Get Free Shipping on Dog Supplies and Upland Hunting Gear
Pheasants Forever
Top Banner
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 2

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Weather Report from The Frozen Tundra?
Last Post 14 Dec 2009 12:49 PM by dogpower. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Tarheel BlueUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:105 Tarheel Blue
--
11 Dec 2009 11:08 AM

Dang boys, the weatherman was spot on about the cold front that moved in down here in TarHeel-ville last night. The temps dipped into the mid 30's. I actually had to put on shoes and a fleece jacket this morning when me & Ace did some backyard retriever work. It was f-r-e-e-z-i-n-g!

You boys heard anythang from Pork, Dogpower, BrownDog or Jon up thar in the Land of Cheese and Summer Sausage? Oh yeah, that's right, they's probably out there getting jiggy with the snowblower and them funny looking rectangular shaped shovels up there on the tundra. Ya'll boys take it easy and don't throw your backs out lifting that heavy white stuff off your dang driveways and sidewalks.

Tonight, we might git us some more low temps down here in the Carolinas. Guess I'll have to put another log on the fire. I'll be thinking about my buddies up thar on the Tundra tonight while I'm taking a sip on a mint julip by the fire, with Mrs. Tarheel Blue curled up next to me.

TB

"I am a Soldier, I fight where I am told and I win where I fight." - General George S. Patton
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    11 Dec 2009 03:19 PM
    It's been 5 to 13 below here til today but you got to be tough to live out west. Supposed to get snow tonight. It don't slow this Hillbilly down at all been huntin all week and goin all weekend.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    11 Dec 2009 04:07 PM
    Like ed, said it has been downright cold out here. Don't cry about your 30's I for one would love to see them just for a few days anyway...........Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    BrowndogUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:35 Browndog
    --
    11 Dec 2009 05:51 PM

I believe PnB is trying to dig his Brit out of the 18" snow blanket on his yard. I'm about an hour north and we have about a foot of new snow. Can't wait to get out hunting in the morning. Should be around zero tonight but warming into the 20s later in the day. Perfect rooster chasing weather as I see it.

Tarheel BlueUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:105 Tarheel Blue
    --
    11 Dec 2009 06:56 PM
    Bob, if you knew me well enough, you'd have figured out by now that my posting was a tease to my northern brethren about life on the tundra. I don't cry about 30 degree temps son, you can bet your dang Geritol on that fact. Hey, did you know that" b-o-B" is "Bob" spelled backwards?!!

Hey Browndog, bang 'em up tomorrow. Make sure you wear gloves tomorrow so your dang fingers don't stick to the gun barrels!

TB
    "I am a Soldier, I fight where I am told and I win where I fight." - General George S. Patton
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    11 Dec 2009 09:29 PM
    I know TB, I get it from daughter also. She just got transferred to Phoenix and she is giving me the stuff about it being 70 there and T-shirt weather........Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    dogpowerUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:60 dogpower
    --
    12 Dec 2009 10:22 AM

<!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 unctuationKerning/> false false false ontGrowAutofit/> MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> <!--[if gte mso 10]>

<!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 unctuationKerning/> false false false ontGrowAutofit/> MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> <!--[if gte mso 10]>

Here’s a report from my piece of the tundra… and remember that you requested it.

I’m located a little south of PnB and we didn’t get as much snow, only 14”.  But it was a wet heavy snow mixed with freezing rain and lots of thunder & lightning.  It started late Tuesday afternoon and blizzard warnings were issued for Tuesday night and Wednesday. Closing announcements for just about everything were being issued.

I pretty much had all my snow moval equipment ready to go (not sure why most people call it snow “removel”.  I try to only move it once.), so I resigned myself to hunkering down with Mrs. Dogpower, watching the light show (thunder snow is pretty stuff) and waiting for it all to stop.

After dozing off into a nice deep sleep, the phone rings at 1:30 am.  It was my son who is with the emergency response team in our local town.  He told me there was an ambulance call to the house next to the clubhouse on our hunt club.  The 93 year old neighbor lady had fallen and was injured.  We have a shared driveway that’s almost a half mile long and the EMS director wanted to know if we could open it up for the 2 wheel drive ambulance that would be getting there in about 10 minutes.  No problem, I had the equipment ready to role.

I went out to the shed and fire up the old rusty but trusty 84 Chevy half ton plow truck and headed up the road through snow falling so hard I had a hard time seeing the road.   It looked like we had about 8 to 10 inches of snow on the ground by this time.  When I got there, a County deputy and the fire department Tahoe were there waiting for me.  I dropped the plow and headed down the driveway.  I made it about 30’.  That’s all the old beast could do.

Back to the end of the driveway and was told by the deputy that he called for a county plow truck, but they were about a half hour away.  The Tahoe driver decided to try to take the EMTs down to the house and made it so they were able to attend to my neighbor but the ambulance still wouldn’t be able to make it.  So back to the shed to get the heavy equipment – the John Deere 4440 with an 8’ three point snow blower.  This baby will move anything.

I got back up there and started chugging down the driveway throwing the snow out 30’, but I pushed it too hard and burned up the slip clutch before I got half way.  The only thing I had left was my John Deere 4020 loader tractor, but it wasn’t plugged in and won’t start in cold weather unless the engine heater runs for about an hour. 

Luckily the injuries my neighbor had weren’t too severe and the EMTs were treating her, but she still needed to go to the hospital.  The County plow truck finally got there and made one pass down the driveway and she was able to get out.  I got back home about 3:00 am and there were a couple utility trucks in front of my house working on the power line that feeds another one of my neighbors house.  Seems either a lightning strike or a downed tree had knocked out their power (among the first of many in the upcoming hours).

And so begins the saga of this storm.  I could continue but it doesn’t get much better and this story is already too long.

As I repeatedly tell myself… keep smiling.

dogpowerUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:60 dogpower
    --
    12 Dec 2009 10:24 AM

I made an oops trying to correct a typo in the above post...hit quote instead of edit and can't delete this. 

Once again...

--
    12 Dec 2009 11:18 AM
    Dogpower, that story sure sounds par for the course. In my old age I am learning to hate snow even more with every passing year.......Bob
    --
    12 Dec 2009 06:12 PM
    Dang DP, that's about as real as it gets. I am sure your neighbor lady and the county EMS/EMT/FIRE & SHERIFF all appreciated your efforts to assist. Way to go. Glad to know everything turned out OK. Be safe up there.

TB
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    14 Dec 2009 08:24 AM
    The snow was crazy heavy andd wet. If the temps were 10-15 degrees colder during the storm, we would have probably had 2'-6". As it were, 1'-6" was enough. Everyone is pretty much uncovered by now and power has been restored to everyone I believe. I've had to take a snow rake after some of the drifts on my roof as it had piled up over some of the windows on the second floor (I've got a porch and covered area on my deck that caught snow). To top all of it off, most municipalities in an effort to "save money" have decided to not use salt on the roads, but rather put down gravel and sand. While this approach does work in some instances, once the dirt gets pounded into the compacted snow all you have is dirty snow. And in the spring, you've got a dirty intersection that is a hazard to stop on and it plugs up all the storm inlets. God ****it salt the roads and take the money out of the bleeding hear, gimme-gimme groups budgets so that the rest of us can safely get to our jobs!!! Ok, deep breathes, deeeep breathes...bad air out, good air in....
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    --
    14 Dec 2009 09:38 AM
    Pork, I can't imagine snow drifts up to the 2nd floor!!! After the newness of the snowfall and snowball fights, angels in the snow, missed school days, 4 wheelin' in the stuff, etc., I would get tired of it in a hurry. At least ya'll are bound to have a white Christmas, huh? I hope the weather coorperates and allows the stuff to melt before ya'll get hit with the next one. If that storm had hit down here, we would be crippled for weeks. Back in Jan '90, this area got 12" of the white stuff. I was home on military leave and it would have been hilarious, if it wasn't so pitiful. You shoulda seen these people trying to drive in that stuff.

I'll bet the game farms and hunting preserves got hit hard, huh?
    TB
    --
    14 Dec 2009 12:49 PM
    Yeah, you could say we got hit hard. This is the third year in a row that we got early, heavy snow right before the busy holiday season. All the fair weather hunters clean their guns and put them away for awhile. Unfortunately a good portion of our customer base consists of those fair weather hunters. Normally this time of year the phone is ringing frequently with people wanting to book hunts. Now it's pretty quiet and when it does ring I cringe because it's probably someone calling to cancel a hunt. Looks like I'll be testing the patience of my banker again.

I don't have it near as bad as I would if I raised my own birds. I buy adults and get weekly deliveries. I keep the birds I have on hand in a large building. The guys with flight pens really had a problem. A lot of the pens collapsed and some places around here lost thousands of birds.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com