Pheasants Forever
Top Banner
Register   Login

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 2

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Uh, Oh...9 mo old going into first heat right before big trip!!!
Last Post 14 Nov 2009 01:21 PM by Hillbilly. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
cacklencrowUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:23 cacklencrow
--
09 Nov 2009 02:27 PM

Well guys,

I was afraid this was going to happen and it did.  My now 9 mo old female GSP (pickles) is showing signs of early heat.  We were headed to KS for the opener this weekend and I'm not about to leave her at home but I'm worried that this may cause some problems.  I have another GSP but she is older and spayed so I don't think she will be affected much but my cousin is bringing his 1-1/2 year old male (will be his first trip too).  I would hate for his performance to be adversly affected by an instinct that may be stronger than his instinct to hunt birds.  I guess I could always tie her up at the camp if she is causing too much trouble but I really want to hunt her.  She is bird crazy and I just can't wait to see her on wild birds.  I will more than likely spay her later but I wanted her to at lest have one heat before I decided.

Do you think pup will do more harm than good or can you give me any tips on how to keep her condition from ruining the hunt?

cnc

BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    09 Nov 2009 04:22 PM

There is a product called "Chaperon". It is suppose to mask the smell so other dogs cannot smell her.....Bob

My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    14 Nov 2009 06:19 AM
    I'm pretty sure this isn't the answer you're hoping to hear, so I hope it doesn't offend you.
    BUT, I would be more than a little pissed,.. if any of my hunting partners "knowingly" brought a bitch in heat on a hunt with me. The male will not have ANY interest in hunting anything but THAT. And you stand a very good chance of ending the hunt with a bred bitch, regardless of how closely you watch. Unless she is kenneled or totally segregated the entire time.
    As bad as it hurts, "IMO" best left at home this trip. There will be other trips, and you won't risk ruining the hunt/trip for everyone.
    I know nothing of the above mentioned product and it's effectiveness.
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY GUN
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    14 Nov 2009 01:21 PM
    I hate to say it to but G.O.D. is right I've seen guys run females in heat in trials without telling anyone it's not good. I hunt females in heat but not with other dogs. My older stud dogs don't get to wound up in the kennel but I still don't even risk it and it only takes a second for her to get bred. Sorry just my opinion to.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com