Top Banner
Pheasants Forever
Register   Login

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 2

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Home Defense
Last Post 09 Dec 2009 08:26 PM by Bob. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
BigMattUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:42 BigMatt
--
07 Dec 2009 11:07 AM

So I was wondering what you thought would be the best load/shell for home defense. Obviously they would all do the trick, some just might be better than others. What are your thoughts. 12 gauge.

HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    07 Dec 2009 04:45 PM
    They make a tactical round don't know what it is called but that's what they are made for so I think they would work better.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    dogpowerUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:60 dogpower
    --
    08 Dec 2009 08:04 AM

There's all kinds of debate about this on other forums and I think it comes down to what your situation is. Buck shot has good spread and knock down power. I've seen what 4-buck does on a running coyote at 20 yards and I think that would be adequate. Centurion makes a multi-defense load that combines a slug sized lead ball with 1-buck pellets.

The problem with these loads is the killing power they have after passing through walls, so unless you are the only one in the house and don't need to worry about accidentally shooting a family member or neighbor, #4 to #6 bird shot would be a better choice. Bear in mind that use of deadly force is only legal if your life is in imminent danger and a rule of thumb is 21 feet or closer (don't ask me whose thumb that rule came from, it's just what I was taught).

My first choice is an 870 slug gun with 2 3/4 #6 ready to chamber. Hopefully it never needs to be used for the home defense purpose, but but it it does, I hope the "ka-chink" sound of chambering the shell is enough to send the intruder a-hole over elbows out of the house. My second choice is a Taurus Judge with 410 #4 shot.

These should give you some ideas for home defense in a civilized society. Now if you are concerned about defending yourself against the forces of evil if they succeed in turning the world into chaos, forget all that and arm yourself to the teeth with whatever you can afford and surround yourself with like minded friends.

Tarheel BlueUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:105 Tarheel Blue
    --
    08 Dec 2009 10:25 AM
    That dang Taurus Judge is the heat. I don't own one (yet), but it's definitely on my wish list. Besides, if the phone happens to ring in the middle of the night, I won't mistake the Judge for the telephone, due to its heft!

I echo what DP said. Buckshot may be overkill (is there such a thing in a home invasion??) unless you need to shoot the intruder through the door or a wall, before he enters the home. In NC we can shoot a criminal attempting to break in, BEFORE he/she breaks in.

Have you ever heard the sound of a pump gun chambering a round in the middle of the night when all else is "mouse-pissing-on cotton" quiet? Just make sure your "visitor" doesn't have holes exiting through his chest, instead of his back!!

TB
    "I am a Soldier, I fight where I am told and I win where I fight." - General George S. Patton
    BigMattUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:42 BigMatt
    --
    08 Dec 2009 10:54 AM
    Great info guys. I was wondering this because I recently heard a tape of a 911 call that was made just last week. In it was a 56yo woman saying that there was a man pounding at her back door. You could actually hear it on the recording. The lady informed the operator that she did have a gun and would use it if necessary. Well as the recording draws to a close you can hear the man breaking through the sliding glass door and the lady immediately places a shotgun round into his chest. The intruder was pronounced dead at the scene.

It is crazy to think that something like this does happen. It made me think that I needed to be a little more prepared!!
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    08 Dec 2009 02:00 PM
    That stuff happens not so much were I live but in other places. I had a friend killed last year in his own yard. The Judge is the stuff I have shot one and at 30 yards with tactical loads it will flat destroy stuff. But you don't want to be shooting a load like that in a house with people in it. I live in the middle of nowhere and still have a gun hiden were the kids can't find it but close at hand.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    08 Dec 2009 02:58 PM
    Never heard of the Taurus Judge until this post. What a beast. Seems a little much for my liking. Saw a video on youtube of a guy that conceal carries one of those bad boys.... Don't piss him off!!
    --
    08 Dec 2009 06:17 PM
    Ya they are a big hand gun but why not it's cheaper then most little pistols and it will take out big stuff. Plus if your not carrying it on you and using it for home defense then size shouldn't matter. It will do what a big gun will do and it's cheaper to shoot to.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    chrisUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:94 chris
    --
    08 Dec 2009 07:12 PM
    BigMatt hornady tap self defense from 9mm to 12ga.
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    09 Dec 2009 08:26 PM
    I know there is a shotgun shell out there that you can use that will work and not blow apart your house ask a cop about how to get them........Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com