New Puppy? Check Out the Kennel and Cover Package Deal
Top Banner
Pheasants Forever
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Dog Boxes
Last Post 11 Jan 2010 06:15 PM by SmokePole. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
SmokePoleUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:12 SmokePole
--
16 Dec 2009 11:18 AM

Hello All ~  Over the past few years of traveling/hunting I have come across some uniquely designed dog boxes (for the bed of a pickup truck) and dog trailers.  Thought this would be a great opportunity of all of you to share your projects and great ideas.  Plus, I am always up for incoporating new ideas into my system.  Pictures here would be great!  I will post some pictures of my boxed once I figure out how to post them, but they are similar to the Miller Guide Service dog box plans that you can get online doing a simple Google search except that I added a slot on the top of the box that I can slide a Mr. Buddy heater into so it won't tip over, that way I can sleep in the bed of my truck with my dogs and everybody stays cozy warm.  I ran into some hunters near Clark, South Dakota this year that had boxes set up in the truck canopy were plumbed so that they could be heated or cooled from the cab of the truck.   Hope you are all having a great holiday season.  Cheers.   

SmokePoleUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:12 SmokePole
    --
    17 Dec 2009 11:20 AM

Well here is my attempt to add a picture of the dog boxes.  Unfortunatly the only pictures I have of them are in the background from some hunting pictures...they are really simple but funtional.  I added about 5" of straw to each box and they keep the heat in really well.  You cant see from this picture but I have cut 4'x16" slots in both sides and a larger slot in the back for vetalation.   

dogpowerUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:60 dogpower
    --
    17 Dec 2009 02:35 PM
    I didn't see the dog box in the background. Never made it past the tailgate full of birds and the good lookin dog.

Nice picture. Thanks for sharing.
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    17 Dec 2009 03:29 PM
    Nice pic's that dog box look exactly like mine. I put down some foam carpet pad for insulation and then cover the pad with carpet samples I buy for a buck apiece at a carpet store. Tony loves them and they are very comfortable for him. He even puts the carpets up on the side of the crate to cushion his body from the wash-board roads........Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    --
    17 Dec 2009 04:21 PM

Well the carpet is a great idea, looks like I will be running to the carpet store sometime here in the near future.  Perhaps they will have some purple shag that I can line the boxes with....that would be groovy   Thanks Dogpower for the compliments....gotta show off the dogs when I get the opportunity.  Cheers. 

BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    17 Dec 2009 05:23 PM
    Why purple shag rugs? I have all colors the only ones that are problems are white ones, they really show the mud prints.......Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    --
    18 Dec 2009 11:28 AM

I agree any old piece of carpet would work fine....the purple shag is just a joke.  By the way how are the pheasants doing around E. Washington.  I didn't buy a Wa small game license this year as they want $180 of one and the hunting in N. Idaho is usually pretty comparable.  However, the past couple of years has been pretty dismal for pheaseants, huns are almost non existant, and the quail numbers are down I would guess 50% from previous years.   Think I am going to shoot a few chuckars this weekend or maybe a coyote or two if the hillsides are icy....don't want to end up like that hunter from Pullman who died last weekend going over a 400 ft cliff.  Take care. 

--
    18 Dec 2009 12:52 PM
    Smokepole, Boy you just told the story of how the eastern Washington has been this year. I have had the worse season in 30 years. Those snows last January really did a job, we have squat for birds this year........Bob
    --
    11 Jan 2010 06:15 PM
    Hunted the breaks just north of Lewiston yesterday for chuckars since this is the only thing open right now and didn't bust a single pair of birds....however i did find a nice feedlot full of pigeons to shoot up. The two dogs made about 75 retrieved and were covered with pigeon blood and feathers by the time we shot our last shells up. Well, might finally be time to but the ol shotgun to rest and start huntng coyotes. Cheers all.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com