New Puppy? Check Out the Kennel and Cover Package Deal
Top Banner
Pheasants Forever
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Lack of chitchat
Last Post 24 Nov 2009 07:51 AM by Hillbilly. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Brady-24-7User is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:41 Brady-24-7
--
31 Oct 2009 02:53 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen.

I have noticed over the last little while there has been a lack of activity on the site with regard to tales and woes basically just chitchat. Unfortunately due to work and other committments I have not had much field or sporting clays action therefore I have to live via your posts. So I would love to hear about going away crossers (100 yards out) at the sporting clays field you crushed with an I/C choke, the upland hunt where you were limited out in 5 minutes 20ft from the truck in a blizzard, or even some embarrassing tales that occurred (to a friend) while afield.

Just wondering

Brady

PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    03 Nov 2009 08:25 AM
    Brady, I wish you the best in getting back into the field. I agreee that things have been a little slow, but it is the hunting season. I know my schedule has been crazy too. I've gone hunting to 2 gamefarms and 3 public spots this year. I found out after coming back from the public hunting that the DNR hasn't been stocking birds because of the wet weather. Here in Wisconsin, without the stocking of birds by the DNR, we are basically out for good exercise in most places. I've got a trip to Iowa planned but the weather has been so wet there that the farmers haven't been able to get their crops off of the fields. I've pushed back my trip in the hopes that the additional time will allow them to get their harvest in.

Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    03 Nov 2009 08:46 AM
    I only got a few minutes a day that I can get on here to chat but I'll just say I've been hunting a bunch and runnin 15 to 20 dogs a week takes up a lot of time and boot leather.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BigMattUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:42 BigMatt
    --
    03 Nov 2009 10:37 AM
    Hillbiily....you are just braggin'!

Pork - They have to stock birds in Wisconsin?? I would have thought that it would be a decent place to get some wild birds. Shows what I know.

I may actually get a chance to run up to Oregon next weekend and get 1 1/2days of pheasant hunting in. I was thinking that I was going to have to wait until next year. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!!
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    03 Nov 2009 06:48 PM
    It's not braggin it's called livin the life but sometimes it's kinda like a nightmare. Only got 1 chukar today but had a blast just me and my dog. Let him run really big and it took me 20 minutes to get to him but well worth it. I'll be hunting elk with a buddy actually me driving him walking little breakfrom bird hunting going back out after chukars tomorrow.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    03 Nov 2009 09:07 PM
    I too have been hunting and I'm in the same boat a P&B, I have seen 1 bird I could shoot at. I have made about 8 trips and the birds are just not there for me......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    03 Nov 2009 09:07 PM
    I too have been hunting and I'm in the same boat a P&B, I have seen 1 bird I could shoot at. I have made about 8 trips and the birds are just not there for me......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    04 Nov 2009 08:16 AM
    BigMatt, yep we stock here in Cheeseland. We do have some good habitat in the Southwest part of the state, but the rest of it isn't very conducive to Pheasants. Too much woods, wetlands, lakes/streams and grazing land, not enough grassland and dirty fence lines.
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    --
    05 Nov 2009 08:12 AM
    Well for some chitchat I had a good week of hunting 3 ducks, 1 chukar, 6 valley quail, 2 mountain quail, and burned alot of boot leather. The chukar was like killing a trophy bull it took 5 poits and 4 relocate over 3/4 of a mile to get them pinned but my GSP Willy got here done. Yesterday we got some quail and the dog work was more them awesome my dog Jack (gsp also) pointed 3 coveys 1 had over 100 birds in it that's pretty good for a dog to pin that big of a covey. The mountain quail were a blast holding so tight you had to kick them. Monday I ran a young pointer (EP) and he handled like a glove did great but had to make a couple victory laps with the birds.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    Tarheel BlueUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:105 Tarheel Blue
    --
    05 Nov 2009 02:56 PM

Haven't gotten into the field yet, but I have hired 12 people this week, renegotiated the office lease, driven over 800 miles this week (so far), drank 6 pots of coffee, worked four 14 hr days, sold 2 salvaged company vehicles, sold one contract to UNC TV, met with 1 national client, signed off on $610 worth of office supplies, set all clocks back 1 hour due to time change. All was accomplished without even pulling the smokepole from the gun safe.

Bang 'em up Hillbilly, but save some for the rest of us! Dang, I'm ready to bust a covey. Expecting our first frost of the year this coming Saturday.

TB

"I am a Soldier, I fight where I am told and I win where I fight." - General George S. Patton
    markvanUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:27 markvan
    --
    06 Nov 2009 01:48 PM
    ok some chit chat---- been working young lab Moses on pen raised pheasants nearly every weekend- keeps getting a little better, he has all kinds of TRY!!! now one week from today-Friday Nov. 13 we will be heading for South Dakota and real bird hunting!!! hope more of their crops keep coming off and the hunting will be good!!
    Brady-24-7User is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:41 Brady-24-7
    --
    21 Nov 2009 05:06 PM

Thank you gentlemen I am now back to my old self hopefully will get out hunting in the next week.

--
    24 Nov 2009 07:51 AM
    In the next week I thought we're supposed to go every day to keep the dogs in shape.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com