend time with your daughter and for her to see the things daddy enjoys. Be safe and have fun.
    BuckShotUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:14 BuckShot
    --
    30 Oct 2009 07:50 AM
    in Pa. they can walk with you. My 10 tear old walks with me and my 13 year old. He qualifies for the mentor hunting, but you have to be 12 to pheasant hunt. As long as he's sitting in the woods I can hand him the gun and let him soot a squirrle but the don't want little ones walking with a loaded gun in the field. I understand their concept. My 10 year old trips on alot of vines and brush. He's a tropper. He hangs with us all day. When he starts to wear out.... I just tell him... hey look the dog isn't complaining. He wants to blast a pheasant bad, but for now he's been shooting rabbits , squirrels, ground hogs and one fox that I called in for him. It's hard when he sees his big brother getting his shotgun out to go and he knows he's going for a walk. He does like to carry the birds. I believe all states are different. Here kids can hunt certain things but they need a $2.70 mentor lic. I'd check before anything. Even though my 10 year old son isn't carring a gun.... he's dressed in orange from top to bottom.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    30 Oct 2009 11:10 AM
    In Oregoen for small game it's 7 but I take all my kids before they could walk I just carry them and let my wife shoot over my dogs. My youngest boy is 4 now but has been going deer hunting with me and the older kids sense he was 3 and yes the little guy walks. He's even hunted for 3 days straight with us for Blue Grouse. So I guess it depends on the temp and weather and if your willing to not get to walk fast but the end result is great.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BigMattUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:42 BigMatt
    --
    02 Nov 2009 01:59 PM
    I know I started at 6 or 7. I would take my pellet gun along and shoot at tweety birds along the way. I think all kids should start young. It gets them used to the protocol of hunting. I was full blown pheasant hunting by 9...with a 12 gauge. What can I say, I was a big kid. My dad still takes kids on junior pheasant hunts to this day, it is a great thing to do. Plus it doesn't hurt the dogs one bit either.
    grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    22 Nov 2009 07:55 AM
    Posted By shane on 29 Oct 2009 08:23 PM
    In Kansas you have to be 11 years old to take the hunters safety course to carry a gun but you can go and just walk at any age. If she wants to go GREAT, please take her, we need more youths involved in hunting. A couple hours at a time shouldn't be to much but you would know her physical condition better than us. I think it would be a great way to spend time with your daughter and for her to see the things daddy enjoys. Be safe and have fun.

Hmmmmmmm... strange. My grandson took his HS course in CO at age 10, I purchased his "Youth small game" liscence for KS at that age..10.  He's been packing his little single 12 for 3 years in the feild at the clubs, and occasionaly I would allow it on wild birds, too. He 'just' turned 11. He started walking with me elk hunting at 6. For the long walks, I'd just plan to make a "day" of it. Lunch, drinks, and allow plenty of time, take frequent breaks and  "love the experience yourself", if you're enjoying it, it's contagous..  

I believe you have to keep it fun... for them. Be prepared to take a break when/if they become tired or bored. Take along snacks and drink. Be prepared to call it an early day, if they become too restless or tired/bored. You can't 'force' them to like it, it has to be enjoyable for them. Also be prepared to answer lotsa' questions like, what kind of bug is that?. why is the grass green?, when do we eat?, why is the sky blue?, how much longer?, ect. ect. ect...

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY GUN
    RichUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:3 Rich
    --
    22 Nov 2009 09:58 PM

I started taking my son with me when he was 6 years old,. I made him up a " fake" gun out of a old 22 stock and a short piece of pipe so he could learn to carry a gun in the field and get used to carrying the extra weight. He always had a real good time and never complained. Start em young!!! He is now ten and got his first hunting license this year, my girlfriend and my mom helped him buy a Charles Daley 20 gauge pump a couple weeks ago. I keep him up front and to the left of me so i can keep an eye on him. I trust him almost 100%. He has shot bb guns and his archery set for years with saftey drilled in to him. Get them out young, depending on state law of course, and make it a positive trip even if you dont get to shoot any birds.

Tarheel BlueUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:105 Tarheel Blue
    --
    23 Nov 2009 12:24 PM

Troy, I do the same thing that Rich described. I allow my 5 year old son to accompany me on quail hunts and bring his "toy shotgun". He's carrying it around, with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, just like my hunting buddies and me. He feels that he is an important part of the hunt and gets to see first hand the dogs working, shots being made and the retrieves as well. He wears hunter orange and ear/eye protection too.

My hunting buddies always make Parker feel welcome, even though they know I may have to sometimes interrupt the hunt for an unscheduled potty or refreshment break, etc. If the child wants to be with you on a hunt, I can think of no better way than to spend quality time with your kids. Plus, you can use the time afield as a teaching tool about gun safety, etc. Man, the stories they will tell their friends about hunting with Dad/Mom will make you an even prouder parent!

It is important to listen to your children and not "force" them to go with you on a hunt. No matter how much we would like for our kids to feel the same way about hunting as we do, it is possible to turn them against hunting if you make them go afield with you each and every time. I guess it's like training a bird dog. Each one is different and it is up to us to know our dogs and  children in order to introduce them to the next phase. This past Saturday, we didn't go bird hunting because he wanted to sign up for Upwards Basketball at church, which will take up many of our Saturdays between now and the end of February. So, it's give and take. I'm participating in something he wants us to do as son & dad and he participates with me in the pine thickets and broom straw that holds the quail that we enjoy hunting.

When Parker was born, my in-laws bought his lifetime hunting & fishing licenses. Now all he has to do is take the Hunting Safety Course when he reaches 10 years of age and he will never have to pay for his licenses for the rest of his life. I look forward to many days afield with my sons (got a 5 month old too), both now and when I am an old man.

"Crawl, walk, run......"

TB

"I am a Soldier, I fight where I am told and I win where I fight." - General George S. Patton
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com