Get Free Shipping on Dog Supplies and Upland Hunting Gear
Top Banner
Pheasants Forever
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
New Guns
Last Post 11 Nov 2009 03:54 PM by Bob. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
--
10 Nov 2009 02:36 PM

Now that we are into a hunting seasons. If you were going to buy a new gun for the UPLANDS,. What would it be? I have 2-20 gauges U/O's and a 28 guage O/U. If I was to add a gun it would another 28 guage to back-up the one I have. I do use it and that 3/4 ounce of shot will kill a wild Pheasant. I Shoot modified in the 1st barrel and improved modified in the 2nd for pheasant. Even shoot Trap with it I use my Improved Modified, I just do better with the tighter chokes. That is my choice what is yours?........Bob

My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    cacklencrowUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:23 cacklencrow
    --
    10 Nov 2009 04:10 PM
    I've been comtemplating buying an over and under 20ga but just can't seem to talk myself into it. I've always hunted with 12ga auto, browning mostly and am used to having that power and shell capacity. I love the way the 20ga O&U feels but I feel like I will be trading feel for effectiveness. I shoot birds at distances that I wouldn't try with a 20ga and sometimes when you get into a "cluster flush", it's nice to have the extra shots to take down a second bird(I usually shoot more than once!). I wish I had a friend that owned one htat I could try out but I don't. Down here in Louisiana everybody has duck guns, not many O&U's here. My cousin has an O&U 12ga that I was going to try this weeekend.

cnc
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    10 Nov 2009 05:55 PM
    CNC, Let me try to help with your problem. About 9 years ago, I know, Tony was just a pup in his first season and he was a year old that Sept. I had a 12 ga O/U. Tony and I were hunting and we got into a bunch of birds. Tony made 9 points to give you an idea as to the number of birds. I missed most of them and finally did shoot a limit of three. I shot it for the rest of the season and was very unhappy with it. I could cripple most birds but not kill. So I traded it for a 20 gauge O/U.

I shoot a lot of Trap and I can honestly say I have shot more 25 straight with the 20 than I ever did with the 12. I have gone into meat shoots when they take you beyond the 27 yard line 30-35 yards. They all thought they had easy pickings me with a little 20 gauge. I always shoot an improved mod choke. On the meat shoots I put a Improved cylinder in the top barrel. After I brake their bird from long range. I took them up beyond the 16 yard line and we stood right behind the trap house. I broke the bird and they usually missed to tight a choke. Any way, I have not had many birds to shoot at this season, but last season I killed 7 birds in a row, no cripples. I tell you all this because, the little 20 gauge can do anything your 12 can do. It just has a smaller pattern 1 ounce of shot and less recoil. You can buy shells that have speeds the same as the 12. You cannot change the Laws of Physics. The 20 will do whatever you ask of it just on a smaller scale. All you are giving up is 1/8 to 1/4 ounce of shot. Once you get use to it you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner. I will say this stay with guns that weigh just slightly over 6 pounds all of mine weigh right around 6 1/4 pounds and they swing and shoot well. Those ultra-lights have to much recoil for me to even think about owning one......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    Tarheel BlueUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:105 Tarheel Blue
    --
    11 Nov 2009 09:13 AM

I have to agree with Bob on a "few things" he mentioned in his response above. Carrying a subgauge gun afield is much more comfortable than a 12 gauge, especially if you're hunting the "little birds." I carry a Parker 16 gauge with an O frame. This little gun weighs in just over 6.5 lbs and is a pleasure to shoot with no unreasonable recoil. Any twin barrel in 16 - 20 gauge would be my choice for upland.

Bob, I would pay good money to watch you run a 25 straight from the 30 yard line with a 20 gauge with an IC choke(!). Have you tried it out on wobble trap or sporting clays? Sporting clays is a real man's game instead of that boring trap stuff. You aren't supposed to miss in trap or skeet. If you want a real challenge, I can hook you up with some FITASC quality targets.

TB

"I am a Soldier, I fight where I am told and I win where I fight." - General George S. Patton
    --
    11 Nov 2009 10:46 AM
    TB, Lets be Perfectly Honest here. I do not shoot 25 straight from 30 yards with an IC choke. I use an Improved Mod on the 27 yard line and average 20-22. All my 25 straights came on the 16 yard line with same IM choke. I cannot shoot skeet, or sporting clays any more. I have glaucoma, and before it was discovered it did some damage to my peripheral sight. That means there are some birds at certain angles I simply cannot see. That is why I shoot Trap everything is in front of me. I love the game of Wobbles, shoot when ever they have the Traps set up for it. I take 50 shells with me. I usually have a few left when it is all done. I also like to shoot the Doubles in Trap also. I have not shot a 25 straight in the past few years. I will be 76 in a few months, and as I get older. I am having more trouble even picking up the Trap birds quick enough. I can honestly say to me, "it is hell to get old." My reflexes are getting slowing also, which is another story.........Bob
    Tarheel BlueUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:105 Tarheel Blue
    --
    11 Nov 2009 12:40 PM
    I agree Bob. Too many of us take our eyesight for granted. I do not hesitate to make an on-the-spot correction to any shooter not wearing eye (& ear) protection. My Uncle is now classified as legally blind due to Macular Degeneration. (Too many hours on the flight line w/o sun shades). He says the most crippling aspect of it all is the loss of freedom, as he cannot legally operate a motor vehicle on the highway anymore and his shooting abilities have suffered miserably.

The most fun I ever had on the trap range was when I shot my first ever registered shoot and went 25 straight from the 16 yard line. My squad mates yanked my favorite Tarheel baseball cap off of my pumpkin and commenced to shooting the heck out of it, almost tearing the brim completely off! The second most enjoyable time I had was while stationed in Augusta, we shot under the lights at Pinetucky Skeet & Trap on Wednesday nights and for a warm-up, we would shoot the trap targets from the skeet stations. Wound up making enough $$ one night to pay for my shooting and range fees, plus a little extra take home $$!! You're right though, trap shooting is great practice for upland hunting.

Shoot well and shoot often!

TB
    "I am a Soldier, I fight where I am told and I win where I fight." - General George S. Patton
    cacklencrowUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:23 cacklencrow
    --
    11 Nov 2009 02:19 PM
    Well fellas, that was about all I needed to hear to persuade me to get a 20ga O&U. I was thinking a winchester??? I dunno...I have shot an older one at clays several years ago and liked it but I haven't really shot any other 20ga O&U's. I here a lot of hype about 30" barrels on O&U's. What is that all about? I prefer a shorter gun myself but I hear people raving about these longer barrells. What lengths do ya'll ahoot?

cnc
    --
    11 Nov 2009 03:54 PM
    CNC, There again you are asking for a personal preference. I prefer the 28 inch barrel. They help me keep my swing going nice and smooth. A 26 inch barrel will mount faster but I and I know a few others that find it hard to keep their swing going. If you have used a lot of short barreled guns you may be able to over come this swing stopping.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ This link is actually CDNN Sports, they sell guns and other sporting goods. How they work is you buy the gun and have a dealer that has a Federal Firearms License.(FFL). The dealer will charge a fee to have the guns shipped to him and fill out the paper work. Even after all that I still have saved some good green doing it. On their website is a place to download their catalog. Look it over and you find some nice O/U at good prices. I just bought 2 of the Traditions by Fausti 20 gauge O'U's. Very nice guns for what I paid $799. The Fausti's are made by the Stefano Sisters/Rizzini company in Italy. Good quality and nice workmanship on the ones I have. In my experience the ones to stay away from are Charles Daly ans Stoerger. The guys around the gun clubs swear at them as junk.........Bob
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com