New Puppy? Check Out the Kennel and Cover Package Deal
Top Banner
Pheasants Forever
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Dog Training Question
Last Post 15 Nov 2009 12:09 PM by Hillbilly. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
brittany daddyUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:1 brittany daddy
--
14 Nov 2009 09:15 PM

We recently added another American Brittany to our family.  We got her from a breeder in Ohio who had plans on using her for field trails.  However, because she does not range far enough and hunt fast enough, we were able to purchase her.  She is about a year and nine months old.  I know she was trained with pidgeons and quail and an occassional chukar.  I'm not sure if they used pheasants in her training.  I know that they used the e-collar for whoa training, to help her hold her points.

I've had her out about 4 or 5 times this year.  I hunted her with chukar's and pheasants.  She's done exceptional on chukars, having found and retrieved every one we put out.  The problem is that she's done so-so with the pheasants so far.  She seems to have a problem finding downed pheasants (no problem finding the downed chukars).

I'm not sure if her problem stems from her earlier training with the e-collar where if she broke point, she would get shocked.  They really stressed the whoa training with her.  Or maybe they were using a release box and the birds didn't run, and she does not know to chase them.  Also, it seems like she might not be quite as enthuiastic with pheasants as she is with chukars (she loves to retrieve the chukars, not so much the pheasants).

What I have been doing is gearing the hunt more towards chukars, at this point, and making it a fun and rewarding experience for her.  She is doing fantastic with them.  She seems to have a lot of drive and natural ability and the making of a very good hunting dog, as well as family member.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how we might be able to work with her to increase her interest in pheasants?  Has anyone had a similar situation, and if so, how did you work with the dog?

BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    14 Nov 2009 09:30 PM
    I would take her to a Game Farm or Preserve and buy her a few pheasants. Then have them released where, when they are shot the weeds are very sparse. That way when a bird drops she will see it and if runs she can see that to and learn to give chase with encouragement. When does the whole thing give her praise, lots of praise. Make her feel she has really done something to please you, that will make her happy too. Being field trial stock I will bet she is trained Steady to Wing and Shot. If she is, I don't envy you your task for that makes it double hard to get her to the bird in time.........Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    15 Nov 2009 12:09 PM
    I'd bet that she got spurred by a rooster or they used to many pheasants with her. But what Bob said is the way to bring it back out of her.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com